Brewer Fanatic

Game 9: Packers @ Chiefs - Sunday, November 7th, 3:25PM

homer

Rodgers looked horrible early on and there were tons of people bemoaning the wasted pick etc., especially when he had that foot injury. I wish there was just some acknowledgment as to the randomness of draft picks. It's not really some kind of master prediction to guess a guy is going to suck when most of them basically do suck.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentioned yesterday but for emphasis, Rodgers' first NFL games where he was asked to actually play (IE, not subbing in for kneel-downs, etc):

12/19/05- 8/15, 65 YDS, 1 INT

11/19/06- 4/12, 32 YDS, QBR of a whopping 3.7, broke his left foot.

Rodgers didn't show flashes of looking like an NFL QB until his third season in the league.

and his 4th, which was the first year he was the starter, the team went 6-10

Mentioned yesterday but for emphasis, Rodgers' first NFL games where he was asked to actually play (IE, not subbing in for kneel-downs, etc):

Rodgers didn't show flashes of looking like an NFL QB until his third season in the league.

It should also be noted Aaron Rodgers did not start either game. Thus, did not practice all week with the starters...nor did he really expect to play meaningful football going into said games. That feels like a big difference compared to Jordan Love...who got a ton of practice with the main starters all pre-season, during pre-season, and then most of the week leading up to the Chiefs game.

Today, after an evening to reflect some, I think the takeaways I have are:

I think we all thought and certainly hoped Love would perform better than he did. But, if you had asked me yesterday morning to put money on what I actually though WOULD happen, it would probably have been on an outcome similar to what actually unfolded. It's ok to be both disappointed and still hold hope, I think. As I noted last night, he looked like he settled in by the fourth quarter and had taken steps forward within the game itself. If that development continued into the Seattle game, if he's expected to play, that's a big, big deal. If he regresses, it's a big red flag.

Still, as others have noted, even WITH Love's performance, that was a winnable game if not for about 4 key plays- two botched FGs, a botched punt return, and a dropped INT before the half. I know it's overly simplistic, but just 3 of the 4 make it a 13-10 Packer win. In short, plenty of blame to go around. Special teams were horrid yet again, o-line blocking was sketchy a lot of the time, third-down play calling didn't seem to set Love up for success 3-4 times.

Plenty of opportunity to learn and improve, and beyond just the QB2 position.

It should also be noted Aaron Rodgers did not start either game. Thus, did not practice all week with the starters...nor did he really expect to play meaningful football going into said games. That feels like a big difference compared to Jordan Love...who got a ton of practice with the main starters all pre-season, during pre-season, and then most of the week leading up to the Chiefs game.

True. Rodgers also had full, normal pre-seasons and offseason camps leading into all of his seasons before last year, which Love did not. I think it's also a little disingenuous to say 'most of the week leading up to,' as the Packers had 10 days to prep for the game, and almost certainly, the first 5-6 of those included developing a game plan with a different starting QB....

Rodgers had full offseason workouts, minicamps (most of the time to himself while Favre was playing "will I retire" each offseason), and most importantly full training camps with 4 preseason games for 4 seasons prior to making his first NFL start.

Love had no training camp his rookie season, no preseason games, and very limited practice opportunities with starters due to COVID protocols in 2020. This season he did get 3 preseason games in which the Packers basically played zero starters that he got to work on running for his life and having nobody to throw to...

Other than that, the comparison is pretty similar.

Some people seem more invested in Love's failure than success. I don't get it.

We touched on this regarding other players in the past- I think that when you strongly take an opinion against a player based on your initial thoughts or his draft position or his impact on other players on the team, it's seemingly tough to move people off that position, even if it's to the detriment of the team your root for. I think you see it in all sports, but it does feel like Packer fans are especially entrenched in their opinions, both good and bad.

Honestly, there was a similar situation with Rodgers initially due to Favre. It look a long time for those initial feelings to get lost along the way.

There's some fair bitterness between fans and the team over not winning more titles with Rodgers. Just like there was with Favre. That they could have used a pick on a player to help the QB is definitely a factor in how the fans feel about the guy whether some of them admit or not. Given Rodgers's sensibility it is actually kind of surprising he was able to move past that and not go play for the Bears the first chance he had.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Changing subjects a tad....the defense was awesome yesterday. Yes, I realize the Chiefs are having some issues but most of them have been turnover-related. They've still been moving the ball. They did gift GB a few drops but I'm excited to see what this unit can do the rest of the year particularly if they get Jaire back healthy. Other than the NOLA game, they've been solid to outstanding.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Let me add that at the time of game #1 GB was 3-11. At the time of game #2 GB was 4-6. That is a combined 7-17 team Rodgers played around vs Love playing with a 7-1 team and knowing he would play.

Also gotta mention 2008 that 4th year where Rodgers went 6-10. 7 games were lost by 4points and less. Defense ranked #20 in Points allowed. GB was 5th in points scored. The 7 losses were by a total of 21points. 5 times the opponent scored to either tie or take the lead in final 3mins or less.

Still that said, I'm hoping Love plays and starts the next Packers game to see chapter 2. I want Love to succeed, as the other being a fail means GB will enter in to what 90pct of the NFL fans have lived with the last 30years that we have not.

Changing subjects a tad....the defense was awesome yesterday. Yes, I realize the Chiefs are having some issues but most of them have been turnover-related. They've still been moving the ball. They did gift GB a few drops but I'm excited to see what this unit can do the rest of the year particularly if they get Jaire back healthy. Other than the NOLA game, they've been solid to outstanding.

Really good point. For all the questions about Joe Barry's hire and the heat he took early in the season, the job he's doing with the defense is really good. Factoring in the injuries, the development of the unit has been excellent.

Some people seem more invested in Love's failure than success. I don't get it.

We touched on this regarding other players in the past- I think that when you strongly take an opinion against a player based on your initial thoughts or his draft position or his impact on other players on the team, it's seemingly tough to move people off that position, even if it's to the detriment of the team your root for. I think you see it in all sports, but it does feel like Packer fans are especially entrenched in their opinions, both good and bad.

Honestly, there was a similar situation with Rodgers initially due to Favre. It look a long time for those initial feelings to get lost along the way.

I think that's silly. Example....... I hated the AJ Dillon pick, but I like AJ Dillon, the player. I like him, I think he's a good back, fits the system, I just personally didn't like using the pick there, at that time, in that round. It's whatever. I certainly ain't gonna root for the guy to fail so I can be "right".... that's just dumb.

I thought the Jordan Love pick was stunningly stupid. But if he's the QB, whenever, I hope he succeeds.

Really good point. For all the questions about Joe Barry's hire and the heat he took early in the season, the job he's doing with the defense is really good. Factoring in the injuries, the development of the unit has been excellent.

I can't get over this: the Packers held the Chiefs to their worst offensive output in the Patrick Mahomes era without Za'Darius Smith, Jaire Alexander, Eric Stokes or Kenny Clark for a half.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think that's silly. Example....... I hated the AJ Dillon pick, but I like AJ Dillon, the player. I like him, I think he's a good back, fits the system, I just personally didn't like using the pick there, at that time, in that round. It's whatever. I certainly ain't gonna root for the guy to fail so I can be "right".... that's just dumb.

Oh, I agree 100%- it doesn't make a lot of sense. But, your completely reasonable take seems to be the exception (especially throughout Packer universe today....).

Let me add that at the time of game #1 GB was 3-11. At the time of game #2 GB was 4-6. That is a combined 7-17 team Rodgers played around vs Love playing with a 7-1 team and knowing he would play.

Both games were also out of hand, meaning Rodgers was likely facing teams that had 'called off the dogs' and may have been playing backups and/or not blitzing anymore and still put up ugly numbers. If we're going to highlight mitigating circumstances, it's only fair to note the other side as well....

Rodgers looked every part of Draft bust in the first few looks we had. Anyone sugar-coating that is not being honest. His mechanics were downright awful when he first started playing. There's footage somewhere of him looking at his early film in the NFL and recoiling and that he can't believe it's him. But the talent in his arm was always there.

I am going to agree with others here: Tho J Love certainly wasn’t awe-inspiring in his first Start, he was fine. I don’t know how you judge a Young man when his Interior Line just did not show up and his Head Coach somehow had no plan for Spag Blitz packages.

Edit to Add: which brings me to Petals. For as fantastic a record and run of success our beloved HC has had, when he is Off it reallllllly impacts the game. His lack of commitment to the Run and his inability to get out of his own devised ruts has a propensity to be very problematic.

Rodgers looked every part of Draft bust in the first few looks we had. Anyone sugar-coating that is not being honest. His mechanics were downright awful when he first started playing. There's footage somewhere of him looking at his early film in the NFL and recoiling and that he can't believe it's him. But the talent in his arm was always there.

I actually ‘knew’ when I saw him come on in Dallas we had something special there. I have no idea w J Love yet. The arm talent is there. I worry about his decision-making process (something we also saw his Senior year), but, until I see him make more in-game NFL decisions I’ll completely reserve judgment. I make zero judgments off of yesterday’s game - as I said above I personally believe he was far from the reasons the Packers lost that game. Actually, he did enough to Win that game.

Oh, I agree 100%- it doesn't make a lot of sense. But, your completely reasonable take seems to be the exception (especially throughout Packer universe today....).

Meh, I think people rooting against him are the exception. Most are just pointing out the obvious, he didn't look very good. I'm sure the vast majority of those people would love him to figure it out and be an all pro QB for the next 15 years.

Meh, I think people rooting against him are the exception. Most are just pointing out the obvious, he didn't look very good. I'm sure the vast majority of those people would love him to figure it out and be an all pro QB for the next 15 years.

Probably fair to note the distinction between the general fanbase and the ones posting on social media and calling into radio shows about him, as the split is probably weighted heavily toward the former, but the loudest people are pushing the inverse.

Personally, I thought the Dillon pick was a sneaky good pick. I didn't like it at first (or more just shocked), but I really like what we got in Dillon. And knowing we were going to lose one of Williams/Jones (or perhaps both at that time), I thought it was very smart. Last year, I was one of the first to see his hands and footwork (in limited action), but his work this year has shown me exactly the same. Great vision on identifying the holes, great feet (better than Jones IMO) to change direction, and really nice hands catching the ball. Still needs work on routes, ball security, and perhaps pass blocking (just a really small sample size as he doesn't seem to do it often). I don't see anything that will prevent him from being as good of a back as Jones.