Brewer Fanatic

Game 9: Packers @ Chiefs - Sunday, November 7th, 3:25PM

homer

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People really forget how terrible Rodgers looked in his first three games in relief of Favre. It wasn’t until his 4th vs. Dallas that he actually looked competent….

Love was better than that today. Not quite ready yet, but until Wednesday, he wasn’t expected to be.

Wednesday is the day practices start in earnest for the week leading up to Sunday. He had plenty time to be ready to play today.

Obviously not what you hope for from Love in his first start but a winnable game if they could kick field goals or field punts. I've always wished during the Rodgers era, that the Packers would invest a little in a reasonable veteran backup QB. They type of guy who could lead them to a win in a game where a large amount of points aren't needed.

I think they thought Love could be that guy. All I heard last year was "well at least at worst we'll have a great backup QB now"

I thought he filled that role just fine today. You need your backup QB to come into a game on short notice and give you a chance to win. Today, check.

I mean come on. This is akin to saying a starting pitcher that left the game in the 4th with a 6-6 tie gave his team a chance to win. They had a chance to win because the defense played their best game of the season. Any player who can hand the ball off to a RB can keep a team in the game if the defense isn't giving up points.

If the Chiefs are the normal Chiefs today the score is 31-7 and the narrative isn't "Jordan gave us a chance." He didn't play well. We all saw it.

You said repeatedly that the Bucks had no will to win as well.

In your own mind maybe.

Like 10 days ago you matter of factly stated the Packers ensemble cast was not good enough to even compete with Arizona who was clearly better than they are. You make a lot of these hyperbolic takes. It's not my imagination.

I do wonder what some posters here even get out of this whole experience and I'm the last person anyone would call Positive Pete. There's a level of misery among some that seems unchanged win or lose.

Jordan Love is fine. As long as he wasn't tripping over himself and throwing 5 interceptions he's fine. It's more likely than not he isn't a 10 year starter in the league but anyone acting like they know the outcome based on what they saw today is overreacting.

If the Chiefs are the normal Chiefs today the score is 31-7 and the narrative isn't "Jordan gave us a chance." He didn't play well. We all saw it.

The Chiefs kinda suck though so I don't what the normal Chiefs are.

However if the Packers had won 14-13 the narrative would be exactly what you're saying it isn't even if he hadn't played any better.

I didn't see the game but I was expecting the Packers to lose by like 25 today. Doesn't sound like Love had much to do with it but it's a really good sign they rose to the occasion and kept it competitive.

In your own mind maybe.

Like 10 days ago you matter of factly stated the Packers ensemble cast was not good enough to even compete with Arizona who was clearly better than they are. You make a lot of these hyperbolic takes. It's not my imagination.

I do wonder what some posters here even get out of this whole experience and I'm the last person anyone would call Positive Pete. There's a level of misery among some that seems unchanged win or lose.

Jordan Love is fine. As long as he wasn't tripping over himself and throwing 5 interceptions he's fine. It's more likely than not he isn't a 10 year starter in the league but anyone acting like they know the outcome based on what they saw today is overreacting.

I don't know how you can say "Jordan Love is fine" when you by your own admission did not even see the game. Jordan Love was bad. There was one drive in which he resembled a professional quarterback and other than that his performance was pretty atrocious and could indeed have resulted in multiple interceptions.

Trust me I wanted so badly for Love to have success today and move on from Rodgers and unload him for a haul but there was nothing that he showed today that inspired any confidence in Jordan Love being our QB of the future.

If your stance is that just this one game today doesn't make that scenario impossible then I can agree with that but I certainly feel much less optimistic about the chances of that happening than I did 24 hours ago.

The Chiefs kinda suck though so I don't what the normal Chiefs are.

However if the Packers had won 14-13 the narrative would be exactly what you're saying it isn't even if he hadn't played any better.

I didn't see the game but I was expecting the Packers to lose by like 25 today. Doesn't sound like Love had much to do with it but it's a really good sign they rose to the occasion and kept it competitive.

Indeed, and one of my silver linings for today is that when it really matters they will have Aaron Rodgers and if the defense plays this way they will have a chance at the Super Bowl.

But I'm going to totally reverse myself on what I said the other day and say they should trade Love in the offseason if they think there is any iota of possibility that they can get Rodgers to commit to sticking around.

I mean come on. This is akin to saying a starting pitcher that left the game in the 4th with a 6-6 tie gave his team a chance to win. They had a chance to win because the defense played their best game of the season. Any player who can hand the ball off to a RB can keep a team in the game if the defense isn't giving up points.

Maybe your expectations for backup QBs is too high? Heck, look across the field and Mahomes is an int away from having a worse stat line. What’s his excuse?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maybe your expectations for backup QBs is too high? Heck, look across the field and Mahomes is an int away from having a worse stat line. What’s his excuse?

To be fair, my expectation for a 1st round qb who's been preparing for 3 years is at least fairly high.

He's fine in the sense there is still room for him to grow as a player. I'm not going to anoint him or declare his career over after one game where he was declared starter midweek. I'd feel the same if they'd won by 10 and he threw 4 touchdowns. You'd feel better obviously, but c'mon guys. It was a single game. Don't you think the conclusions being drawn are slightly overboard?

I don't care about Mahomes' excuse. I am not a Chiefs fan. And indeed, Mahomes has not been good enough.

Love's stat line is inconsequential to me today. It was plainly obvious from watching that he is either incapable at worst or simply not ready at best to be a successful starting professional quarterback.

To be fair, my expectation for a 1st round qb who's been preparing for 3 years is at least fairly high.

Well, 1.5. And no 2020 preseason in his first year like most other QBs have, to be fair.

He's fine in the sense there is still room for him to grow as a player. I'm not going to anoint him or declare his career over after one game where he was declared starter midweek. I'd feel the same if they'd won by 10 and he threw 4 touchdowns. You'd feel better obviously, but c'mon guys. It was a single game. Don't you think the conclusions being drawn are slightly overboard?

I'm not saying it's impossible that he figures it out, I just feel a lot less confident about it than I did yesterday. And if I could get 3 or 4 more cracks with the guy that I know is an elite QB, even if I think he's an arrogant bag, I'll take it.

In your own mind maybe.

You stated you didn’t watch the game. He very easily could have had 4 picks. Adams broke up two of them and Mathieu had one go right through his hands that would have went for a TD. Love was not good.

Then next year we will see if Love's performance matches your expectations. This is his 2nd year and he didn't get a training camp his rookie season to gain any experience due to covid in 2020.

Basically where I’m at. Started poorly and looked full of nerves. Got better as the game went on, which is encouraging. If he does have to start next week, it matters if that in-game development continues into the Seattle game. If it does, it’s the mark of a still learning QB with potential. If not, it’s ultra concerning with a full week or prep. That’s the difference between a possible future starter and Brett Hundley, who never took steps forward.

I'm going to go ahead and trust the actual NFL scouts and ignore the message board wannabe scouts on the Jordan Love front. I don't think I witnessed anything out of the ordinary for a young QB's NFL debut, a guy that was recognized to be a bit of a project when he was drafted. Might he end up washing out? Of course. This game is far from enough evidence to prove that. I hoped it would be better but don't think it was that bad at all. That was a winnable game with the players they used today, it just didn't work out that way.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

You stated you didn’t watch the game. He very easily could have had 4 picks. Adams broke up two of them and Mathieu had one go right through his hands that would have went for a TD. Love was not good.

Not watching the game isn't at all significant when it comes to making sweeping generalizations about a player's future in the league.

I can walk you through the difference between that and saying silly things like the Bucks aren't trying to win and the Packers have no chance to beat Arizona, if you'd like.

Basically where I’m at. Started poorly and looked full of nerves. Got better as the game went on, which is encouraging. If he does have to start next week, it matters if that in-game development continues into the Seattle game. If it does, it’s the mark of a still learning QB with potential. If not, it’s ultra concerning with a full week or prep. That’s the difference between a possible future starter and Brett Hundley, who never took steps forward.

Just don't even ever say that name here again please.

I am on board with those who say you can't close the book on Love's career based on one game. That's fine.

I can't understand those who say his performance wasn't that bad. I watched the entire game. I mean, he was really bad. He had one single drive where he looked good. That was it. His accuracy was abysmal otherwise, even on short throws. There were numerous instances of receivers/backs bailing him out of poor throws.

Will he be better next week? Maybe. Will he even get a chance next week? Hopefully not.

He had one single drive where he looked good. That was it.

I’m not sure that’s fair- he moved the offense competently on both fourth quarter drives, IMO.

I can't understand those who say his performance wasn't that bad.

But did anyone actually say that? I think there's a huge distinction between 'wasn't the sole reason for the loss' or 'played to my expectations considering the circumstances' vs. 'played well'.

Love had loads of trouble against pressure. Certainly not the first young QB to have that issue.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006