Brewer Fanatic

Buster Posey to retire

reillymcshane

Wow, very surprising. Can't believe it unless it turns out his body/concussions are just way more beat up than we know. With such a good rebound year, possibility of DH being added to ease things a bit I'd have thought for sure he'd play 1-2 more years. Probably borderline HOF right now, 2-3 more solid years could've made the difference of getting in.

I’ll actually be surprised if he isn’t a Hall of Famer. He has the 14th highest career WAR for a catcher all-time. Also had a better 7-year career peak than the average HOF catcher. I think opting out of 2020 to be with his young twins (not to mention the fact it was a nearly lost season for everyone anyway), will give him some additional counting stats leeway when it comes time for his ballot consideration.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Thanks for the memories, Gerald. Best catcher of the post-Piazza/Ivan era. If Posey doesn’t get in the HOF another catcher might never make it.

Always wonder how things might have turned out differently if the Rays drafted him at #1 instead of Tim Beckham.

Thanks for the memories, Gerald. Best catcher of the post-Piazza/Ivan era. If Posey doesn’t get in the HOF another catcher might never make it.

Always wonder how things might have turned out differently if the Rays drafted him at #1 instead of Tim Beckham.

I absolutely believe he'll make it although not a first ballot guy. However, how would Molina not make it in? I believe he will be an easy first ballot guy.

I absolutely believe he'll make it although not a first ballot guy. However, how would Molina not make it in? I believe he will be an easy first ballot guy.

Yeah, Yadier is pretty much a lock, but he doesn't really stack up to Buster from a statistical standpoint. Threw Mauer's numbers in there too since I think he is the other post-Piazza/Ivan catcher that should be an HOF lock...

Posey | 5,607 PAs | 129 OPS+ | 44.9 career WAR | 36.6 peak WAR | 5.3 WAR/162

Mauer | 7,960 PAs | 124 OPS+ | 55.2 career WAR | 39.0 peak WAR | 4.8 WAR/162

Molina | 8,284 PAs | 97 OPS+ | 42.1 career WAR | 28.7 peak WAR | 3.2 WAR/162

Yeah, Yadier is pretty much a lock, but he doesn't really stack up to Buster from a statistical standpoint. Threw Mauer's numbers in there too since I think he is the other post-Piazza/Ivan catcher that should be an HOF lock...

Posey | 5,607 PAs | 129 OPS+ | 44.9 career WAR | 36.6 peak WAR | 5.3 WAR/162

Mauer | 7,960 PAs | 124 OPS+ | 55.2 career WAR | 39.0 peak WAR | 4.8 WAR/162

Molina | 8,284 PAs | 97 OPS+ | 42.1 career WAR | 28.7 peak WAR | 3.2 WAR/162

Molina has durability, defense and solid enough numbers that there is no debate for me. Posey was awesome but the length of his career is working against him. Again I think he's in but not first time around. Mauer is a little more of a question mark to me as his last 5 years were spent as a highly mediocre 1B. That leaves basically a 9 year career as an elite catcher. I guess that's not much different than Posey's career.