Brewer Fanatic

A’s Rebuild on the Horizon?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be a stretch, but I wonder if the A’s will consider moving catcher Sean Murphy this offseason.

Murphy (.216/.306/.710) is cheap and controllable. He seems to be the kind of guy they would want to keep if their are going to tank and tear down the team. With catchers being in high demand, even with his poor numbers he may bring a modest return if they did sell.

This might be a stretch, but I wonder if the A’s will consider moving catcher Sean Murphy this offseason.

Murphy (.216/.306/.710) is cheap and controllable. He seems to be the kind of guy they would want to keep if their are going to tank and tear down the team. With catchers being in high demand, even with his poor numbers he may bring a modest return if they did sell.

BRef has him being worth 2.7WAR this season. Former top 50 prospect, I'd think the A's fully intended on him to remain with the team til the expense got out of hand or the trade was too good to pass up.

https://www.mlb.com/news/free-agent-match-for-each-mlb-team-2021-2022-offseason?partnerId=zh-20211122-505698-mlb-1-B&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20211122-505698-mlb-1-B&bt_ee=%2BeDe0NSmzwSBiSj1gAy0j%2Fd6WMfdYUpxUHq3frvtP90NYkAegboh2pC4Bh0xfvN2&bt_ts=1637586636946

Here is 1 free agent each team should target

Brewers: Mark Canha, OF

Canha has been a steady performer for Oakland the past few years, but unlike some of the top free agents, the 32-year-old could fit within the Brewers’ payroll limits. Canha has also played first base during his career. Given Milwaukee’s need for a right-handed option at that position, his versatility could be put to use.

https://www.mlb.com/news/free-agent-match-for-each-mlb-team-2021-2022-offseason?partnerId=zh-20211122-505698-mlb-1-B&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20211122-505698-mlb-1-B&bt_ee=%2BeDe0NSmzwSBiSj1gAy0j%2Fd6WMfdYUpxUHq3frvtP90NYkAegboh2pC4Bh0xfvN2&bt_ts=1637586636946

Canha has been a steady performer for Oakland the past few years, but unlike some of the top free agents, the 32-year-old could fit within the Brewers’ payroll limits. Canha has also played first base during his career. Given Milwaukee’s need for a right-handed option at that position, his versatility could be put to use.

Yep, would love this move!

Would be our everyday RF, then 1B vs LHP.

I'd rather see Stearns take the $7-8M he'd spend on Canha and put it towards a bigger bat OF. With a much, much cheaper Taylor as an equally good option in RF and Brosseau to play 1B against lefties, the money could be put to better use.

The return for Olson is reportedly extremely high and as of right now the Yankees are the only team that has been reported as checking in on his status with the A's. No discussions on players or exchange of names have been made at this time.

I am assuming that means multiple top 50 prospects plus more for Olson. I just don't see Stearns paying that price nor do I believe the Brewers have the pieces to pull that kind of a trade off anyways would probably have to be a 3-team trade with Hader going to another team and Olson coming to the Brewers.

I'd rather see Stearns take the $7-8M he'd spend on Canha and put it towards a bigger bat OF. With a much, much cheaper Taylor as an equally good option in RF and Brosseau to play 1B against lefties, the money could be put to better use.

Who else besides Conforto or Castellanos tho? I would take Conforto, would really love Nick but his D is terrible.

Can you imagine the top of the lineup?? Wong, Adames, Yelich, Castellanos, Tellez, Urias, Narvaez.

Really like that! But highly doubt Nick is a Brewer.

I thought Canha was a pretty good fit for the Brewers as well, RHH RF/1B who has been good the last several years.

I also don't think the Brewers will trade for Olson. The only way they give up a significant prospect haul would be for a Yelich type deal; i.e 4+ years of team control. So someone like Bryan Reynolds. Another thing to consider with the rising arbitration costs mentioned before is that it makes upper minors prospects even more valuable to keep. Someone like Ashby who has shown MLB-level ability already and with 6 years of control remaining is too valuable to give up for a short-term 1B IMO. Having Ashby around makes it more palatable to trade one of the "big 4" pitchers as they get expensive, freeing up $10m to spend as well as getting a real good return.

Would a trade of Hader, Hiura and Mitchell for Chapman and Olson work? I would love to acquire both but guess that those three would only get one of those and a prospect.

I imagine Hader would be flipped by Oakland as well for additional prospects or included in a three-way deal with a team I cannot think of.

Would a trade of Hader, Hiura and Mitchell for Chapman and Olson work? I would love to acquire both but guess that those three would only get one of those and a prospect.

I imagine Hader would be flipped by Oakland as well for additional prospects or included in a three-way deal with a team I cannot think of.

Chapman AND Olson would cost a ton and I don’t think Oakland would be too interested in Hader if they are rebuilding. Like you said, he would only be involved if it was a three-way deal.

Using everyone's favorite trade simulator, this seems more along the lines of a deal to get both Chapman and Olson:

OeaIwp8.png

It'd be a hefty price tag and I'm sure the A's would rather deal each player individually, seems that's a better way to maximize return, and this would never happen, but it sure is fun to think about and would make a pretty fun lineup:

2B Wong (LH - 106 wRC+ the past 3 seasons)

SS Adames (RH - 111) / Peterson (LH - 89)

1B Olson (LH - 134)

3B Chapman (RH - 114)

LF Yelich (LH - 136)

RF Renfroe (RH - 104)

C Narvaez (LH - 104) / Severino (RH - 91)

DH Tellez (LH - 96) / Brosseau (RH - 106)

CF Cain (RH - 88) / Taylor (RH - 109)

Using everyone's favorite trade simulator, this seems more along the lines of a deal to get both Chapman and Olson:

OeaIwp8.png

It'd be a hefty price tag and I'm sure the A's would rather deal each player individually, seems that's a better way to maximize return, and this would never happen, but it sure is fun to think about and would make a pretty fun lineup:

2B Wong (LH - 106 wRC+ the past 3 seasons)

SS Adames (RH - 111) / Peterson (LH - 89)

1B Olson (LH - 134)

3B Chapman (RH - 114)

LF Yelich (LH - 136)

RF Renfroe (RH - 104)

C Narvaez (LH - 104) / Severino (RH - 91)

DH Tellez (LH - 96) / Brosseau (RH - 106)

CF Cain (RH - 88) / Taylor (RH - 109)

I would do the deal if Urias was replaced with Hiura. What would that trade look like in terms of values?

I would do the deal if Urias was replaced with Hiura. What would that trade look like in terms of values?

They've got Hiura at a net 0 value now. So swap him in for Urias and you'll probably end up getting just Olson for Hiura, Mitchell, and Turang.

Wow, I'd almost consider that.

:)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Chapman? Urias is probably better than him in the grand scheme of things, why would we even want him?

I agree, I'm more interested in Olson, but was just replying to the possibility of getting both guys and what kind of package the A's might want for them. But yeah, just keep Urias, save money, figure out a package to get Olson, and we'd be looking pretty good.