Brewer Fanatic

Henry Ruggs III facing DUI charges, maybe more

young guns

Henry Ruggs III facing DUI charges after a car crash that left one dead in Vegas. He is not seriously hurt.

I hope he never plays a down in the NFL again.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Raiders released him
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yikes

Former #Raiders WR Henry Ruggs is accused of driving 156 mph seconds before the crash. He was at 127mph when airbags deployed. His blood alcohol level was .161, which is more than twice the legal limit. A loaded gun was also found in the car.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

how the hell could he have even had enough road to get up to 156 mph well within city limits? I think speed limit is like 45 on this part of road, not like it's open freeway without intersections every couple blocks...

So tragic for the victim's family, particularly knowing she was burned alive while being trapped in her car after the crash.

Just a ridiculous horrible story.

Just an FYI on the Stallworth example. I believe his is much much different. He had gone out the night before and went home. Got up early to work out the next day and hit a walking guy (who I think was kind of in the wrong in walking in traffic, but don't remember for sure). Got out tried to help, called 911 etc. Turns out he still had a BAC a bit above the limit. Much different IMO than getting in your car right after the club and driving recklessly. Calamity of bad luck for all people involved as opposed to willfully doing something awful/malicious.

how the hell could he have even had enough road to get up to 156 mph well within city limits? I think speed limit is like 45 on this part of road, not like it's open freeway without intersections every couple blocks...

There is definitely enough road to get up to 156 mph from where that crash happened as that strip of the road is about a quarter mile. Top speed of a stock corvette is 184 MPH I believe. The best quarter mile for a corvette I think is 147 MPH if he didn't have to stop at the first intersection it is extremely possible he could of gotten up to 156 mph and since he was impaired I doubt he stopped at the first intersection and instead went straight through it so he definitely could have been going even faster at times. 156 is definitely possible on that street.

Obviously, the toothpaste is out of the tube, but I wonder if the NFL is having second thoughts about putting a team in Las Vegas? This probably won’t be the last time an NFL player makes a bad decision there. Vegas probably leads the league in distractions per capita.

Leonard Little's incident was 23 years ago, Stallworth's 12. Things have changed since then, certainly since Little's. The NFL is much more sensitive to criticism and protests over player conduct now, especially when it involves women. Female fans have been their source of fanbase growth over the last decade+. Stallworth's victim was a 59-year-old male, Ruggs' a 23 year old female. I'd be more inclined to bet that his career is done, especially since Nevada does not allow probation for a DUI involving a fatality and since 2013 the NFLPA has offered free rides from rideshare companies for players to avoid DUIs.

I didn’t even remember the Leonard Little incident. Apparently, he only received 4 years probation and 1,000 hours of community service. He was suspended by the NFL for 8 games. This was in 1999.

Donte Stallworth only received 30 days in jail, but was suspended by the league for a year. He also paid $5 million in restitution to the victim’s family, which may have helped him return to the NFL because he appeared contrite and quickly settled the civil charges.

In 2021, it’s hard to envision a scenario where Ruggs doesn’t receive a multi-year sentence, if convicted. Wikipedia says his 4 year / $16.6 million contract was fully guaranteed. I wonder if there’s a character clause in there or if he has the means to settle?

I didn’t even remember the Leonard Little incident. Apparently, he only received 4 years probation and 1,000 hours of community service. He was suspended by the NFL for 8 games. This was in 1999.

Donte Stallworth only received 30 days in jail, but was suspended by the league for a year. He also paid $5 million in restitution to the victim’s family, which may have helped him return to the NFL because he appeared contrite and quickly settled the civil charges.

In 2021, it’s hard to envision a scenario where Ruggs doesn’t receive a multi-year sentence, if convicted. Wikipedia says his 4 year / $16.6 million contract was fully guaranteed. I wonder if there’s a character clause in there or if he has the means to settle?

When I first heard this story my first thought was that he'd get some leniency. By most accounts not a bad character guy, likely first offense, didn't try to flee the scene or anything. Still horrible, but mitigating factors in his favor.

Now that more details have come out, nope. Driving blitzed at 150+. He was a death sentence to anyone who was unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time that night. They'll throw the book at him, and they should.

I use to run my mouth more in high school. It was easier when my dad was the one writing checks. Life has a way of humbling people. I’m just glad I didn’t have Twitter to capture every impulsive thought.

To be fair, I don't think it is an impulsive thought if you basically double down on it and don't regret it.

i don't know what the heck is going on in Vegas, but they have now released both of their 1st round picks from 2020 in less than a week:

https://dailysnark.com/2021/11/08/breaking-raiders-cut-2020-first-round-pick-damon-arnette-after-gun-flaunting-video/?fbclid=IwAR3TCSdpN4Qqf1HFwKduZztYv7K5Voa8ovoNsy9e9a5Kl0it1tiT-HuZjSU

i don't know what the heck is going on in Vegas, but they have now released both of their 1st round picks from 2020 in less than a week:

https://dailysnark.com/2021/11/08/breaking-raiders-cut-2020-first-round-pick-damon-arnette-after-gun-flaunting-video/?fbclid=IwAR3TCSdpN4Qqf1HFwKduZztYv7K5Voa8ovoNsy9e9a5Kl0it1tiT-HuZjSU

They had seven picks in the first four rounds that year.

They've released three, one was traded to swap 4th and 6th round picks, one was a healthy scratch this past week.

Mayock needs to realize this is the NFL and not the internet where you get credit for hitting on reaches but nobody remembers your misses.

Well, no matter what happens from here on out, the Packers will never have the worst 2020 draft...