Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers vs Iowa Hawkeyes game thread

LouisEly

You need two RBs these days though. Melusi just had a monster game a few weeks ago. They also have some compliment to each other in that one is huge and the other is quicker or more of a scat back. If we actually had a passing offense Melusi would probably be useful in the passing game.

And let's not forget Allan has had fumbling issues.

Edited by tmwiese55

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a Grand canyon difference of ability between Allen and Melusi

I can't help but think you don't like Melusi very much.

He has a point. Melusi has a 2.7 yds/ carry and Allen = 5.5

I don't mind them sharing carries I just think Allen should get the heavier load.

He's the one guy they have an offense that is a potential home run hitter.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There is a Grand canyon difference of ability between Allen and Melusi

I can't help but think you don't like Melusi very much.

He has a point. Melusi has a 2.7 yds/ carry and Allen = 5.5

Mellusi is averaging 5.0 YPC on the season which is pretty respectable. He's also a receiving option, and it's possible Allen doesn't know the blocking assignments.

Melusi looks like he needs room to run type of a RB after the first hit he is normally going down. Probably best to use him in sweeps, toss, or screen plays. He just doesn't look like a RB1 more like a RB3. I wouldn't mind to see him in the passing game more though assuming he can catch that is.

They are also the only two RBs they have right now. So you want to keep them fresh to finish the year with no more byes. Remember Allen is supposed to be a 17 yr old HS senior. Probably don't want to just beat him up like crazy and have him worn out to finish the year to take down OSU.

Bottom line though, it's not 1995 anymore when you just hammer one RB to death. Everyone uses two.

Just for the sake of argument say they win out and win the Big ten championship. Where would that land them in the bowl pickings?

Was thinking through this earlier. Assume the OSU L, they'd have 4 losses but all to solid/good teams. Still, don't think they sniff the major games like Rose/Fiesta etc or whichever aren't in the playoff. OSU goes to playoff and I'd think MI/MSU go ahead of us to one of those good games since they'll only have 1-2 Ls. Maybe Outback Bowl type as the peak and I'd still think the other Michigan team is ahead of us to that (unless they have some unexpected Ls to non OSU teams)? Or possibly both Mich schools get to the big bowl group, one to Rose and one to the Dallas one (or whichever is eligible) which leaves us for Outback.

I was hoping for the Mayo Bowl as of a few weeks ago just for the comedy. Or Vegas or Music City for the fun.

Edited by tmwiese55

There is no reason the Badgers won’t be favored in any of their remaining games. Doesn’t mean they’ll win them all, but they’re a big-time favorite to win the west at this point. Astounding considering where things sat a few weeks ago.

I would much rather win the big ten title than any bowl game not in the playoffs so it’s nice to have a shot at it after the start. Too bad Mertz has disappointed or we could be in a better spot but starting to feel like a Badger team that dominates down the stretch.

I cannot believe how much better the offensive line is looking. Beach's foot injury must have had some real lingering effects that slowed him down through September, because he is looking like a totally different player now. The offense still has some notable issues, primarily having no quarterback and only one good running back, but at least the offensive line appears to have solidified.

Really great game for Wisconsin outside of Mertz going down the tubes after a decent start and Mellusi reverting back to looking like he's somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd stringer. I don't think a defense can play any better. Also a tough injury for Cundiff, hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

Really great game for Wisconsin outside of Mertz going down the tubes after a decent start and Mellusi reverting back to looking like he's somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd stringer. I don't think a defense can play any better. Also a tough injury for Cundiff, hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

I disagree with the Mertz going down the tubes after his hot start it looked like the game plan is normal PC play calling when he has a lead which is basically don't blow it. Very little in aggression when it came from the play calling side. All of the passes were safe passes or not thrown at all. There wasn't much for Mertz to do in the 2nd half game plan wise other than don't turn the ball over. The play calling was very conservative as PC normally doesn't get all that aggressive when he has a lead in the 2nd half.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Mertz did have a long string (7?) incomplete passes, so it wasn't like he was just handing the ball off the entire 2nd half. Overall, he did look better - probably because he had more time in the pocket. But he needs to learn to throw that out route. Iowa just started sitting on things over the middle and daring him to complete one going to the sidelines. I don't remember if he actually ever did....

I didn't watch the game until the 60 min summary aired on Sunday (seems like it could come out faster). I was really surprised at how well the Defense played, but Iowa literally fumbled away that game. Our offense still looks pretty poor as we can't seem to do anything but run the ball and throw to Ferguson.

Looks like we will win the west, but doesn't feel like the team really deserves it (well the defense does).

Mertz did have a long string (7?) incomplete passes, so it wasn't like he was just handing the ball off the entire 2nd half. Overall, he did look better - probably because he had more time in the pocket. But he needs to learn to throw that out route. Iowa just started sitting on things over the middle and daring him to complete one going to the sidelines. I don't remember if he actually ever did....

I didn't watch the game until the 60 min summary aired on Sunday (seems like it could come out faster). I was really surprised at how well the Defense played, but Iowa literally fumbled away that game. Our offense still looks pretty poor as we can't seem to do anything but run the ball and throw to Ferguson.

Looks like we will win the west, but doesn't feel like the team really deserves it (well the defense does).

Some of those incompletion were from throwaways because no one was open. After that it was nothing but 5-yard routes if there was a passing play.

PC still won't use Ferguson his best receiver in the slot he did finally move him away from the line though it was only about 2 feet away from the line a few times so progress?

I really want to see PC fired but that won't happen even if the Badgers would have lost every single game this season. At a minimum I would like to see PC removed from the play calling as he just sucks at it. His whole offense depends on having a stud at the RB position and if he doesn't have one then the offense is completely screwed. He barely puts anyone in motion and no that is not on the players not knowing the scheme or not be able to play in that scheme. All of this is ran in high school and earlier football if the Badgers are recruiting players who can't run basic football plays then I am not sure what they are doing. In order for this team to become better on offense with PC calling the plays Allen has to be the starting RB and getting the majority of the carries otherwise this offense is complete garbage. The Badgers WR's are a complete joke with no route running abilities and barely any separation skills at all. The WR's are also constantly getting beat to spots on just about every route they run. Since PC continues to run timing pass routes and with the WR's the Badgers have this is impossible as they constantly get beat to the spot they are supposed to be at. The best player the Badgers have in the receiving game only runs 5-yard out or in routes from the traditional TE spot. I have yet to see Ferguson run a fade route or go for a jump ball instead the Badgers use their WR's to run these routes who are failing miserably at them as they don't get to the correct spot or don't have the athletic ability to beat the defender to the ball.

It's funny how people (me included) put so much more weight on the offense when evaluating how good a "team" is. In 2012 with Russ Wilson we were among the best offenses in college football but had a poor defense (a senior JJ Watt sure woulda been nice that year). That team WAS a lot better than this team, but the difference isn't as great as the perception.

As an FYI this is Chryst's first year back at play calling. They were wishy washy the last few years on who was calling plays but this year they came out and admitted he wasn't but he's taking it back this year. With how blah the offense has been since they've been back lots of people had been calling for it as a possible reason to why. Can't forget he was one of the best playcallers when he was OC and then go look at the Pitt offenses when he was there, where I assume he was the play caller. But so far since he's taken it back this year really nothing is changed from the last few years. It makes no sense why they've been nothing but mediocre since he's been back. Why he's gone away from the pre snap motions, jets, heavy play action, any deep ball threat is beyond me.