Brewer Fanatic

Game 8: Packers @ Arizona - Thursday, October 28th, 7:20pm

homer

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you not care to quote the part when I talk about him doing well in the Cardinals game and how I wanted him to run it?

Fair point, but to be clear, you said the 'start' of how you want him to run it. You're completely free to interpret your own perception how you want, I just noted that I disagree because that characterization doesn't match my own perception, and as others have noted, doesn't match the statistics that show he HAS had significant success running through contact, etc.

Dillon averaged almost 4 yards per rush AFTER contact yesterday. Really liking how him and Jones compliment one another. Packers have to have one of the top 1-2 RB combos in the NFL. Maybe second best outside of Cleveland

"Hey Aaron, you looked great out there today."

"Same to you AJ, and I really like your shoes."

Interesting note on the Packer/Cardinals playoff Jeff Janis Hail Mary game. I wanted to go for 2 at the time and always wondered what would have happened. I'm glad it was at least considered.

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/history-lesson-this-isn-t-first-time-packers-have-visited-arizona-with-decimated-receiving-corps/article_86980238-f91c-582d-aae8-dafa1f8bffad.html

(One interesting historical footnote: Then-coach Mike McCarthy considered going for a 2-point conversion after Janis’ touchdown catch, but because Janis injured his back when he landed in the end zone, the Packers only had Jones and Abbrederis left at wideout, and McCarthy wanted to run a play from a three-receiver set.)

I feel like.... you have 4 cracks at getting a yard. it doesn't matter for 1-2 of them if the defense "knows what's coming". put the big guy in there and plow through. if he gets stopped once or twice then get silly with your other stuff.

To be fair, earlier in the game Jones ran through 240lb Isaiah Simmons, who hit him at the 2 yard line, for a TD.

Jones is pretty good at the goal line, very good at contorting his body and finding a hole to squeeze through for the extra foot. Maybe Dillon has passed him in short yardage and should be used now but I have no problem using Jones there, just didn’t work out he came close though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Regardless of Jones vs. Dillon and who is better... swapping things up and having Dillion in there a couple of times or having both would make the defense keep guessing a bit more. Those last couple positions had the defense running our plays for us practically.

Regardless of Jones vs. Dillon and who is better... swapping things up and having Dillion in there a couple of times or having both would make the defense keep guessing a bit more. Those last couple positions had the defense running our plays for us practically.

And to add to that, I'd much rather be left with questioning goal to go playcalling decisions after failing to convert on multiple possessions by just going with power runs and asking why not try passing a bit more or getting both RBs on the field together - particularly in a game when your top 3 WRs don't suit up and your best pass catching tight end tears his ACL early in the 2nd half.

Having a playcall with either a dive run with Dillon or pass option to the flat with Jones really would stress LBs/safeties down inside the 5.