Brewer Fanatic

Game 8: Packers @ Arizona - Thursday, October 28th, 7:20pm

homer

I don’t think this one is even going to be close. Pack get blown out.

Can we put a lid on this Debbie Downer junk for awhile now?

We could also do without going back 20 pages to rub people's noses in it. A lot of people (myself included) didn't think we were winning this.

Sorry, that one in particular stuck in my craw since this afternoon. Had the prediction come true, and the Packers actually been blown out, I would have been Johnny on the Spot to give him credit for his prediction. I think we all figured the offense might struggle tonight. But the defense has been much more effective lately, which made me believe that this would be a close game. Losing a couple WRs doesn't typically equal blowout. Now had the team lost Stokes, Savage and Campbell, it possibly would have been a different story.

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good win, you can get around not having a top receiver suit up when you get quality offensive line play and can run the ball like they did. Outstanding job defensively, especially in containing Murray in the pocket as much as they could. One of the best games I can remember from GB against a running QB.

Can we put a lid on this Debbie Downer junk for awhile now?

We could also do without going back 20 pages to rub people's noses in it. A lot of people (myself included) didn't think we were winning this.

Sorry, that one in particular stuck in my craw since this afternoon. Had the prediction come true, and the Packers actually been blown out, I would have been Johnny on the Spot to give him credit for his prediction. I think we all figured the offense might struggle tonight. But the defense has been much more effective lately, which made me believe that this would be a close game. Losing a couple WRs doesn't typically equal blowout. Now had the team lost Stokes, Savage and Campbell, it possibly would have been a different story.

I’m so happy to be wrong! The D had been solid but really hadn’t played offenses that put up a lot of points. Cardinals crushed teams like the Rams, Titans, and Browns. Packers showed a lot tonight. I’m still on a high

AJ Dillion had a great game and I was upset as anyone he wasn’t getting the ball more today…but let’s be real here, he really hasn’t proven to be that huge of a difference maker in his career. Heck he really hasn’t been proven to be the “bruiser” people like to call him.

Hardly has he been poorly used so far in his career. Maybe today is the start of him proving he needs a bigger “bruiser back” role…but I really don’t feel his has demanded that much before.

That has a lot to do with Lafluer's feeding Jones as his goal line RB since that 2019 TD season he had when Dillon was a rookie. Dillon can't prove what he is when he's always standing on the sideline. He deserved a shot after how he ran today. At least use him as a decoy! While having Jones on the field too.

I’m so happy to be wrong! The D had been solid but really hadn’t played offenses that put up a lot of points. Cardinals crushed teams like the Rams, Titans, and Browns. Packers showed a lot tonight. I’m still on a high

Me too. I apologize for reacting in a negative manner. What an incredible game!

This team definitely has some magic in it this season. Offense isn't putting up the gaudy numbers it did last year, but this team may be better due to a much tougher defense. And if they can get a few of the studs back and up to speed, watch out. Tompa Bay may not be the favorite many are making them out to be.

I said this a while back in the NFL forum, but the games I've seen Kyler Murry just doesn't seem to match the hype. He is a nice QB, but I don't see the MVP side of it. There was also a lot made about being the fastest player on the field, but I'm not sure he even had a run over 10 yards.... Honestly, he looked like a little better version of Heinicke.

His style of play looks so much better and efficient when there's a guy like Hopkins on the outside taking two DBs with him on every play. Murray is really good but his limitation is his size and not having a huge arm because of it. He's at his best when he is throwing to a spot on time and letting guys run to his passes (which seem to have alot of loft to them). Without Hopkins in the game defenses can play more coverage on the rest of the field and the huge windows he is used to throwing into are much smaller.

Also - he is quick but not incredibly fast. And I think he is playing with some leg issues himself that limited his mobility tonight - even before his ankle got rolled up on late.

Also, credit needs to go to the Packer Dline...they've been solid all year at generating a pass rush without requiring a blitz, particularly between the tackles. Lowry is playing light years ahead if what he did last season and there seems to be solid depth behind Clark, who is having an all pro year.

Still lots of stuff to clean up defensively, but this year it seems they are playing much more soundly on that side of the ball.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I didn't realize Keke was hurt Hope it's not serious
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

AJ Dillion had a great game and I was upset as anyone he wasn’t getting the ball more today…but let’s be real here, he really hasn’t proven to be that huge of a difference maker in his career. Heck he really hasn’t been proven to be the “bruiser” people like to call him.

Hardly has he been poorly used so far in his career. Maybe today is the start of him proving he needs a bigger “bruiser back” role…but I really don’t feel his has demanded that much before.

That has a lot to do with Lafluer's feeding Jones as his goal line RB since that 2019 TD season he had when Dillon was a rookie. Dillon can't prove what he is when he's always standing on the sideline. He deserved a shot after how he ran today. At least use him as a decoy! While having Jones on the field too.

Yeah I find this Dillon take pretty strange. He's been given very minimal opportunities. Even when he has a string of good runs he'll then disappear for no conceivable reason. He's averaging almost 5 yards a carry with sparse touches. Not sure how he's supposed to prove himself, but I am guessing his pass blocking is not where it has to be for MLF.

it's both possible to be ecstatic about the win and have questions about the playcalling and game management. those things can both exist.

I'm happy the Packers are 7-1, but I know they can't keep coming away from goal to go situations with 3 or 0 points without it eventually biting them in the butt. hope it doesn't happen in a game that costs them home field. or in the playoffs.

Yeah my only real issue with MLF through 3 years, and there is not a lot to dislike, is the marriage to passing when it really makes no sense. It's not that he doesn't commit to running, but when he chooses to run and pass is sometimes extremely puzzling. I am not sure why this team with those 2 RBs is ever throwing the ball inside the 5. Of course you'll throw there sometimes, but it really feels like he almost thinks running isn't an option or something.

Heck he really hasn’t been proven to be the “bruiser” people like to call him.

I completely disagree with this take. Just this game alone, there were numerous situations where he either was the person delivering the hit on the defender, or he was hit in the backfield and powered for positive yards. He's every bit the runner we were told he was.

Best explanation I can think of was that they wanted the more sure-handed Jones in their in the 4th considering AJ's recent but atypical fumbles. Which is at least a logical thought. But I was right there with the rest who said to hand it to him 4 times on the goal line, as there simply isn't a likely scenario where he doesn't score on one of them, save for a fumble.

One thing I absolutely can't stand about play calls in goal to go situations is a lack of creativity in the run game - particularly when they have "spread 'em out" personnel (3 WR) in the game. I don't necessarily mind going with that type of personnel inside the 5 if it gets an extra defender further away from the box to run at, but when they run out of that formation it seems like any play they call is a between the tackle run, and most of the time the defense counters that alignment by overloading the gaps at the line to stuff the interior blocking and then LB's are running free downhill to stuff the play before a running back has any momentum that would carry him into the end zone. Jones was great at leveraging himself across the goal line earlier in the game last night, and i still think there was nothing definitive to overturn that TD call late....but I think it would be much easier to knock it in running the ball in those 3WR formations with a shotgun snap and a quick pitch to the outside to either Jones or Dillon that has them outside the tackle instantly and running downhill against a LB or safety that has run laterally just to try and get into position to make a play. Basically, negate all the congestion between the tackles and turn the play into needing 1 seal block by a TE or tackle and then let the RB make a play against smaller defenders who aren't sitting in the hole waiting for them.

All that being said, with the Packers' Oline and Mercedes (who is a great blocking TE), I just can't understand why the Packers simply don't line up heavy when they are inside the 3 and legitimately try pounding it in. I can't think of a goal to go situation where they tried that 3-4X in a row and failed, but I can think of plenty of goal to go situations inside the 5 where it was 3-4 pass plays or a token run and 3 pass plays that wound up failing.

The actual numbers indicate the exact opposite. Dillon has averaged 2.47 yards after contact per carry since entering the league last season. No player in the NFL (min. 100 rushes) has averaged more than Dillon during that time.

I completely disagree with this take. Just this game alone, there were numerous situations where he either was the person delivering the hit on the defender, or he was hit in the backfield and powered for positive yards. He's every bit the runner we were told he was.

Best explanation I can think of was that they wanted the more sure-handed Jones in their in the 4th considering AJ's recent but atypical fumbles. Which is at least a logical thought. But I was right there with the rest who said to hand it to him 4 times on the goal line, as there simply isn't a likely scenario where he doesn't score on one of them, save for a fumble.

Did you not care to quote the part when I talk about him doing well in the Cardinals game and how I wanted him to run it?

I’m simply referring to over his career so far he hasn’t really hasn’t ran people over in his career. Calling a guy a bruiser back I’d expect him to never get tackled by one guy and almost always go forward when being tackled. If I hand that guy that ball to get one yard I’d expect him to get it every single time, essentially.

I’m not saying he isn’t a strong runner, I just don’t think he is so good he is some automatic guy to touch the ball. I don’t even think he is head and shoulders above Aaron Jones in that area. I’d probably want Dillion taking it, but Jones does give them more options and is honestly a smarter runner with better vision. Dillion has made strides, but he is still an inexperienced guy who will just run straight into a wall of lineman instead of bouncing it off the intended running lane.

I just don’t find it to be a major crime he wasn’t on the field. The bigger crime was probably the lack of running in those situations…not necessarily who should have ran it.

AJ Dillon deserves a better coach with his style of running.

Dillon deserves a better coach than the guy who just broke the SB era record for best 40 game start to a NFL head coaching career?

He should be fired so Dillon has a coach who will utilize him more to your liking. W/L results be damned.

Did you not care to quote the part when I talk about him doing well in the Cardinals game and how I wanted him to run it?

I’m simply referring to over his career so far he hasn’t really hasn’t ran people over in his career. Calling a guy a bruiser back I’d expect him to never get tackled by one guy and almost always go forward when being tackled. If I hand that guy that ball to get one yard I’d expect him to get it every single time, essentially.

I’m not saying he isn’t a strong runner, I just don’t think he is so good he is some automatic guy to touch the ball. I don’t even think he is head and shoulders above Aaron Jones in that area. I’d probably want Dillion taking it, but Jones does give them more options and is honestly a smarter runner with better vision. Dillion has made strides, but he is still an inexperienced guy who will just run straight into a wall of lineman instead of bouncing it off the intended running lane.

I just don’t find it to be a major crime he wasn’t on the field. The bigger crime was probably the lack of running in those situations…not necessarily who should have ran it.

Yeah the problem is the take just doesn't make a whole lot of sense man. He's made the most of his opportunities running the ball. I don't know exactly why he hasn't played more; perhaps his pass pro isn't there yet and so if he's in the game, the opposition doesn't buy "pass," which makes sense. Maybe it's sure-handedness or something.

But he has been the bruiser when given the ball to the tune of a near 5YPC on 100+ carries and anyone watching can see that he's a bear to tackle. Not just last night, but any time he's been given steady work. The only times he's been unimpressive are when he gets 3 carries a game, something he was never billed as being. He needs touches to look good, he was the same way in college.

I get the challenge of finding those touches with Jones on the team...but they can clearly both play and when you're at 3-yd line I just don't think it takes much of a football mind to go with the 250-pound dude with tree trunk legs over the 200 pounder.

Jones is the superior pass catcher. And Dillon has played a lot....not sure if people are expecting a 50/50 split or what.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Dillon's usage this season has been fine. A little light for my liking a few weeks, but fine. It's the situational use that feels strange at times, not the workload. Who cares if Jones is a better pass catcher at the 1-yard line on 2nd and goal? There are also times where Jones isn't productive and is met by bodies at the line where you think Dillon might fare better and they don't try it. They complement each other well, though Jones is clearly better in space and the offense is less predictable if he's in the game.

The Packers have rushed 206 times this year. Usage as follows:

Aaron Jones: 104 attempts (50.4%)

A.J. Dillon: 68 attempts (33.0%)

Aaron Rodgers: 18 attempts (8.7%)*

All Others: 16 attempts (7.7%)

* at least 5 of these are kneel downs

This mix seems appropriate for a team with a clear RB1 and RB2, but to echo what others have said: There have been a few instances where the team has needed a hard 1-2 yards and it just seems obvious that you’d first try to pound with the 250-lb RB before getting cute with the play calling.

That’s a very minor critique of a good coach who has navigated a lot of challenges to finish the first half the season at 7-1.