Brewer Fanatic

Game 8: Packers @ Arizona - Thursday, October 28th, 7:20pm

homer

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine just lining up for it on 4th down and going for it, instead of taking it down to .03 seconds on the play clock and calling a Timeout.

Yep. I'd be more forgiving of our 4th down timeouts if they ever seemed to result in a positive play moreso than just ..running the play.

It's the same QB with the same leeway at the line. Nothing has changed. The presnap timeouts aren't coming from the coach. But okay OSS I'm sure you are correct and they're all about the same and we only notice ours just because I didn't give you 2021 data off the top of my head.

When you make a claim about a team doing something at a significantly higher rate than the rest of the league it is probably best practice to not use a losing season from 3 years ago with a different HC and offense. Or at least not speak in absolutes and claim to know something you don't actually know.

I didn't speak in absolutes. I said "I'd be shocked if X isn't true". Obviously this is obscure data that I can't just pull for every season off a quick Google search.

You said, "No, we do it more" and use 3 yr old data. That's absolute.

This isn't my point anyway. The link you posted doesn't really address what I said. The writer makes his own arbitrary definition of a "wasted timeout" but the problem is that fans don't actually know WHY a timeout is called, which is what I said originally.

Maybe Rodgers avoids turnovers by calling timeouts. Without knowing why a timeout was called, it becomes hard to define a "waste." It may not be as simple as "saving" them. Sort of the same principle in using a reliever before the 9th, as you may not ever get to the 9th (though certainly not the same level of impact as a reliever.)

Soft coverage on that 4th down allowed for an easy first and the rest of that drive was too easy. Just turn it into a shootout now. Score with em

Edit. I don’t really want a shootout. A 10 minute drive running down their throat would be awesome

Edited by jason21nl

This isn't my point anyway. The link you posted doesn't really address what I said. The writer makes his own arbitrary definition of a "wasted timeout" but the problem is that fans don't actually know WHY a timeout is called, which is what I said originally.

Maybe Rodgers avoids turnovers by calling timeouts. Without knowing why a timeout was called, it becomes hard to define a "waste." It may not be as simple as "saving" them. Sort of the same principle in using a reliever before the 9th, as you may not ever get to the 9th (though certainly not the same level of impact as a reliever.)

And you also by the same token can't know how many points are theoretically being left on the board because of a lack of their availability to execute a 2-4 minute drill at the end of a half/game.

And you also by the same token can't know how many points are theoretically being left on the board because of a lack of their availability to execute a 2-4 minute drill at the end of a half/game.

Correct. That's why I've always thought it to be a silly criticism, especially in the first half. So let's say that a QB sees a bad personnel matchup on the field and calls a timeout. Boo! What a waste! Yes an audible is preferable but for any number of reasons he opts for a timeout, something I personally trust Rodgers to do. It's a pretty unmemorable non-play for a viewer at home but what didn't unfold on that play could change a game.

Let's say a much worse QB doesn't and throws a pick or gets sacked. But they take 2 timeouts to halftime because a better chance to use them never comes up. Per your article, there are no "wasted timeouts" for that team. It's a pretty glaring flaw with that system.

I just don't think that fans really have enough knowledge as to what goes into personnel groupings and pre-snap to actually know when a timeout gets wasted.