Brewer Fanatic

Nick Castellanos to be a Brewer?

TURBO

Except the Brewers will be hurting from Arbitration numbers. I don't know what projection was but obviously many Brewers in Arb will be getting the max on the projection or even higher when winning their case.

I expect Castellanos to be signed well before Milw can make a play for him. Milw will be handcuffed awaiting the final tally on the Arb costs. Didn't Hader have a 6mil ask before losing? BRef has Burnes at approximately 4Mil. I would think that is light. Say he asks for 6.5Mil. They take it to the panel and Burnes wins? That is a whole different payroll moving forward for him. Same applies to Woodruff and Adames. If they don't come to an agreement that's typically a 2+Mil spread. Thats adding not just for 2022 but then 2-5Mil on 2023. 4-10Mil in in 2024. Brewers have legit 3 players that ark may occur. And whats the new CBA going to bring?

Only if they choose to be handcuffed by it

Ah yes, your belief that Milw works with NY and LADodger money to sign any and all they please to sign. I mean I suppose they can sign Castellanos to a 4 year deal but then when Arb awards all the Brewers biggest 3 we can just trade Woodruff or Burnes and move forward from great pitching for aging, defensively bad FAs. You know because large inappropriate contracts are easy to get away from. We'll just toss in 20Mil one year if/when Castellanos looks toast because we have that history doing such like NY and LADodgers.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except the Brewers will be hurting from Arbitration numbers. I don't know what projection was but obviously many Brewers in Arb will be getting the max on the projection or even higher when winning their case.

I expect Castellanos to be signed well before Milw can make a play for him. Milw will be handcuffed awaiting the final tally on the Arb costs. Didn't Hader have a 6mil ask before losing? BRef has Burnes at approximately 4Mil. I would think that is light. Say he asks for 6.5Mil. They take it to the panel and Burnes wins? That is a whole different payroll moving forward for him. Same applies to Woodruff and Adames. If they don't come to an agreement that's typically a 2+Mil spread. Thats adding not just for 2022 but then 2-5Mil on 2023. 4-10Mil in in 2024. Brewers have legit 3 players that ark may occur. And whats the new CBA going to bring?

Only if they choose to be handcuffed by it

Ah yes, your belief that Milw works with NY and LADodger money to sign any and all they please to sign. I mean I suppose they can sign Castellanos to a 4 year deal but then when Arb awards all the Brewers biggest 3 we can just trade Woodruff or Burnes and move forward from great pitching for aging, defensively bad FAs. You know because large inappropriate contracts are easy to get away from. We'll just toss in 20Mil one year if/when Castellanos looks toast because we have that history doing such like NY and LADodgers.

Just so you know, the Spotrac estimated payroll amount for 2022, is INCLUDING Arbitration figures. Assuming they are accurate(or close), total estimated payroll for 2022, is expected to be Slighty over 100 million. So if they can't add a substantial contract to that, then trade guys and rebuild. Period. Again, if you assume those numbers to be accurate, and you signed Castellanos to say 22 mill/yr aav, that still only puts payroll at 123 million for next year, and goes down the year after when Cain's 17 million comes off the books, and not only that, they can buy out JBJ's contract for 8 million as well, freeing up even more $$. So just like that, you already have two years of Castellanos's contract covered without adding to the payroll significantly beyond next year. So tell me again why they couldn't do that??

Can someone explain SPOTRAC's estimate of Brewers' salaries. It has been said numerous times on this site that SPOTRAC has the Brewers 2022 salaries at about $105. Yet when I look at their site they have approx. $105M estimate for only 18 players! It doesn't include Lindbloom, Ashby, Cousins, ect... When I look at their 2022 estimate for starting pitchers it's $15,500,000 yet when you add up their estimated totals of Burns, Woody, Peralta, Houser, and Lauer it equals $18,000,000. Outfield at $48,500,000 yet they have just 3 outfielders (Cain-Yelich-JBJ) at $52,500,000! They have the exact estimate for infielders (Tellez-Vogey-Adames-Urias-Wong-Peterson) at $19,500,000... What am I missing?

Can someone explain SPOTRAC's estimate of Brewers' salaries. It has been said numerous times on this site that SPOTRAC has the Brewers 2022 salaries at about $105. Yet when I look at their site they have approx. $105M estimate for only 18 players! It doesn't include Lindbloom, Ashby, Cousins, ect... When I look at their 2022 estimate for starting pitchers it's $15,500,000 yet when you add up their estimated totals of Burns, Woody, Peralta, Houser, and Lauer it equals $18,000,000. Outfield at $48,500,000 yet they have just 3 outfielders (Cain-Yelich-JBJ) at $52,500,000! They have the exact estimate for infielders (Tellez-Vogey-Adames-Urias-Wong-Peterson) at $19,500,000... What am I missing?

I'd recommend using Cot's Baseball Contracts.

Just note that if you pull up an Excel spreadsheet from Cots, the numbers in those spreadsheets will be "averaged over the life of the contact" salaries because those speadsheets are set up to do luxury tax calculations. If you want to know how much a particular player is getting paid for a certain season, you have to click on the team logo and read through the text.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/

Sign Castellanos to play left, move Yelich back to right.

That might work if there is no DH...

Castellanos: 4,168 innings in RF | 74 innings in LF | 1 assist every 177 innings

Yelich: 5,487 innings in LF | 1,621 innings in RF | 1 assist every 257 innings

I mean sure, one could choose to play each in the position that the other is more familiar with & put the guy with the weaker arm in RF, but why?

Sign Castellanos to play left, move Yelich back to right.

That might work if there is no DH...

Castellanos: 4,168 innings in RF | 74 innings in LF | 1 assist every 177 innings

Yelich: 5,487 innings in LF | 1,621 innings in RF | 1 assist every 257 innings

I mean sure, one could choose to play each in the position that the other is more familiar with & put the guy with the weaker arm in RF, but why?

Because Ryan Braun played SS in college therefore he can play SS in MLB is basically the clancy reasoning for this.

Just so you know, the Spotrac estimated payroll amount for 2022, is INCLUDING Arbitration figures. Assuming they are accurate(or close), total estimated payroll for 2022, is expected to be Slighty over 100 million. So if they can't add a substantial contract to that, then trade guys and rebuild. Period. Again, if you assume those numbers to be accurate, and you signed Castellanos to say 22 mill/yr aav, that still only puts payroll at 123 million for next year, and goes down the year after when Cain's 17 million comes off the books, and not only that, they can buy out JBJ's contract for 8 million as well, freeing up even more $$. So just like that, you already have two years of Castellanos's contract covered without adding to the payroll significantly beyond next year. So tell me again why they couldn't do that??

Because of how the MLB arbitration system works and because of how many of our top players are going through that process over the next few seasons. Of course, it might get worse with the new CBA, but we'll wait to see how that eventually plays out.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I am all in favor of having a strong defensive team but I have no issue with having one big time hitter that is weak on defense. No reason to have an unathletic team full of Prince Fielder types who offer nothing of value other than their bats but this team desperately needs a right handed middle of the lineup hitter that other teams have to be concerned about.

The one thing if it were a signing of Castellanos, the Brewers could do a smaller amount first year, then bump it up the final three years to make up for that (assuming a four year deal). It would line up with Cain going off his deal, and JBJ option off after 2nd year of the deal. Assuming we have a min.wage CF like Mitchell running around.

Then go in and vote early and often for the DH at owner meetings.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I find it extremely hard to believe we will end up with Castellanos’ services. Paying as much as we do for Cain and Yelich, add the opt in of Bradley, it is simply going to be too cost prohibitive. He will probably seek a 3 yr 4th yr PO? I just don’t see it. The Crew seem to have the methodology of looking at guys coming off down years who have historically had decent seasons. I think guys like, say, Conforto would fit that bill? Maybe even kick the tires (DH-speaking here) on a Nelson Cruz.

I truly do not believe we will be players on Cruz. Knowing Stearns, if he signs a guy to DH, he will also have some ability to play in the field, Cruz does not. Doesn't fit the DS model.

Yes, we have had Rowdy and Tellez, both one trick ponys on defense, but that is another reason I think we stay away from Cruz.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

You guys worry way too much about defense. For that matter, so do the Brewers. You know how you overcome slightly bad defense?? A. Outslug the other team. That covers it up real quick.

DRS has been tracked since 2003. The last team to win the World Series with a negative DRS was STL back in 2011 with a -5 mark, so essentially average. The only other teams to win the WS since 2003 while grading out negatively per DRS were the 2009 Yankees (-22), 2004 Red Sox (-26) and 2003 Marlins (-21).

Of the 38 teams to make it to the World Series in the DRS era I would classify 7 of them as bad (-38 to -21), 8 of them as average (-11 to +15), 11 as good (+20 to +39) and 12 as excellent (+49 to +107). Here is the full list...

03: FLA (-21) NYY (-36)

04: BOS (-26) STL (+51)

05: CHW (+39) HOU (+62)

06: STL (+55) DET (+54)

07: BOS (+2) COL (+34)

08: PHI (+76) TBR (+15)

09: NYY (-22) PHI (+7)

10: SFG (+23) TEX (-21)

11: STL (-5) TEX (-5)

12: SFG (+11) DET (-29)

13: BOS (+22) STL (-38)

14: SFG (+20) KCR (+27)

15: KCR (+35) NYM (-11)

16: CHC (+107) CLE (+41)

17: HOU (+21) LAD (+65)

18: BOS (+10) LAD (+55)

19: WAS (+26) HOU (+97)

20: LAD (+27) TBR (+24)

21: ATL (+49) HOU (+78)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Note: several posts here were composted to prevent things from getting off the rails. We are here to respectfully debate, theorize, and challenge each other with different ideas and opinions.

We are NOT here to snipe, complain, or otherwise act disrespectfully towards others. Opinions are like butts... everyone has one and they often smell. If you don't like someone's opinion, stop sticking your nose in it.

Because of how the MLB arbitration system works and because of how many of our top players are going through that process over the next few seasons. Of course, it might get worse with the new CBA, but we'll wait to see how that eventually plays out.

It's not crazy to think that the combined raises to Burnes, Woodruff, Adames and Hader after the 2022 season could top Cain's 17 million.

I am all in favor of having a strong defensive team but I have no issue with having one big time hitter that is weak on defense. No reason to have an unathletic team full of Prince Fielder types who offer nothing of value other than their bats but this team desperately needs a right handed middle of the lineup hitter that other teams have to be concerned about.

You mean keston hiura right? That was the failed plan last season.

• 3 weeks later...

Castellanos is looking for a seven or eight year deal. No chance the Brewers are in on that long a deal.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/11/nick-castellanos-rumors-seven-eight-year-deal.html

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh