Brewer Fanatic

Nick Castellanos to be a Brewer?

TURBO

It will be interesting to watch Castellanos's market play out. He is a marginally better bat than Garcia, while Garcia is probably a tick better defensively. Garcia is about 9 months older than Castellanos, so age won't be a factor. If money wasn't an object, I'd personally prefer Castellanos. But I think money will, in fact, steer the Brewers toward re-upping with Garcia. Which wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's a quite a bit better bat. Particularly last year.

I also think there's almost no chance we sign him.

He had a career year last year (34 HRs, 100 RBIs, .309 BA). Garcia had near a career year as well (29 HRs, 86 RBIs, .262 BA) in 75 fewer plate appearances.

There is certainly going to be a contingent of Brewer fans with a "grass is greener" view on Castellanos, but I'd question whether the marginal upgrade he would provide over a guy like Garcia would justify the likely much larger (and longer) contract he will sign. Don't get me wrong ... I would love Castellanos's bat in the lineup. He'd be a great replacement for Garcia. But the contract has to be right.

I wouldn't mind Garcia coming back, but I don't want him on a big 4 - 5 year deal.

I don't think he is going to age well, and even though some say he was average or slightly better defensively, I completely disagree. I think he is on his way to being a complete hack in the OF, so he is destined to be a DH. If he is the best we can do at DH for the next 4-5 years, I'd pass.

2 year deal is the most I'd be willing to give him. Bridge the gap until Mitchell, Gray, etc make their way up the ladder.

Also, I can't say for certain that Taylor playing a full season, wouldn't be better or equal to Garcia right now...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I wouldn't mind Garcia coming back, but I don't want him on a big 4 - 5 year deal.

I don't think he is going to age well, and even though some say he was average or slightly better defensively, I completely disagree. I think he is on his way to being a complete hack in the OF, so he is destined to be a DH. If he is the best we can do at DH for the next 4-5 years, I'd pass.

2 year deal is the most I'd be willing to give him. Bridge the gap until Mitchell, Gray, etc make their way up the ladder.

Also, I can't say for certain that Taylor playing a full season, wouldn't be better or equal to Garcia right now...

Your Taylor point is a good one. They can get similar production for league min. Not really sure garcia will be the play.

Your Taylor point is a good one. They can get similar production for league min. Not really sure garcia will be the play.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Tyrone Taylor could match the .829 OPS, 29 dingers and 86 RBIs Garcia put up last year. I have trouble seeing it, though.

I don't see a path to Castellanos being a Brewer (or Avi coming back). I just can't see a big FA signing happening with current contracts on the roster.

This is so easy it's not even funny...for a year the Brewers can boost the payroll..give Castellanos 3yrs 60 mill(I go 66 mill if I need to to get it done). Next year Cain comes off the books...that's 17 mill of that amount right there. So essentially they raise payroll by 5 million. Sportrac has them at 105 million for next year, if they can't raise it another 20-22 million for ONE year(essentially) then they might as well just start trading guys and punt.

I don't see a path to Castellanos being a Brewer (or Avi coming back). I just can't see a big FA signing happening with current contracts on the roster.

This is so easy it's not even funny...for a year the Brewers can boost the payroll..give Castellanos 3yrs 60 mill(I go 66 mill if I need to to get it done). Next year Cain comes off the books...that's 17 mill of that amount right there. So essentially they raise payroll by 5 million. Sportrac has them at 105 million for next year, if they can't raise it another 20-22 million for ONE year(essentially) then they might as well just start trading guys and punt.

Yeah, what's $22 million? A drop in the bucket!

Yeah, what's $22 million? A drop in the bucket!

I don't think he is saying 22 million is a drop in the bucket.

As much as I disagree with most of what he says, he is right on this. If we can't raise our payroll for one season, while we have the pitching, then we aren't going to be any better than last year. I'd argue we will possibly be even worse off. Garcia is already gone, who replaces him currently? Taylor? I'm on board with that idea, however, he is not a given, so it is risky.

We are going to need to open the purse strings a little if we intend to take the next step. It's just the way it is. Is Castellanos our answer? I guess that is up to Stearns to figure out, but this is the exact right time to spend more than what we normally do. If not now, when?

As much as I disagree with most of what he says, he is right on this. If we can't raise our payroll for one season, while we have the pitching, then we aren't going to be any better than last year. I'd argue we will possibly be even worse off. Garcia is already gone, who replaces him currently? Taylor? I'm on board with that idea, however, he is not a given, so it is risky.

We are going to need to open the purse strings a little if we intend to take the next step. It's just the way it is. Is Castellanos our answer? I guess that is up to Stearns to figure out, but this is the exact right time to spend more than what we normally do. If not now, when?

This is a logical argument that I can get behind. In fact, I think something like this should probably be expected. We aren't going to see a full-on "throw caution to the wind" type offseason, but I fully expect 2-3 moves that could be construed as "big" that will likely raise the payroll.

I don't even know what "This is so easy it's not even funny" even means, though. Baseball economics are far from easy.

I think they can and will expand the payroll. I don't think Castellanos is coming on a 3 year deal; he didn't opt out to sign for 3 years. 5-6 years seems more likely to me. It's nice that the high end of the FA pool is pretty deep this year, so maybe the Brewers find a way to make a significant upgrade to a position player there. They have been more aggressive/ flexible financially in recent seasons so I do believe they'll make a play at some guys on shorter term deals.

They have been more aggressive/ flexible financially in recent seasons so I do believe they'll make a play at some guys on shorter term deals.

Which probably means they will have to wait out the market for a while like they did with Moustakas and Grandal.

Most of the top end guys are going to be looking for longer contracts.

This is a logical argument that I can get behind. In fact, I think something like this should probably be expected. We aren't going to see a full-on "throw caution to the wind" type offseason, but I fully expect 2-3 moves that could be construed as "big" that will likely raise the payroll.

I don't even know what "This is so easy it's not even funny" even means, though. Baseball economics are far from easy.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the "so easy it's not even funny" being totally untrue. We don't know where Castellanos wants to play, we don't know how many years he might get, we have no way of knowing if 3/66 gets it done.

That said, if it was enough, I'd have no problem making that deal (obviously isn't my coin). But if we can afford a nearly 20M QO on Avi which we're considering, we can afford 22M for 3 years on Nick.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Seems like buying high on an about-to-be 30-year-old guy that sucks on defense. I'm fine letting the Angels take the risk and putting him at DH in two years.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I definitely agree with the "so easy it's not even funny" being totally untrue. We don't know where Castellanos wants to play, we don't know how many years he might get, we have no way of knowing if 3/66 gets it done.

That said, if it was enough, I'd have no problem making that deal (obviously isn't my coin). But if we can afford a nearly 20M QO on Avi which we're considering, we can afford 22M for 3 years on Nick.

There is a significant difference between a one-year, $18.4 million guaranteed deal, and $66 million guaranteed over 3 years. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Castellanos is looking for 4+ years.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There is a significant difference between a one-year, $18.4 million guaranteed deal, and $66 million guaranteed over 3 years. And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that Castellanos is looking for 4+ years.

Yeah, I'll be shocked if he signs for three years. I guess you could move him to first base and mitigate the terrible defense.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That's fine, if he wants 4 years, you give him four years. And, thank you to all who are finally starting to realize that payroll NEEDS to be raised for a season or two while the pitching is still controllable. As turborickey said "if not now, then when"?? I can fix this team with two moves..Signing Castellanos(as I said) and then trading Freddy and Rowdy(gotta give to get) to the A's for Matt Olson. Done and done. Now look at the lineup and how much better it is, just by adding two guys. All you gave up was some $$ and a player at a position where you have some depth. Easy peasey

All you gave up was some $$ and a player at a position where you have some depth. Easy peasey

So you are going to severely downgrade the team's starting pitching talent for an offensive improvement. That seems like it would be cutting off the head despite the face. Hardly "easy peasey". Unless you think that Ashby and/or Lauer can step in and replicate Freddy's production.

All you gave up was some $$ and a player at a position where you have some depth. Easy peasey

So you are going to severely downgrade the team's starting pitching talent for an offensive improvement. That seems like it would be cutting off the head despite the face. Hardly "easy peasey". Unless you think that Ashby and/or Lauer can step in and replicate Freddy's production.

They have Ashby/Lauer...I didn't think Freddy was THAT great anyway. Particularly after he came back from his injury. I mean hell yeah, I'll take Olson, if they will take emptying the farm, I'd rather do that if I don't have to touch the MLB team. My whole point is, fixing this lineup should NOT be that hard, I just showed you two ways it can be done. there are others that don't involve trading anyone. But people here are already having wincing over the idea that I wanted to increase the payroll by 20 mill for a season or two I can't imagine the horror if I were to suggest raising it even more(and sign another guy).

They have Ashby/Lauer...I didn't think Freddy was THAT great anyway. Particularly after he came back from his injury. I mean hell yeah, I'll take Olson, if they will take emptying the farm, I'd rather do that if I don't have to touch the MLB team. My whole point is, fixing this lineup should NOT be that hard, I just showed you two ways it can be done. there are others that don't involve trading anyone. But people here are already having wincing over the idea that I wanted to increase the payroll by 20 mill for a season or two I can't imagine the horror if I were to suggest raising it even more(and sign another guy).

Apparently one person's "imagining the horror" is another's "living in reality".

I get what you are trying to do. You are getting your expectations raised up high, only to set yourself up for ranting if your likely unrealistic expectations aren't fulfilled. I feel like we've been here before.

Except the Brewers will be hurting from Arbitration numbers. I don't know what projection was but obviously many Brewers in Arb will be getting the max on the projection or even higher when winning their case.

I expect Castellanos to be signed well before Milw can make a play for him. Milw will be handcuffed awaiting the final tally on the Arb costs. Didn't Hader have a 6mil ask before losing? BRef has Burnes at approximately 4Mil. I would think that is light. Say he asks for 6.5Mil. They take it to the panel and Burnes wins? That is a whole different payroll moving forward for him. Same applies to Woodruff and Adames. If they don't come to an agreement that's typically a 2+Mil spread. Thats adding not just for 2022 but then 2-5Mil on 2023. 4-10Mil in in 2024. Brewers have legit 3 players that ark may occur. And whats the new CBA going to bring?

Except the Brewers will be hurting from Arbitration numbers. I don't know what projection was but obviously many Brewers in Arb will be getting the max on the projection or even higher when winning their case.

I expect Castellanos to be signed well before Milw can make a play for him. Milw will be handcuffed awaiting the final tally on the Arb costs. Didn't Hader have a 6mil ask before losing? BRef has Burnes at approximately 4Mil. I would think that is light. Say he asks for 6.5Mil. They take it to the panel and Burnes wins? That is a whole different payroll moving forward for him. Same applies to Woodruff and Adames. If they don't come to an agreement that's typically a 2+Mil spread. Thats adding not just for 2022 but then 2-5Mil on 2023. 4-10Mil in in 2024. Brewers have legit 3 players that ark may occur. And whats the new CBA going to bring?

Only if they choose to be handcuffed by it

According to Fangraphs, Steamer has him pegged as a 2.0 WAR player in 2022 due to his horrendous defense. He'll turn 30 next March. There is no way I'd sign him to a long-term deal if the NL doesn't adopt the DH, and even if they do, it would be very risky to sign him to a multi-year deal for $20M+ per year.

Assuming Woodruff, Adames and Burnes all continue to excel, we could be looking at five guys making over $20M in a couple years. Even the most optimistic person couldn't possibly believe that we could afford to have $100M+ going to five players and still be able to afford to field a full team, much less one that would have any hopes of contention.

The highest opening day payroll in team history was $122,530,400 in 2019. I believe we have a new TV deal, so it's possible we could go over that, but I'm not privy to the Brewers' financial information. My belief is that if they do raise payroll substantially this year (over $120M, not to the $150M that's been thrown around in this thread), that it will be for a shorter-term deal. Either they do a "Mouse/Grandal" type signing if the market goes that route, or they trade for an expensive guy in the last year of his deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh