Brewer Fanatic

Game 6: Packers @ Bears - Sunday, October 17th, Noon

OldHeidelberg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. Frankly that shouldn't be a penalty on us.

Based on the sliding/targeting rules, that is absolutely a penalty. A super stupid play by Douglas.

To me it looks like he's starting to tackle before the slide and then I didn't get a great look at it but I think it was mostly shoulder Douglas hit him with. Still agree it wasn't a smart attempt.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Ugh. Frankly that shouldn't be a penalty on us.

Based on the sliding/targeting rules, that is absolutely a penalty. A super stupid play by Douglas.

To me it looks like he's starting to tackle before the slide and then I didn't get a great look at it but I think it was mostly shoulder Douglas hit him with. Still agree it wasn't a smart attempt.

Yeah it was pretty much bang bang. I've seen much worse.

If that was a WR they would have called it catch

I've definitely seen them call less obvious catches catches.

I have always questioned when "control" is established but it seems like they usually count it the second it hits their hand if they don't bobble it, by that measure this looked like a catch to me. Probably doesn't matter much but Rodgers had been deadly in those late little time situations.

Gotta also remember Fields has a reputation for not having great situational awareness and either not getting down fast enough or not having good pocket awareness, and its led to him getting lit up at both the collegiate and pro level.

Not saying it shouldn't have been a penalty, but if he gives himself up a half second sooner for 1 less yard gained that play doesn't happen.

I feel like if that was Rodgers getting hit (in the head, by a helmet) while sliding, people would be calling for a 37 yard penalty and a 3 year suspension.

Yeah, zero chance we are saying that shouldn't have been a penalty on Douglas if the situation is reversed.

I feel like if that was Rodgers getting hit (in the head, by a helmet) while sliding, people would be calling for a 37 yard penalty and a 3 year suspension.

Fields is a running qb, Rodgers, at this point of his career, really isn't. So to me, the difference is that as a defender you are expecting Rodgers to go down well before it got close so if a defender were to hit him in the head it would more likely be with intent.

On this play, fields was juking and in the middle went for the slide. Douglas, trying stick with him is starting to go down to his left and starts to lower his head for the tackle(where he makes his mistake) as fields is starting his slide. Obviously the slide brings fields head even with Douglas' head and it looks bad. I would also say it looks like Douglas did do what he could to avoid hitting him with his helmet, but still made contact.

Why I don't think it should have been a penalty is because I don't feel like he had enough time to avoid contact based on his momentum after the start of the slide. He's a running quarterback and it would be stupid for the defender to expect a slide there.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Fields is a running qb, Rodgers, at this point of his career, really isn't. So to me, the difference is that as a defender you are expecting Rodgers to go down well before it got close so if a defender were to hit him in the head it would more likely be with intent.

On this play, fields was juking and in the middle went for the slide. Douglas, trying stick with him is starting to go down to his left and starts to lower his head for the tackle(where he makes his mistake) as fields is starting his slide. Obviously the slide brings fields head even with Douglas' head and it looks bad. I would also say it looks like Douglas did do what he could to avoid hitting him with his helmet, but still made contact.

Why I don't think it should have been a penalty is because I don't feel like he had enough time to avoid contact based on his momentum after the start of the slide. He's a running quarterback and it would be stupid for the defender to expect a slide there.

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree here. Any line of logic that requires the defense to have an expectation of how to react based on the reputation of the QB as a runner sounds flimsy at best to me.

Both runners are entitled to equal treatment under the rule. Fields clearly slid. While Douglas didn't have a ton of reaction time, he clearly didn't even try to withhold contact and the lack of reaction time doesn't absolve him of the responsibility to avoid leading with the helmet. Correct call.