Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Badgers vs. Army Black Knights game thread

LouisEly

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't know what we have for QB the next few years, but it's probably gonna be a good idea for mertz to think about the transfer portal. fresh start and all that.

this fanbase is (rightly so) pretty sour on him, and if he has any hopes of turning things around for himself, it probably won't happen here.

I hope Mertz quickly announces his intention to transfer after the season. I think Wisconsin can then get an experienced transfer from a non power five school or something.

The fact PC never allows him to throw is a pretty good sign they don’t have any trust in him at this point and it is probably best to leave.

I hope Mertz quickly announces his intention to transfer after the season. I think Wisconsin can then get an experienced transfer from a non power five school or something.

The fact PC never allows him to throw is a pretty good sign they don’t have any trust in him at this point and it is probably best to leave.

They have almost as many yards passing as they have rushing in the first half.

And their right tackle isn't doing them any favors this game in pass protection, so I wouldn't pass much either.

They have almost as many yards passing as they have rushing in the first half.

And their right tackle isn't doing them any favors this game in pass protection, so I wouldn't pass much either.

PC doesn’t pass because his QB is a joke. No, the offensive line isn’t helping him, but It really doesn’t matter. Mertz is about as terrible as it gets.

He doesn’t really deserve to start.

I felt bad for the announcers who had to stay there and talk that game up like it was anything other than the most boring game possibly, ever. Brutal, boring, ineffective offense vs the triple option. Just might as well go outside and watch my neighbors grass grow up around his 5 rusty, non-running lawn mowers.

So they should start a guy who has four INTs and three sacks in 20 career pass attempts?

Army has the #4 ranked rush defense in the country and that's after giving up 198 yards rushing to WI. They have the 39th ranked passing defense in the country and Andre Carter is 4th in the nation in sacks. And they have the #2 ranked rushing offense in the country.

I think some people underestimate how good Army is.

So they should start a guy who has four INTs and three sacks in 20 career pass attempts?

Army has the #4 ranked rush defense in the country and that's after giving up 198 yards rushing to WI. They have the 39th ranked passing defense in the country and Andre Carter is 4th in the nation in sacks. And they have the #2 ranked rushing offense in the country.

I think some people underestimate how good Army is.

before yesterday, they had played ga state, western Kentucky, UConn, ball state , and Miami Oh.... so those gaudy defense stats need to have some context. those aren't exactly powerhouses they've been playing.

It's pretty bad when the backup quarterback on a triple option team looks to be a better thrower than the top 50 golden boy recruit.

Mellusi back to pretty much getting stopped whenever a defender lays a hand on him.

I thought the game was really entertaining when Army's offense was on the field and Wisconsin's defense was on the field.

Any entertainment value quickly screeches to a complete halt when Wisconsin's pitiful offense takes the field. That unit is downright terrible. I might have to take the time and go back and look at old rosters, but it's very possible this is the worst collection of talent on offense that the Badgers have had in the last 25 years.

No, he really shouldn't be starting, but he will continue to start and it's the right decision to continue to start him only because Chryst and the rest of the staff completely bungled the recruiting and handling of the QB position over the last 4-5 years. Mertz is bad, but it's very very very likely he is the best option they have right now.