Brewer Fanatic

Bryan Reynolds

It was well documented that the Crew went hard after Reynolds. Not sure what that exactly means but the guy is a phenomenal talent. He’s projected to make $4.5 mil in year one of arby. 3 years after that as well.

What would it take to get this guy? He’s had two monster years and then the down 2020. Intra division trades are always tricky as well.

Pirates aren’t going to be competitive anytime soon so no need to hold on to him.

It was well documented that the Crew went hard after Reynolds. Not sure what that exactly means but the guy is a phenomenal talent. He’s projected to make $4.5 mil in year one of arby. 3 years after that as well.

What would it take to get this guy? He’s had two monster years and then the down 2020. Intra division trades are always tricky as well.

Pirates aren’t going to be competitive anytime soon so no need to hold on to him.

Probably something that includes a Ashby/Small and Mitchell/Frelick.

Ashby and Small need to stay...........................please?

I think between Ashby, Small, Lauer, and Houser, somebody will have to get moved this offseason. All have pretty decent value and could be used to bring back some offense. Quite frankly, just not enough room for them all.

I'd say chances are better than 50/50 that Reynolds fetches more than 100 million in prospect surplus value if he is traded. I'd put the combined prospect surplus value of Mitchell, Frelick, Turang, Ashby and Small at about 105 million.

I'd say chances are better than 50/50 that Reynolds fetches more than 100 million in prospect surplus value if he is traded. I'd put the combined prospect surplus value of Mitchell, Frelick, Turang, Ashby and Small at about 105 million.

Holy smokes! That would be one hell of a haul for the Pirates.

Holy smokes! That would be one hell of a haul for the Pirates.

Yeah, then we could play against those players for the next decade, long after Ramirez has flown the Milwaukee coup...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would gladly give one of small/ Ashby as well as frelick, Hedbert Perez and turang / hiura (somebody must be able to fix him) to get this deal done. I think we need Mitchell to plug holes and take the lead off spot and the same goes for one of small/ Ashby but this guy is exactly what we need. Is that enough? it might be. throw in jbj to sweeten the deal!
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

If those are accurate values, it’s simply not a credible system and would have no value as a system.

If those are accurate values, it’s simply not a credible system and would have no value as a system.

Maybe 100M is pushing it but he's a 6 WAR switch hitting outfielder with 4 years of reasonably priced club control. He's absolutely worth a haul.

Maybe 100M is pushing it but he's a 6 WAR switch hitting outfielder with 4 years of reasonably priced club control. He's absolutely worth a haul.

I like the player, but no one is going to give up all five of those prospects for him. I bet we still try to get him this off-season. You’d have to include Mitchell and a pitcher to headline the deal. But, no, you are not going to give up all those guys. That’s fiction.

I hope we make a deal for somebody like Reynolds, Ramirez, or somebody we aren’t thinking about AND sign somebody significant. It would be comparable to how we landed Yelich and Cain.

As for the infield, I know we have Urias, but Stearns has shown he has no problem having five starting infielders with one sitting every day. Hypothetically, let’s say we trade for Jose Ramirez. You could start Ramirez at 3rd, Adames at SS, Wong at 2b, and Tellez at 1b. But, with Stearns’ approach, you keep Urias and let him jump in enough that all five guys would get significant at bats.

I hope we make a deal for somebody like Reynolds, Ramirez, or somebody we aren’t thinking about AND sign somebody significant. It would be comparable to how we landed Yelich and Cain.

As for the infield, I know we have Urias, but Stearns has shown he has no problem having five starting infielders with one sitting every day. Hypothetically, let’s say we trade for Jose Ramirez. You could start Ramirez at 3rd, Adames at SS, Wong at 2b, and Tellez at 1b. But, with Stearns’ approach, you keep Urias and let him jump in enough that all five guys would get significant at bats.

So Urias can play 1B?

Looks like in that scenario, Rowdy would never sit since Urias doesn't play 1B, nor do any of the others you mentioned.

I don't like the idea of having a good bat sitting on the bench every 5 games.

Ramirez should never sit barring injury, same with Adames and Wong.

Wasting a bat like any of them just doesn't seem like a good plan.

I know guys need a day off now and again, but a plan like that means they all see bench time every 5 games?

I like the player, but no one is going to give up all five of those prospects for him. I bet we still try to get him this off-season. You’d have to include Mitchell and a pitcher to headline the deal. But, no, you are not going to give up all those guys. That’s fiction.

Yelich probably had similar value at the time of his deal as far as a "comp" to Reynolds, and he required 4 prospects.

Also he didn't say that a deal would necessarily include all 5 of those guys, but that's where he pegged the value. Obviously a deal would unlikely to be exactly those 5 players.

Reynolds will be in arby year 1 (of 4) next year. It makes a lot of sense to go for players with a lot of team control remaining, but what I keep thinking is that we're getting a lot of guys who will get expensive at the same time. Adding someone like Reynolds should make a lot of sense, but there is no way we could afford all of our guys in a couple of years, especially if we're trading away all of our good prospects who are nearly ready to start helping out (for league minimum) at the MLB level.

We'd essentially be trading away our "near-MLB ready" prospects for guys entering arby, see if we win next year, and then start trading our arby guys for "near MLB-ready" prospects. Maybe that makes some sense if we're looking to get a "free" year of Reynolds before trading him for a haul equal to what we gave up. I guess we'd have a little bit of time to see what happens and how guys play before deciding the strategy of trading them away. At least these guys should retain trade value, so it'd be better than getting locked into big, untradeable contracts.

I guess there would be worse problems to have than to have so many high value arby guys that you can't afford all of them, so you have to trade some of them for a boatload of prospects. But, I still don't think I'd trade away the farm for him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Ketel Marte is someone along the same lines of Reynolds that could be a possibility on the trade market. Arizona is going nowhere, he's a switch hitter with up the middle positional versatility and is on a team friendly extension that pays 8 million in 2022 with 10/12 million team options for 2023/24.

Since 2019 he's posted a 319/375/541 (137 wRC+) line with a 13.9% K rate & tallied 9.5 WAR, 28th best in that span. He wouldn't be cheap to acquire in terms of prospects, but entering his age 28 season in 2022 lines up nicely with our current MLB core.

Great call Sveum! Actually like him a tad more than Reynolds because of

his versatility. What would it take to acquire him? More, less or the same

than Reynolds? Both teams are years away from competing at a high level

so they would both be looking for young, controllable, high end talent.

They also need immediate help to fill out roster. Would either team accept

this offer?:

Brewers get: Reynolds or Marte

Pirates or

DBacks get: SP Houser/Lauer

OF Mitchell

SS Turang

Houser/Lauer, because of their age, would need to go to a contender or verge-of-contending team in a strength-for-strength swap.

You can bet that any deal will include a SS as they have plenty of depth (Turang, Hamilton, Zamora, Garcia) to deal from.

Interesting call on Marte... but both BR and FG have him as negative defensive WAR which isn't the Brewers MO, unless they feel like he would be a better defender in RF. Having missed almost half of 2021 due to injury should lower his trade value. Maybe the Brewers can throw in an extra prospect + some cash and include JBJ in the trade.

Ketel Marte is someone along the same lines of Reynolds that could be a possibility on the trade market. Arizona is going nowhere, he's a switch hitter with up the middle positional versatility and is on a team friendly extension that pays 8 million in 2022 with 10/12 million team options for 2023/24.

Since 2019 he's posted a 319/375/541 (137 wRC+) line with a 13.9% K rate & tallied 9.5 WAR, 28th best in that span. He wouldn't be cheap to acquire in terms of prospects, but entering his age 28 season in 2022 lines up nicely with our current MLB core.

I would prefer Pavin Smith over Marte.

I'm going to guess that Reynolds would cost us a package that looks like this:

Ashby, Mitchell, Wiemer and Hedbert Perez

Reynolds is looking like a guy that is blossoming into a really good MLB OF, but man - you'd be gutting the farm system completely to get him.

Reynolds is looking like a guy that is blossoming into a really good MLB OF, but man - you'd be gutting the farm system completely to get him.

Yeah, that would be a big NO from me if I'm making the decisions.

That is just way toooooooooooo much to give up.

I don't think it would cost near that much. Right now those four are probably four of the top 5 prospects in the Brewers' system.

I think you are looking at a deal that would be similar to what the Brewers traded for Yelich. Brinson was the biggest prize of that deal going back to the Marlins. In this case, he was probably a little higher in value to Mitchell, but they are pretty close. Harrison was considered to be further away, albeit a strong prospect. Diaz was coming off a poor season. Yamamoto was a decent pitching prospect, but not anything close to Ashby.

I think a deal for Reynolds probably looks much more like:

CF Garrett Mitchell

SS Freddy Zamora

CF Joe Gray Jr.

P Abner Uribe

I see guys like Mitchell and Turang as potentially tradeable. Maybe Ashby, Weimer and Perez are movable in the right deal. There's just no way they package all those guys together in one deal, though. There's simply too much helium among the four of them.

Maybe Ashby

God I hope not.

He is probably our future Ace once our top 3 move on.

I think it would be silly to trade him, period, unless of course the offer was a severe overpay.

I probably over value Ashby and Small since we suffered with no pitching for so many years.