Brewer Fanatic

Yelich deals

Luke99

Yawn. Yelich isn’t going anywhere, nobody wants his contract, and he’s not as bad as we saw this year. (and likely not as good as his best year). He’ll rebound back to being a useful player next year after an offseason of reflection and hard work.

That sounds like what a lot of people were saying after his crappy 2020 short season...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think 2020 was easy to chalk up to COVID/short season/no spring training/coming off injury etc etc.

The general expectation was that he would rebound in 2021, so seeing him not only not rebound but arguably get worse was indeed alarming.

I think he'll be better in '22. Not elite anymore, but at least good.

But part of me only "thinks" that because I don't even want to think about the alternative.

Yelich has 165 games started & 722 PAs of average hitting (103 OPS+) since fouling a ball off his knee cap.

Sure, one could characterize his struggles as lasting two years now, they have. One could also characterize them as lasting a sliver over one full season with multiple extenuating circumstances (knee cap, pandemic, back) sprinkled in.

Looking at Christian's career arc there have essentially been four Yeliches so far...

2013-2015 | 1458 PAs | 771 OPS

2016-1h18 | 1711 PAs | 830 OPS

2h18-2019 | 874 PAs | 1140 OPS

2020-2021 | 722 PAs | 752 OPS

Outside of maybe flashes here & there third Yelich is probably gone forever, but with fourth Yelich dipping below even first Yelich my prediction is that fifth Yelich rebounds to somewhere a little above second Yelich starting in 2022.

If you think that sounds convoluted, trading Yelich's contract would be even more convoluted.

Nobody hopes Christian stays the same, so all that's left to hope for is that he gets better or gets traded. The odds of him getting traded are essentially nil, so the odds of him getting better (slim as one may believe them to be) are still higher. I'll hope for that.

I just don't see many realistic scenarios where this would happen in the off-season. A team with a big enough market/potential payroll to take on the risk but probably not good enough to have better alternatives than what he's put up the last 2 seasons?

Texas? for..... Solak? or one their second tier prospects.

Would he even pass the other team's physical? I have to believe he's not over his injuries over the last couple seasons. Maybe he's done, but I don't believe that. The franchise obviously needs him to rebound. He might be done as an MVP but I think (gulp..hope) there's still an All-star level player there. Right now the contract looks bad but trading him for peanuts and having him bounce back would be worse, imo.

Yawn. Yelich isn’t going anywhere, nobody wants his contract, and he’s not as bad as we saw this year. (and likely not as good as his best year). He’ll rebound back to being a useful player next year after an offseason of reflection and hard work.

That sounds like what a lot of people were saying after his crappy 2020 short season...

Yet 2020 which was a garbage trash season that counts for nothing for anybody and 2021 combined are only a seasons worth of ABs off a bad injury, and a bad back to boot. His final AB of the year was pathetic, but im sorry, not going to sit here with recency bias firmly planted in the head and call him trash because he ended our season. .265/.380 with 15-20 HR ain’t mike trout or mvp yelich but that’ll make the offense function just fine.

Yet 2020 which was a garbage trash season that counts for nothing for anybody and 2021 combined are only a seasons worth of ABs off a bad injury, and a bad back to boot. His final AB of the year was pathetic, but im sorry, not going to sit here with recency bias firmly planted in the head and call him trash because he ended our season. .265/.380 with 15-20 HR ain’t mike trout or mvp yelich but that’ll make the offense function just fine.

I don't think people are disappointed in Yelich solely because he ended our season....the 500 or so ABs before then are what have people worried.

.265/.380 and 15-20 HR would sadly be a step in the right direction yes. Unfortunately he was not even that good at. 248/.362/ 9 HR.

Who says no to this assuming the NTC is not an issue for either.

Yelich for Stanton.

If I'm adding right the money is pretty close. 6/189 for Stanton vs 7/188.5 for Yelich.

Giancarlo's posted a 138 wRC+ over the last two seasons though, so Yankees would probably say no.

Who says no to this assuming the NTC is not an issue for either.

Yelich for Stanton.

If I'm adding right the money is pretty close. 6/189 for Stanton vs 7/188.5 for Yelich.

Giancarlo's posted a 138 wRC+ over the last two seasons though, so Yankees would probably say no.

There are a couple of years where the Yankees save about $3-6m a season and then the team option in 2028 for $10m is the real kicker. Does the $6m in savings from 23-26 allow the Yankees to pick someone else up and stay below the tax? The savings would put the Yankees under $100m from 23-26 before arbitration. Does that give them more financial freedom to go out and pick up a better free agent than what Stanton would be in his age 33-35 seasons?

I think the Yankees say no but there are some financial benefits for the Yankees by moving Stanton for Yelich.

I think you give Yelich 1 more year to right the ship. Look he has been bad but he did have a .362 obp and if he didn't smash everything in the ground there is still the Marlins version of Yelich there. I doubt he hits 35 HR's again but I wouldn't dump him for trash. If next year there is still no power and adjustments I would look at salary dump options. Also with the DH likely coming maybe giving him a day or two a week as the DH makes a difference.

If they did I wouldn't mind a trade like Yelich (future money???) and a good prospect (???Small, Turang, Mitchell) or Houser/Lauer for Matt Chapman and Elvis Andrus. Then flip Andrus for Eric Hosmer (and some cash or a prospect) Hosmer mans 1st, Rowdy DH's (I am assuming universal DH). I think Hosmer could flourish going from 2 of the least hitter friendly parks (KC/SD) to Milwaukee.

I think you give Yelich 1 more year to right the ship. Look he has been bad but he did have a .362 obp and if he didn't smash everything in the ground there is still the Marlins version of Yelich there. I doubt he hits 35 HR's again but I wouldn't dump him for trash. If next year there is still no power and adjustments I would look at salary dump options. Also with the DH likely coming maybe giving him a day or two a week as the DH makes a difference.

If they did I wouldn't mind a trade like Yelich (future money???) and a good prospect (???Small, Turang, Mitchell) or Houser/Lauer for Matt Chapman and Elvis Andrus. Then flip Andrus for Eric Hosmer (and some cash or a prospect) Hosmer mans 1st, Rowdy DH's (I am assuming universal DH). I think Hosmer could flourish going from 2 of the least hitter friendly parks (KC/SD) to Milwaukee.

Why in the world would the A's want anything to do with Yelich if he continues to stink? No prospect or Houser/Lauer would be worth the tremendous amount of salary they would be taking on. If Andrus doesn't get the ABs next year he would be a FA in 2023 and Chapman would have two years at about 1/2 of Yelich's contract. A big no thanks on Hosmer and his contract.

The thing that frightens me even more about Yelich is his 362 OBP with only 248 AVG and 9HRs. With a low average and poor power, a high walk rate is not sustainable.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

The thing that frightens me even more about Yelich is his 362 OBP with only 248 AVG and 9HRs. With a low average and poor power, a high walk rate is not sustainable.

Nope, especially since the league is now figuring out that he is not a threat, and if they were pitching around him the past two seasons, that will surely stop in the future now that they know he is not the same player as 2018 and 2019.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Nope, especially since the league is now figuring out that he is not a threat, and if they were pitching around him the past two seasons, that will surely stop in the future now that they know he is not the same player as 2018 and 2019.

Correct. They have already figured it out. He drew 40 walks in 196 PAs the first 3 months, 30 in 279 PAs afterwards. The OBP fell from .403 to .333. He's not even close to a .360-.370 OBP now that many people still seem to think he is.

Said everyone after his 2020 season.

There is no deal to be had. Even if there was, expecting him to return to a 1.5 WAR player is a better move than trading him and coughing up $100MM.

There is no way the Brewers cough up more than 10mil in a trade its nonsense you assure 100mil or even close to that. Braun was never traded. Like let's be serious, somebody here can probably find the history of Brewers sending money in a trade. I doubt it is more than 10Mil.

Yes, they probably won't.

But he's got likely well over $100M in negative market value.

Ergo, he's probably not going anywhere.

That is exactly where I'm at. Going nowhere until he has any performance year with mid+ 800 OPS. Haines being fired gives some hope that a new voice instills a more confident Yeli at the plate. How bad was his confidence this year? Between he and JBJ, I assumed Yelich may at least work a walk.

Did you guys see the Haudricourt analysis of how many grounders he was hitting late in the year? It was absurd. But at the same time, you’d think that could get fixed. He’s a 29 year old major leaguer. He should be able to get back to Marlins Yelich. Forget about the contract, it has been done. We just need him to be a good player and help. He was useless this year and that’s what we can’t have anymore. Hopefully they get him on a good plan.