Brewer Fanatic

Yelich deals

Luke99

Hoping to see if anyone has any realistic Yelich deals.

His value is negative. We will have to take back money. It may not even be the right move. Just want to see what people think and to get my mind of the loss

One I came up with but not sure how the White Sox feel about the long term money

Brewers trade

Yelich

White Sox trade

Kimbral (16 million next year)

Kuechel (18 million next year, 20 million in 2023)

Sheets

We take on an additional 8 million next year, save 6 million in 2023, then clear sailing after that. Frees up money for Woody, Burnes, Adames, etc.

This would also enable us to shop Hader more seriously. Kuechel is garbage but he can play the Brett Anderson role for us.

Just an idea.

There are usually no bad ideas, but this is a bad idea. He has basically had one season worth of bad play with the Brewers (722 ABs in 2020 and 2021, he had 695 ABs his last year in Miami). Trading $10M Hader who was elite, for $16M Kimbrel who was garbage is bad. $18M for Keuchel who wouldnt even make our rotation? Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Lauer, Houser, Ashby all better options who are probably making a combined $18M.

I'd much rather take the $26M risk that Yelich regains form.

I would do that trade in a heartbeat to dump Yelich's contract, Yelich likely would not and the White Sox would not, because there is not enough negative value coming back our way.

There is no way we get off the hook that easily with just 2 years of Kuechel. We are stuck with Yelich. Nothing to do but hope he rebounds.

I think the White Sox would be interested in Cain and even Bradley if they could dump Kuechel's salary. There defense in RF was bad.

They also have a huge hole at 2B. Hernandez was a major disappointment.

How about Cain and Wong for Sheets, Burger, and Kuechel? Brewers could move Urias to 2B full time when Burger is ready, play Taylor full time in CF, Sheets in RF and have their 3B of the future in Burger. Brewers could use the $8.5 million saved for 2022 to bring back Escobar to play 2nd base on a one year stopgap deal leaving Urias at third until Burger is ready. At best Kuechel could fill Brett Anderson role in 6th starter spot.

I think the White Sox would be interested in Cain and even Bradley if they could dump Kuechel's salary. There defense in RF was bad.

How about Cain and Wong for Sheets, Burger, and Kuechel? Brewers could move Urias to 2B full time when Burger is ready, play Taylor full time in CF, Sheets in RF and have their 3B of the future in Burger. Brewers could use the $8.5 million saved for 2022 to bring back Escobar to play 2nd base on a one year stopgap deal leaving Urias at third until Burger is ready. At best Kuechel could fill Brett Anderson role in 6th starter spot.

Why would the White Sox have any interest in your deal? Cain and Kuechel have almost the same contract. They would be trading Sheets and Burger for 2 yrs of Wong and his $19m contract. I think the Sox value Sheets, Burger, and Hernandez more than they would Wong.

I think it’s about $180M we owe Yelich. If we can’t find a team that just wants the contract (very likely) then to convince some team to take that much bad money would require a real game changer, it can’t be done with minor players. I think we have between 2-4 guys like that in our org. Burnes, Woodruff, maybe Peralta, maybe Hader.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Cain and JBJ profile as CFers where the White Sox have Luis Robert. If the Sox need a right fielder better than the combo of Andrew Vaughn, Gavin Sheets and Leury Garcia; they would simply trade for a RFer or sign one, not take the Brewers high priced CFers coming off disappointing seasons.

As for the rest, Escobar made 7.6 million dollars this year, put up a 2.4 WAR and clubbed 28 homeruns...he'll get multi-year offers and for much more than 8.5 million dollars per.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yelich has - arguably - the worst contract in all of baseball. Seven more years at $26M a year. That's some heap big amounts of coin. Sure there are some deferrals - but in the end - it's still $26M a year.

That's Albert Pujols bad. Miggy Cabrera bad. Where you're stuck owing $25-30M annually for 6-7 years to a guy who is lucky to have a positive WAR during that time.

No one will want this contract. You can throw in Mitchell, Turang, Ashby and Frelick and I don't think anyone would take him.

There are not many other contracts this bad in baseball. Strasburg and Corbin are awful looking. Even bad contracts like Cano, Hosmer, Bumgarner and Miggy are only - at most - for a few more years - so they aren't as crippling long term.

Strasburg is probably the closest looking contract - $165M over the next five years.

You have to wonder if Yelich's back issues are the root of things. And back issues have a tendency to linger.

Perhaps I'm more skeptical about Yelich than others. He is still only 29 - so there's a lot of time for him to rebound. But I don't see a team like Chicago giving up three players - making $55M or so - to take on $180M+ in salary - on the hope that Yelich regains his form.

In the end, the difficult thing about Yelich is that he was not good the last two years. He's had some injuries. If he was owed a lot of money - but was good - well, sure you could trade him. But he's not good right now.

I mean - we can try and unload him on someone. But I think teams are savvy enough not to bite on his contract.

I think in the end the thing to do is work with Christian - see if we can identify what's been his problem - and try and correct - and get him back to being a good player in 2022. I don't expect .330 and 40 HRs. But if he can hit .280 and 20 HR - that's okay. Not worth $26M - but still helpful.

I don't think it's realistic to trade Yelich unless it's some bizarre circumstance. We are going to have to hope that he finds a solution out of the long term funk he is in. We don't know if it's his back, a mental issue, being confused in approach, or something else. If I had to guess, he is pressing. As has been said many times, we don't need MVP Yelich. We just need him to be good again. There was a period after the ASG (I think in August) where he was hitting the ball hard and we hoped he was coming out of it.

Hiura is frankly in the same boat, sans the obscene amount of money.

If both of those guys became plus hitters again, this an entirely different team.

I think in the end the thing to do is work with Christian - see if we can identify what's been his problem - and try and correct - and get him back to being a good player in 2022. I don't expect .330 and 40 HRs. But if he can hit .280 and 20 HR - that's okay. Not worth $26M - but still helpful.

Good summation, reilly. $26M only buys about 3 WAR though, so .280 & 20 HR is probably in the neighborhood of the break even point.

Looking at young Yelich, something like his 2015...525 PAs | 118 OPS+ | +3 BSR | +7 FLD came out to 3.6 WAR. Drop that fielding closer to average & that's still right around 3 WAR.

In 2018/19 he way overshot his projections, in 2020/21 he way undershot them. I'm going to guess his 2022 projections come in somewhere around that 118 OPS+ young Yelich posted in 2015. I'll also guess that 2022 Yelich beats that projection and comes in right around his career 132 OPS+.

Even if that kind of rebound seems like crazy talk after 175 games of decidedly average play, its still much more likely than anyone wanting to acquire Yelich's contract & Christian also waiving his NTC to facilitate that transaction, so I'll hope for the former instead.

Good summation, reilly. $26M only buys about 3 WAR though, so .280 & 20 HR is probably in the neighborhood of the break even point.

Looking at young Yelich, something like his 2015...525 PAs | 118 OPS+ | +3 BSR | +7 FLD came out to 3.6 WAR. Drop that fielding closer to average & that's still right around 3 WAR.

In 2018/19 he way overshot his projections, in 2020/21 he way undershot them. I'm going to guess his 2022 projections come in somewhere around that 118 OPS+ young Yelich posted in 2015. I'll also guess that 2022 Yelich beats that projection and comes in right around his career 132 OPS+.

Even if that kind of rebound seems like crazy talk after 175 games of decidedly average play, its still much more likely than anyone wanting to acquire Yelich's contract & Christian also waiving his NTC to facilitate that transaction , so I'll hope for the former instead.

While I don't think the Brewers are really desirous to trade Yelich, if they were his NTC wouldn't be a sticking point. It's not as if went to Whitefish Bay High where he's attached to the area somehow. Moreover he's not really in a position to demand additional contract terms in the event of a trade, so his NTC is largely irrelevant.

Yelich and Strasburg are pretty close in remaining pay. If the Brewers were to trade Yelich for some other team's garbage that would be a good match.

Yelich 2022-2029--26 million per year.

Strasburg 2022-2029. 35 million per year with 11 million deferred (Thus 24 million up front) when his contract ends in 2026, he is entitled to three annual deferment payments of 27 million dollars made payable in 2027, 2028, and 2029.

Don't think this would be hard to do. Right off the bat; NYY take Yelich trade Aaron Hicks in return. Reunite Yelich with Stanton. The upside Yelich brings has to be appealing while paying him 10mil less by removing Hicks contract.

Yelich is owed about $140M more than Hicks and unless the Brewers threw in major cash ($95+M) I can't see the Yankees even considering a Yelich for Hicks deal. I think both teams are stuck with their bad contracts.

Don't think this would be hard to do. Right off the bat; NYY take Yelich trade Aaron Hicks in return. Reunite Yelich with Stanton. The upside Yelich brings has to be appealing while paying him 10mil less by removing Hicks contract.

Yelich is owed about $140M more than Hicks and unless the Brewers threw in major cash ($95+M) I can't see the Yankees even considering a Yelich for Hicks deal. I think both teams are stuck with their bad contracts.

So you are putting Yelich's yearly value below 8mil. Below JBJs value. Yeah you might want to question your thinking.

The Yankees are loaded with 1Bil plus revenue yearly. Understand removing a near 10mil a yr contract for a potential MVP type at 16mil a year and then holding a bad finish is a lottery luxury they could take on. The Yankees don't need Yelich to be #1 batter on their team like Milwaukee does. But a Yelich like 2018 performance exceeds anything they can buy in FA this year for 16mil. Find a 2019 Yelich version and You're the smartest, slickest GM in baseball. There wasn't a prospect sought back to the Brewers in the idea. Just trading contracts that each franchise could handle. Brewers with little upside, Yankees with Elite upside.

Would think this is a slam dunk trade for NY while the embarrassment potential for Milws side be why it wouldn't happen. Say Haines is let go and a new voice leads to a return more to 2018 Yelich. Cause that is all Yeli has had to work with after signing that contract.

So you are putting Yelich's yearly value below 8mil. Below JBJs value. Yeah you might want to question your thinking.

You can't equate Yelich's hypothetical value with JBJs actual contract. JBJ obviously isn't worth $8M.

The Yankees are loaded with 1Bil plus revenue yearly. Understand removing a near 10mil a yr contract for a potential MVP type at 16mil a year and then holding a bad finish is a lottery luxury they could take on. The Yankees don't need Yelich to be #1 batter on their team like Milwaukee does. But a Yelich like 2018 performance exceeds anything they can buy in FA this year for 16mil. Find a 2019 Yelich version and You're the smartest, slickest GM in baseball. There wasn't a prospect sought back to the Brewers in the idea. Just trading contracts that each franchise could handle. Brewers with little upside, Yankees with Elite upside.

Would think this is a slam dunk trade for NY while the embarrassment potential for Milws side be why it wouldn't happen. Say Haines is let go and a new voice leads to a return more to 2018 Yelich. Cause that is all Yeli has had to work with after signing that contract.

You are assuming Yelich will return to something close to his 2018 form. In that case trading Yelich would make Stearns one of the most idiotic GMs in the business because they extended him hoping he could be that Yelich of 2018/2019. If Hicks returns to his 2018 form (.248/.366/.467 with an 19% K rate) the Yankees would be stupid to trade him and his $10M contract. In reality neither guy has been much for at least two years. The Yankees could add a pretty good FA for the $140M extra they would be paying Yelich.

Yawn. Yelich isn’t going anywhere, nobody wants his contract, and he’s not as bad as we saw this year. (and likely not as good as his best year). He’ll rebound back to being a useful player next year after an offseason of reflection and hard work.

Yawn. Yelich isn’t going anywhere, nobody wants his contract, and he’s not as bad as we saw this year. (and likely not as good as his best year). He’ll rebound back to being a useful player next year after an offseason of reflection and hard work.

Said everyone after his 2020 season.

There is no deal to be had. Even if there was, expecting him to return to a 1.5 WAR player is a better move than trading him and coughing up $100MM.

There is no deal to be had. Even if there was, expecting him to return to a 1.5 WAR player is a better move than trading him and coughing up $100MM.

There is no way the Brewers cough up more than 10mil in a trade its nonsense you assure 100mil or even close to that. Braun was never traded. Like let's be serious, somebody here can probably find the history of Brewers sending money in a trade. I doubt it is more than 10Mil.

There is no way the Brewers cough up more than 10mil in a trade its nonsense you assure 100mil or even close to that. Braun was never traded. Like let's be serious, somebody here can probably find the history of Brewers sending money in a trade. I doubt it is more than 10Mil.

Yes, they probably won't.

But he's got likely well over $100M in negative market value.

Ergo, he's probably not going anywhere.