Brewer Fanatic

Season’s Over [Therapy Thread]

Eye Black

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. I remember going to a September game and Gorman Thomas and Ben Oglivie going back to back and the place was rocking. Being 18 at the time also helps.

Right. I was 16 at the time and that definitely factors into why I will never want to forget that late 70s/Early 80s Brewer era.

From 1978 through 1982 were definitely my favorite Brewer teams. I especially loved the 1978 team.

George Bamberger named manager. Finally someone to lead us with a name and a proven track record.

An increase of 26 wins from the season before and finally in contention for a penant with 90+ victories.

A Robin Yount holdout threating to become an PGA professional. And who do they get to replace him, Paul (the Ignitor) Molitor.

Cecil Cooper, Sal Bando, Molitor and Yount on the infield. A loaded outfield of Larry Hisle, Gorman Thomas and Sixto Lezcano. Think they would have only scored 6 runs against the

Braves?

A bench of Don Money, Ben Oglivie and a young Jim Gantner and Charlie Moore.

A young and promising pitching staff lead by Mike Caldwell's 22 wins and Larry Sorenson's 18. With young pitchers such as Jerry Augustine, Bill Travers, Moose Haas and Bob

McClure. Of course like any other staff some of those guys flamed out but we never had promise like that, the past 8 years.

We started the season with a 5 game homestand. First off was Baltimore the second place team in '77 with 97 wins. We swept and outscored the Orioles 40-11 in the first series. Sixto, Gorman and Cecil hit grand salamis in each game. How to follow that series up but by sweeping a 2 game set against World Champ Yankees. What an unbelieveable start. The city of Milwaukee was on fire with this team. You could tell this was a start to a magical summer.

Same here. I remember going to a September game and Gorman Thomas and Ben Oglivie going back to back and the place was rocking. Being 18 at the time also helps.

Right. I was 16 at the time and that definitely factors into why I will never want to forget that late 70s/Early 80s Brewer era.

From 1978 through 1982 were definitely my favorite Brewer teams. I especially loved the 1978 team.

George Bamberger named manager. Finally someone to lead us with a name and a proven track record.

An increase of 26 wins from the season before and finally in contention for a penant with 90+ victories.

A Robin Yount holdout threating to become an PGA professional. And who do they get to replace him, Paul (the Ignitor) Molitor.

Cecil Cooper, Sal Bando, Molitor and Yount on the infield. A loaded outfield of Larry Hisle, Gorman Thomas and Sixto Lezcano. Think they would have only scored 6 runs against the

Braves?

A young and promising pitching staff lead by Mike Caldwell's 22 wins and Larry Sorenson's 18. With young pitchers such as Jerry Augustine, Bill Travers, Moose Haas and Bob

McClure. Of course like any other staff some of those guys flamed out but we never had promise like that, the past 8 years.

We started the season with a 5 game homestand. First off was Baltimore the second place team in '77 with 97 wins. We swept and outscored the Orioles 40-11 in the first series. Sixto, Gorman and Cecil hit grand salamis in each game. How to follow that series up but by sweeping a 2 game set against World Champ Yankees. What an unbelieveable start. The city of Milwaukee was on fire with this team. You could tell this was a start to a magical summer.

Totally agree. We first got a little serious with the signing of Bando in 1977 and made the key trades for Cooper and Caldwell but we still didn't perform any better. Then they sign Hisle, trade for Oglivie and Caldwell took off and everything changed. Fortunately we got Gorman back after giving him away in 1977 too. Good times.

Community Moderator

This season more than any other has taught me to accept that the Brewers will probably never win a World Series in my lifetime, or at least not with MLB's current financial incentives in place. Being at peace with that makes it easier to enjoy the journey of the MLB season as opposed to the destination. I'm trying not to lose sight of what a great year this was and not think of this year as a "failure", which was my immediate reaction to losing the NLDS.

Given how much pitching is returning, along with the ever-present genius of the FO and Counsell, it feels like there are more successful seasons and more playoff appearances on the way.

Braves?

I loved that 78 team too. That was my first full year after finishing grad school. So, armed with a full time job and no real obligations I think I went to about 35 games.

The first one was the second game of the season sitting in the bleachers with the temperature about 35 degrees. After the lopsided 11-3 win on Opening Day we had high hopes, but the Orioles scored 3 in the top of the first. Then the Brewers answered with 3 singles and a 3 run HR from Hisle to go ahead 4-3. Before we could settle down they loaded the bases and Thomas hit a grand slam. 8 runs and nobody out in the first inning on the way to a 16-3 win. Molitor hit his first career HR that day too.

So, 11-3, 16-3, and 13-5 wins to start the season.

Those were the days.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Braves?

I think my appreciation of those days were also enhanced by the fact that most games were not on TV. I listened on the radio most nights, mimicking batting stances in my bedroom as each hitter came up. That also meant going to games was that much more special. My friends and I went to many games taking the county bus that dropped us off at the VA Center. Some of the most memorable games to me were:

- Ricky Henderson beating the single season SB mark. I could be wrong, but I think they gave out "full" size bats at that game. Whatever game it was I still have the bat. A green Mountain Dew logo bat.

- Ending Ron Guidry's 13-0 start

- Going to a DH against the Yankees and the big "Reggie Who?" banner someone had in the bleachers. That was also before reserved bleacher seating. When games were packed, if you left your seat, good luck getting it back. Especially when you are 15-16 years old 5' 8" and weight 130lbs soaking wet.

ABC also had Monday Night Baseball back then and TWIB was a much watch every Saturday before the game of the week.

Edited by Patrick425

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

This season more than any other has taught me to accept that the Brewers will probably never win a World Series in my lifetime, or at least not with MLB's current financial incentives in place.

I think any additional gains the players gain in the next CBA will probably not be good for teams like the Brewers.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Ricky Henderson beating the single season SB mark. I could be wrong, but I think they gave out "full" size bats at that game. Whatever game it was I still have the bat. A green Mountain Dew logo bat.

Bat day I believe was in July. My buddy Matt went to the game and got one. We played ball with it and it left green marks on the ball. I was at the Henderson game with my dad which happened late August.

Braves?

I loved that 78 team too. That was my first full year after finishing grad school. So, armed with a full time job and no real obligations I think I went to about 35 games.

The first one was the second game of the season sitting in the bleachers with the temperature about 35 degrees. After the lopsided 11-3 win on Opening Day we had high hopes, but the Orioles scored 3 in the top of the first. Then the Brewers answered with 3 singles and a 3 run HR from Hisle to go ahead 4-3. Before we could settle down they loaded the bases and Thomas hit a grand slam. 8 runs and nobody out in the first inning on the way to a 16-3 win. Molitor hit his first career HR that day too.

So, 11-3, 16-3, and 13-5 wins to start the season.

Those were the days.

Love the discussion. I turned 11 that year and I remember that start. I was not in Wisconsin but we got the Sporting News and I remember a writeup talking about our tough starting schedule and how we flipped the script. It's so funny that we all remember it so vividly. Loved that team from the late 70's to early 80's.

The last part of Bud's regime was frustrating. He got involved in league issues and the plight of the small market. He basically brainwashed the fan base into believing the deck was stacked against us and we couldn't compete. He seemed more interested in proving that point than actually winning. Our moves were just like going through the motions to have a product. There was no real hope. We had a huge run of draft picks that bombed or were hurt. There was zero proactive problem solving.

After we lost Molitor and then the strike...my fandom was at minimal levels. I'd pay attention mostly at draft time and to see if our prospects were doing anything.

Enter Attanasio, and it all changed. Now with Stearns, we seem to have a coherent program in place in many respects. We are competitive.

This season more than any other has taught me to accept that the Brewers will probably never win a World Series in my lifetime, or at least not with MLB's current financial incentives in place. Being at peace with that makes it easier to enjoy the journey of the MLB season as opposed to the destination. I'm trying not to lose sight of what a great year this was and not think of this year as a "failure", which was my immediate reaction to losing the NLDS.

Given how much pitching is returning, along with the ever-present genius of the FO and Counsell, it feels like there are more successful seasons and more playoff appearances on the way.

Well, when the Bucks were sitting there with Monta Ellis and Brandon jennings under long term contracts, if you would have told me the Bucks would be my next team to win a title, and by that I mean a league title, not a division title, and that the title would be within ten years, I couldn't have computed a way to get there. Yet, here we are.

I think the fact that the Brewers have been competitive tells you that we may break on through to the other side. Keep the faith.

1978 also was the first year of the ball and glove logo. I remember sitting in the right field bleachers with my then girlfriend (now wife >40 years) cheering on Sixto. He even threw us a ball to end an inning. They never did that back then (Selig was too cheap, I guess). We went to over 20 games that season. We’d go early before the games and talked to the players along the right field boxes at County Stadium. Those were the days, Gorman, Bando and Many of the other Brewers would be there autographing balls and enjoyed talking to the fans. Got my ball signed by Sixto and talked to him several times before games. I thought it was very cool that he recognized us by the tail end of that season.

I think this front office is trying for as many bites at the postseason apple as possible. The large majority of their decisions, the Yelich deal aside, are geared toward protecting the long-term sustainability of maintaining an above average roster. It’s probably the right strategy, and teams like the Giants have proven you don’t have to be the best team in order to win the World Series, but I’m getting to the point where I wouldn’t hate seeing them mortgage a little bit of the future in order to put together better rosters for 2022 and 2023.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I think this front office is trying for as many bites at the postseason apple as possible. The large majority of their decisions, the Yelich deal aside, are geared toward protecting the long-term sustainability of maintaining an above average roster. It’s probably the right strategy, and teams like the Giants have proven you don’t have to be the best team in order to win the World Series, but I’m getting to the point where I wouldn’t hate seeing them mortgage a little bit of the future in order to put together better rosters for 2022 and 2023.

This. They can continue to be competitive with the current strategy, but unfortunately the likelihood that the win a World Series could be relatively low compared to the other postseason teams. You need to be better (not necessarily the best) at all aspects (pitching, offense, and defense) in order to win, and even then there’s a lot of luck. If they’d bump up the payroll for the next few years to strengthen the offense I think they’d have a legitimate chance.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The biggest issue I take with the "all in" approach is how much does it actually increase the odds of *winning* a WS versus what they're doing now? The Dodgers are literally "all in" every year, and they won the west division title 8 years in a row before they broke through and won the WS.

We could win the WS next year by staying true to the vision that Stearns has built for the club, or not. We're making the playoffs 4 years in a row now, and getting a shot every year might be the best way. We could blow it all up for a 2 year window and increase the odds by how much? 5% more? Realistically how much WILL Attanasio increase the payroll? We can throw numbers out there all day, but the reality is that we KNOW he's not gonna run deep into the red to take a shot, he honestly just isn't. So let's just say he bumps the payroll up to 150 - 160 million and we get a few big bats or whatever, but it takes selling off some of our long term controllable properties to do it. Does that actually increase the odds of this team winning a world series?

At this point, I just want one. I don't care if this team wins multiple WS in my lifetime, I just want one, and taking as many shots at it as possible (seems) like the best way to go about it.

The Brewers disappointing playoff series and this conversation raise a question that has come up before.

As a fan, would you rather have a team that is consistently in the running for the playoffs and gets into them on a somewhat regular basis, or one that is consistently below .500 but breaks through once to win the World Series?

Some examples are comparing the Braves of the 80’s and 90’s who won their division almost every year but won one World Series to the Marlins who won two World Series but pretty much stunk every other year in large part because they couldn’t afford to keep good players.

Or the Royals who managed to break through to reach two World Series and win one, but have had no other playoff appearances since 1985 and not even that many teams with winning records.

Hypothetically, would you rather have your team be under .500 for 10 or 20 years except for 1 year of winning the World Series, or have consistent winning teams that make the playoffs half or more of the time, including several division championships and a few LCS appearances?

I know from past discussions on this that I am in the minority, but I would take the consistent winning teams. I have seen my favorite teams in several sports win championships, and as fun as that is, the real enjoyment I get from following sports is the day to day and week to week fun of following the season. That is so much more enjoyable when my team has a realistic chance to capture the big prize.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Devin Williams really, really screwed over his teammates with his immaturity. We will never know if things turn out differently if he is available but it certainly did not help.

He really screwed up but IMO the real culprit that contributed to our early exit was our inability to hit. If you can't score it is hard to win, especially in the post season. We scored 2 runs in 3 of those games against Atlanta. :(

[sarcasm]Looking forward to next year’s 40th anniversary festivities celebrating that time we went to the World Series.[/sarcasm]

Are they really doing that? I hope not. It's time to let 1982 go.

Not saying the team has to do a celebration. But even if the Brewers win multiple World Series in the coming years, I'll never let 1982 go (or the 2-3 years leading up to that year). That was a great time in my life that I will always remember. That was also a really fun team!

I remember that team fondly as well. However, there are a lot of Brewers fans out there that weren't even born yet during that special time so to them it is ancient history.

I don't have an issue with the Yelich deal. When it was made he was a hitting machine and most likely a perennial MVP candidate and the type of player that most teams will build a team around. Who could have foreseen his decline the past 2 seasons? Hindsight is always 20/20. :(

The Brewers disappointing playoff series and this conversation raise a question that has come up before.

As a fan, would you rather have a team that is consistently in the running for the playoffs and gets into them on a somewhat regular basis, or one that is consistently below .500 but breaks through once to win the World Series?

Some examples are comparing the Braves of the 80’s and 90’s who won their division almost every year but won one World Series to the Marlins who won two World Series but pretty much stunk every other year in large part because they couldn’t afford to keep good players.

Or the Royals who managed to break through to reach two World Series and win one, but have had no other playoff appearances since 1985 and not even that many teams with winning records.

Hypothetically, would you rather have your team be under .500 for 10 or 20 years except for 1 year of winning the World Series, or have consistent winning teams that make the playoffs half or more of the time, including several division championships and a few LCS appearances?

I know from past discussions on this that I am in the minority, but I would take the consistent winning teams. I have seen my favorite teams in several sports win championships, and as fun as that is, the real enjoyment I get from following sports is the day to day and week to week fun of following the season. That is so much more enjoyable when my team has a realistic chance to capture the big prize.

I too would rather we have consistent winning teams. The more opportunities you have your odds are better to win it all eventually. And it is a hell of lot more fun to follow a team in contention every year than watching your favorite team have fire sales and stink most of the time like the Marlins and others.

I too would rather we have consistent winning teams. The more opportunities you have your odds are better to win it all eventually. And it is a hell of lot more fun to follow a team in contention every year than watching your favorite team have fire sales and stink most of the time like the Marlins and others.

It's an interesting discussion. I lean toward staying in contention, because it's a long season and a good team makes the summers that much more enjoyable. And those who say they want the winner get spoiled immediately. How many Cubs and Red Sox fans said, "Just give me ONE World Series in my life!" and quickly became impatient for the second one.

Had a similar discussion with my friend. His son was all-conference and all-state in football, but the team lost in the playoffs. My son was a reserve who got to play some, but the teams he was on won state two years in a row. Who had the better experience?

Same here. The best part of baseball is the everyday experience. The ultimate experience would be to finish it off once in a while but it isn't the only part that makes a season enjoyable. I'll add that I also think consistently good teams is the way to finish the quest. I know the "would you rather" argument is a hypothetical but, as we learned in 2011, the reality is neither approach is a guarantee.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Are they really doing that? I hope not. It's time to let 1982 go.

Not saying the team has to do a celebration. But even if the Brewers win multiple World Series in the coming years, I'll never let 1982 go (or the 2-3 years leading up to that year). That was a great time in my life that I will always remember. That was also a really fun team!

I remember that team fondly as well. However, there are a lot of Brewers fans out there that weren't even born yet during that special time so to them it is ancient history.

I really feel for them. Baseball was so much more enjoyable back then. The 3TO stuff is really making baseball boring. The skill level of today’s players is so much lower today than even 10-15 years ago.

In the NFL the Packers are pretty much the poster child of playing the long game and making the playoffs every year rather than going all in for one season at the expense of future seasons. It's been more glaring as Rodgers career is closer to the end and maybe is at the heart of the feud between him and management. I was in support of trading Rodgers this offseason as this last NFCC failure really soured me on our chances to get it done with him anymore. But the season is here and I happy he is back and we are winning so maybe calling these things after a playoff failure isn't such a great time.

It was a fun ride this year, I was worried about the offense being our undoing and now that it happened seems obvious that it was going to be an issue when we hit playoff quality pitching. Unlike the Packers hard to criticize the Brewers for not spending in an unlevel playing field so making the playoffs as much as possible is probably our only ticket in. It sucks, I really wish the Brewers would see this pitching staff as their chance to really raise payroll and get it done but I am sure they will make some of their usual moves and I will be optimistic next spring again. It's not like they didn't try to add the big bat or even Scherzer, just again they are at a disadvantage even when the are willing to spend the resources as the big markets and coasts are just more attractive destinations for guys who can choose where they go.