Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-12 (NLDS Game #4): Brewers (Lauer) at Braves (Morton) [Brewers lose, 5-4 -- Freeman’s 8th inning HR off Hader breaks tie, and hearts]

Eye Black

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If you told me that our 4-game pitching totals would be:

- Woodruff - 103

- Burnes - 91

- Lauer - 74

- Peralta - 57

- Hader - 31…

…yeah, I’d say things went haywire and we’re dead in the water.

Then when you realize that none of our Big 4 + Lauer imploded, it just gets more frustrating.

I wish we’d set a plan to ride our best 5 pitchers as much as humanly possible and stuck with it. Our middle relief was too much of a weakness to use against a solid Braves lineup, in my opinion.

Good season, bad series. Thanks for a fun 6 months. Go Packers.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, people. This team was not special in any way. 1982 will always be the gold standard.

Don't take this wrong but please - we have to stop talking about 1982. This is as bad as Packers fans waxing poetic about the Lombardi all those years before 1989 (and GB actually won). That was a great team but it is ancient history now.

Then win a damn World Series instead of glowing about what a special team this is in August.

If winning the WS is the gold standard then don't bring up 1982.

The only break we got in that game tonight that I can recall was that "catch" by Urias in foul territory.

We got plenty of ball/strike calls to go our way. The reason no one notices is A) bias and B) all the calls against us often involved us getting out/struck out because our hitters were pathetic and that happened 70% of the time anyway.

Let’s also not underestimate how MASSIVE that bad catch call for Urias was and the utter luck the MLB rule book is dumb enough to not allow it to be reviewed. If that is called correctly we probably implode in that inning.

Yelich is getting hammered here, and rightfully so, but if you look at him, he is struggling, deeply struggling.

Just look at his body language, look in his eyes, dude is hurting, emotionally and physically, and one may hinge on the other...

Seriously, I don't doubt he is seeking counseling after his last two seasons. How can he even look at himself in the mirror and feel good about himself?

I feel bad for the guy, and hopefully he is going to take the off season and get some help, mentally and physically.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Sorry, people. This team was not special in any way. 1982 will always be the gold standard.

Don't take this wrong but please - we have to stop talking about 1982. This is as bad as Packers fans waxing poetic about the Lombardi all those years before 1989 (and GB actually won). That was a great team but it is ancient history now.

It's only ancient history if you were not able to experience it.

I understand, all those that were not born yet in 82 would never understand the sheer joy of that season, which ended in the most heartbreak I have ever experienced in my years of fandom.

Again, I get why people tire of hearing about it, but sadly, it's the most success this team has ever experienced, so there you have it...

I was around in 1982.

There's no crying in baseball, yada yada yada...but I just can't get around how Counsell and Co. continued to let Yelich hit out of the 3-hole. Were they worried about hurting his feelings if the dropped him in the order? Because my feelings are very hurt with how this all worked out.

"That ain't Chuckie's game. Chuckie hacks on 2-0."

If you told me that our 4-game pitching totals would be:

- Woodruff - 103

- Burnes - 91

- Lauer - 74

- Peralta - 57

- Hader - 31…

…yeah, I’d say things went haywire and we’re dead in the water.

Then when you realize that none of our Big 4 + Lauer imploded, it just gets more frustrating.

I wish we’d set a plan to ride our best 5 pitchers as much as humanly possible and stuck with it. Our middle relief was too much of a weakness to use against a solid Braves lineup, in my opinion.

Good season, bad series. Thanks for a fun 6 months. Go Packers.

And Bucks!

I'd be content if this team made a WS and got swept, really would. Would just like to catch one in MKE.

Don't see that happening any time soon. They got lightning in a bottle this year with the pitching staff. Sorry, but I don't think an offense like this can win sustainably year over year. It's really bad. The second they played October pitching and didn't stat pad with crappy teams and crappy relievers, they were badly exposed. And there is little they can do to help the offense. Jackie Yelich Jr. is one giant problem, but not the only one.

Yelich is getting hammered here, and rightfully so, but if you look at him, he is struggling, deeply struggling.

Just look at his body language, look in his eyes, dude is hurting, emotionally and physically, and one may hinge on the other...

Seriously, I don't doubt he is seeking counseling after his last two seasons. How can he even look at himself in the mirror and feel good about himself?

I feel bad for the guy, and hopefully he is going to take the off season and get some help, mentally and physically.

Does the guys body look like a guy who is going to get in the gym and get healthy?? Bulk up a bit?? I don't think so.

If winning the WS is the gold standard then don't bring up 1982.

Again, it is the most successful season in the Milwaukee Brewers history, you just need to understand that much...

It still ended in a loss, but it is the high water mark because it is the only time we ever got the the World series.

I get it though, it gets old hanging our hat on a loss, but until we have a better outcome, it is the furthest we have ever made it in a single season.

He hasn't looked right since that knee injury

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Really have to question pitch selection in that Freeman at bat....I know it's just a one pitch AB, but you can't start him off with a get me over slider. If Freeman can square up 97 at the top of the zone so be it, go down with your best pitch - the offspeed can't be a middle of the plate strike.

Wonder if any unfamiliarity having the 3rd catcher putting signs down had an impact.

Just a disappointing end to what looked like a promising opportunity to go on a run. They always say pitching and defense wins in October....but that's when you compare teams that are similar offensively. When one team has a really good offense even great pitching gives up a few runs here and there, and that's enough to beat a team whose offense never really showed up.

If you are correct (and I suspect you are) about what is going on with Yelich then this is yet another lousy decision by CC sending him out there and batting 3rd.

Does the guys body look like a guy who is going to get in the gym and get healthy?? Bulk up a bit?? I don't think so.

Huh?

*Shaking head*

There's no crying in baseball, yada yada yada...but I just can't get around how Counsell and Co. continued to let Yelich hit out of the 3-hole. Were they worried about hurting his feelings if the dropped him in the order? Because my feelings are very hurt with how this all worked out.

I do agree with this. Yeli had some big chances tonight and put together some awful ABs, just like he has for this whole season. Doubtful that anyone else does anything at those spots but still infuriating that he's penciled in there just because, despite not being good for 2 years.

Really have to question pitch selection in that Freeman at bat....I know it's just a one pitch AB, but you can't start him off with a get me over slider. If Freeman can square up 97 at the top of the zone so be it, go down with your best pitch - the offspeed can't be a middle of the plate strike.

Wonder if any unfamiliarity having the 3rd catcher putting signs down had an impact.

Just a disappointing end to what looked like a promising opportunity to go on a run. They always say pitching and defense wins in October....but that's when you compare teams that are similar offensively. When one team has a really good offense even great pitching gives up a few runs here and there, and that's enough to beat a team whose offense never really showed up.

Their lineup is insane. It's hard to not make mistakes when nearly every guy 1-7 can end the game with one swing. I admit that I didn't know how much power they had until I was at Game 1 and saw all their numbers on the board and it was like 6 straight 30 bomb guys.

It's been fun watching these games with all of you. We'll believe together again next year.

The good news is: these pitchers are very good.

Agreed on all accounts.

Absolutely. We had an incredible run middle to late season. But, the wheels just fell off. Our bullpen regressed badly and suffered injuries. Key offensive players lost their rhythms during injuries. We found something in Rowdy. Will be fun to watch the off-season.

We were right in the cellar of this Playoff Lineup across both Leagues. We lost to the better team if we're being honest. No shame in admitting defeat. Reset button and try again next season. It was a great run.

I'd be content if this team made a WS and got swept, really would. Would just like to catch one in MKE.

Don't see that happening any time soon. They got lightning in a bottle this year with the pitching staff. Sorry, but I don't think an offense like this can win sustainably year over year. It's really bad. The second they played October pitching and didn't stat pad with crappy teams and crappy relievers, they were badly exposed. And there is little they can do to help the offense. Jackie Yelich Jr. is one giant problem, but not the only one.

Content to just sell the tix to opposing fans and make coin off the team, we know.

They went out and got Escobar and benched him only to watch him go 2-2 pinch hitting the last two games. Meanwhile Yelich is hitting three. It's like a dad letting his kid start just because he's his kid. Bad stuff. Guessing Escobar won't forget it this offseason.

Terrible pitch selection. Make him hit the heater or hell, pitch around him and put him on 1st if you need to.

Huh?

*Shaking head*

Yeah, um, that point lost me at the gym. Dunno.

Content to just sell the tix to opposing fans and make coin off the team, we know.

You really are the dumbest idiot on this site. I've wanted to just be straight about this for a while.

The only pitch call that upset me was the strike 2 call in the ninth that was ball four. That would have put runners on first and second. A huge miss that changed the nature of the game. It wasn't even that close to a strike. How can a major league umpire sitting on the inside part of the plate miss that. It was right in front of him. Instead a K two pitches later. The technology is there to get calls right. Use it.