Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-12 (NLDS Game #4): Brewers (Lauer) at Braves (Morton) [Brewers lose, 5-4 -- Freeman’s 8th inning HR off Hader breaks tie, and hearts]

Eye Black

Counsell blew it again.

You're really reaching here. How exactly? You're up 2-0 with a guy throwing well, not great, but well, with 1 out, and you advance the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Your best hitter ends up batting with the bases loaded.

Or going with Strickland? I don't get it. There was not some egregiously bad managerial call in this inning.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The explanation for leaving Lauer in to bunt so he can be pulled two outs later better be some Sparky Anderson level decision making or it's a bonehead move especially after yesterday.

is your expectation for the manager that he can predict if the pitcher next inning is going to get in a bases loaded situation or not. or if they give up a 3 run HR. The guys not a wizard

The decision made zero sense especially after what he did yesterday. Lauer was struggling. It was a bad move in real time not hindsight.

What happened yestrday changes this. There is no long reliever like we had yesterday and it's an inning earlier. He wanted to get 2 more innings out of him then get into the 1 inning guys. Guy failed.

and to act like its counter to yesterday isn't true either. If Cain's hit got through yesterday they wouldn't have pulled Peralta. The hit got through today so he didn't pull him. Don't think he would've anyway since it's an inning earlier and no long reliver like Houser.

But bottom line is there is not a clear path to covering 6 innings today. There was a very clear one to get 5 yesterday.

Edited by tmwiese55

Counsell blew it again.

You're really reaching here. How exactly? You're up 2-0 with a guy throwing well, not great, but well, with 1 out, and you advance the runners to 2nd and 3rd. Your best hitter ends up batting with the bases loaded.

Or going with Strickland? I don't get it. There was not some egregiously bad managerial call in this inning.

[sarcasm]Counsell never told Lauer not to walk and hit the 7 and 8 hole hitter![/sarcasm]

Counsell blew it again.

You could argue if he was throwing well but they hadn't scored thanks in part to Duvall baserunnig.

Counsell blew it again.

You had a potential for a 3rd run simply by putting the ball in play, which would have been enormous. You have all hands on deck today, and your best case was 1 inning + out of Lauer.

Sorry, I'm just not going to agree on this one

This is playoff baseball, not a regular season game in June. I'm more ok with yesterday's decision on pulling Peralta to try to score.

And I really don't think Lauer was throwing particularly well today. Sometimes you get away with it and it's not reflected on the scoreboard (well until now).

Edited by adambr2

This is when I think long and hard about going to Burnes...need to cover 12 outs to get to Josh, don't think Ashby gets you there and really don't want to show them Boxberger for the third straight game

Burnes himself said he wasn't physically ready to pitch today. End of debate.

Think of the butterfly effect from Cain's hit not getting through yesterday. We get that lead and keep Peralta. Possibly go on to cruise to a win. Houser is fresh today. Say everything else plays out the same today, you can PH Lauer and go to Houser to get you through the 5th/6th

This is when I think long and hard about going to Burnes...need to cover 12 outs to get to Josh, don't think Ashby gets you there and really don't want to show them Boxberger for the third straight game

Burnes himself said he wasn't physically ready to pitch today. End of debate.

Just saying that to be a "company man." Burnes wants that ball NOW!!!

Counsell blew it again.

You had a potential for a 3rd run simply by putting the ball in play, which would have been enormous. You have all hands on deck today, and your best case was 1 inning + out of Lauer.

Sorry, I'm just not going to agree on this one

This is playoff baseball, not a regular season game in June. I'm more ok with yesterday's decision on pulling Peralta to try to score.

And I really don't think Lauer was throwing particularly well today. Sometimes you get away with it and it's not reflected on the scoreboard (well until now).

The runners were at 1st and 2nd, "putting in the ball in play" could have just as easily been another awesome GIDP or a very likely K. What offense have you been watching?

Sorry, I can't get past the revisionist history of harshly criticizing a decision that put Adames at the plate with the bases juiced. That's exactly what you wanted to have happen. He struck out.