Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-12 (NLDS Game #4): Brewers (Lauer) at Braves (Morton) [Brewers lose, 5-4 -- Freeman’s 8th inning HR off Hader breaks tie, and hearts]

Eye Black

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I really am going to look back fondly at this years team if they can't win the NLDS. Too high of expectations coupled with an implosion to the end the regular season and at the moment has a streak of two games scoring zero runs in postseason games.

I am sick of the franchise needing to hype up moments from runs that don't even make the World Series.

My thoughts exactly. IMO with a loss today, this team is 'fart in the wind' fodder. A less exciting finish than 2008, a team that had the distinction of making us respectable again.

We've had 3 good teams in the past 4 years; it's totally natural to feel how we do at this point. It's time to get over the hump. Winning divisions isn't satisfying anymore. I'm too young for '82, I grew up on ONLY losing and I still feel this way.

Time to get over the hump?

Since their last World Series win the Yankees have been in 9 of 12 postseasons without so much as a WS appearance.

Since their last World Series win the Cardinals have made 7 of 10 postseason with a lone WS loss their best result.

The stacked Nationals needed five postseason trips in eight years before they got over the hump.

The even more stacked Dodgers needed eight postseasons & a pandemic weirdened season to get over the hump.

The Brewers are just getting started, expecting them to get over the postseason hump on an accelerated timetable compared to what organizations with more resources & talent did is probably setting one's self up for disappointment.

And the Giants won 3 titles in 6 years. The Royals made back-to-back World Series. The Rays have made 2.

I don't think it's some prerequisite that we have to fail 6 times in the NLDS or LCS. I've seen this team make the playoffs 5 times in 13 years, not counting last year's debacle. Making the playoffs is no longer exciting the way it was in 2008. Losing today would be an enormous disappointment and, for me, make this year pretty forgettable.

Can't say I really am going to look back fondly at this years team if they can't win the NLDS. Too high of expectations coupled with an implosion to the end the regular season and at the moment has a streak of two games scoring zero runs in postseason games.

I am sick of the franchise needing to hype up moments from runs that don't even make the World Series.

My thoughts exactly. IMO with a loss today, this team is 'fart in the wind' fodder. A less exciting finish than 2008, a team that had the distinction of making us respectable again.

We've had 3 good teams in the past 4 years; it's totally natural to feel how we do at this point. It's time to get over the hump. Winning divisions isn't satisfying anymore. I'm too young for '82, I grew up on ONLY losing and I still feel this way.

Time to get over the hump?

Since their last World Series win the Yankees have been in 9 of 12 postseasons without so much as a WS appearance.

Since their last World Series win the Cardinals have made 7 of 10 postseason with a lone WS loss their best result.

The stacked Nationals needed five postseason trips in eight years before they got over the hump.

The even more stacked Dodgers needed eight postseasons & a pandemic weirdened season to get over the hump.

The Brewers are just getting started, expecting them to get over the postseason hump on an accelerated timetable compared to what organizations with more resources & talent did is probably setting one's self up for disappointment.

Your what-about-ism regarding other teams is meaningless. I don't care about the Yankees, Cardinals, Nationals, or Dodgers. I am not a fan of those teams. Nor do their post-season struggles matter. If long-suffering is a requirement, I guess until the Indians win a WS I shouldn't have any expectations. I accept and understand that the window doesn't open as far for the Brewers as it does for teams with more resources. For that reason, it DOES accelerate the timetable.

And there is no rule that says a team has to suffer for x amount of years before winning.

The bold prediction for the day:

Josh Hader pitches two innings.

I like that one! Very outside the box!

Mine is Yelich goes yard.

Mine is Wong.

3 x 4, leadoff homer. 2 run 2B, BB, 3 RBI (the only 3 runs we score)

I'm feeling the Brewers have a four-run eighth inning in them to provide the margin of victory. Hard part will be waiting that long for it to happen.

The bold prediction for the day:

Josh Hader pitches two innings.

I like that one! Very outside the box!

Mine is Yelich goes yard.

Mine is Wong.

He really is the key to their success.

In Brewers wins: .327/.391/.548/.939

In Brewers losses: .203/.263/.320/.583

Mine is Wong.

Well, I guess this goes for a lot of guys...

Adames in Wins: .306/.393/.589/.982

Adames in Losses: .186/.235/.295/.530

Yelich in Wins: .306/.422/.500/.922

Yelich in Losses: .159/.265/.175/.444

Mine is Wong.

Would be interested to see what is the teams stat line in wins vs loses? How much of this is actually Wong vs just in general, when you win you likely hit much better than in games you lose?

I don't think it's some prerequisite that we have to fail 6 times in the NLDS or LCS. I've seen this team make the playoffs 5 times in 13 years, not counting last year's debacle. Making the playoffs is no longer exciting the way it was in 2008. Losing today would be an enormous disappointment and, for me, make this year pretty forgettable.

I'm with you on this one, a team like the Brewers doesn't have a decade to let a team grow, they have to grab the ring while they have this outstanding pitching. It certainly isn't going to last long.

Your what-about-ism regarding other teams is meaningless. I don't care about the Yankees, Cardinals, Nationals, or Dodgers. I am not a fan of those teams. Nor do their post-season struggles matter. If long-suffering is a requirement, I guess until the Indians win a WS I shouldn't have any expectations. I accept and understand that the window doesn't open as far for the Brewers as it does for teams with more resources. For that reason, it DOES accelerate the timetable.

And there is no rule that says a team has to suffer for x amount of years before winning.

Of course they matter. The easiest way to set reasonable expectations is by understanding what sort of odds one faces in the first place.

Long suffering isn't a requirement, it's just what history tells us is more often than not the path taken & as such, minimal expectations are probably in order.

Losing today would be an enormous disappointment and, for me, make this year pretty forgettable.

An enormous disappointment over losing what essentially amounts to a coin flip?

Thee most dominant pitching staff in team history, pretty forgettable?

Mine is Wong.

Would be interested to see what is the teams stat line in wins vs loses? How much of this is actually Wong vs just in general, when you win you likely hit much better than in games you lose?

Team in Wins: .265/.353/.463/.816

Team in Losses: .186/.262/.298/.560

Losing today would be an enormous disappointment and, for me, make this year pretty forgettable.

An enormous disappointment over losing what essentially amounts to a coin flip?

No kidding. I'd assume this is a heat-of-the-moment situation.

Edited by StearnsFTW

I'm with you on this one, a team like the Brewers doesn't have a decade to let a team grow, they have to grab the ring while they have this outstanding pitching. It certainly isn't going to last long.

The Brewers are already in year four of making the playoffs, year five of being competitive.

Most of the key players on the team are under control for the next three years, that brings us out to year seven or eight, so we're about halfway through the decade already.

I think it ends up pretty forgettable because it is largely returning next year and the year after. In five years I don't think we look back and pick out 2021 to reflect on this pitching staff...it will be years of dominance (hopefully).

If you build your baseball fandom around winning a World Series, you're going to be disappointed the vast majority of the time. Baseball is the most "journey/process" sport there is. Without finding some joy in the Carlos Gomezes playing on sub-70-win teams, without being able to enjoy the best pitching staff in team history even if one of them goes 9-10, there's just very little fun to be had.

This isn't me telling anyone else how to follow the Brewers or any team, but, for me, the game is more fun as an exercise in moments, good and bad. Today, we get more moments. I'm glad for that.

As for the game, the Braves have been the better team, despite a few mistakes on the bases especially. This is the lowest-scoring division series in nearly 25 years with its 9 total runs. Atlanta has 7 of them. Somehow, we're still alive. I feel good about our chances today. But, whatever happens, it's a long cold winter, and time to savor whatever extra baseball we get.

Go Brewers.

Edited by Cool Hand Lucroy

If you build your baseball fandom around winning a World Series, you're going to be disappointed the vast majority of the time. Baseball is the most "journey/process" sport there is. Without finding some joy in the Carlos Gomezes playing on sub-70-win teams, without being able to enjoy the best pitching staff in team history even if one of them goes 9-10, there's just very little fun to be had.

This isn't me telling anyone else how to follow the Brewers or any team, but, for me, the game is more fun as an exercise is moments, good and bad. Today, we get more moments. I'm glad for that.

As for the game, the Braves have been the better team, despite a few mistakes on the bases especially. This is the lowest-scoring division series in nearly 25 years with its 9 total runs. Atlanta has 7 of them. Somehow, we're still alive. I feel good about our chances today. But, whatever happens, it's a long cold winter, and time to savor whatever extra baseball we get.

Go Brewers.

Sorry, but I get annoyed with these kinds of posts which basically are telling people how to be fans. This isn't a 70-win team. It's a team that could have won 100 games if they chose to. Most of us know the Brewers chances to win a title or at least MAKE a World Series are fleeting. Because we're upset with a potential lost opportunity doesn't mean we can't ALSO have fun watching Carlos Gomez on a 70-win team. Expectations are a factor and everything is relative. This is (nearly) our 3rd 90 win season in 4 years. Expectations are higher, so I won't apologize for being really disappointed IF they go out in 4 games in the NLDS scoring 2-3 runs in 4 games.

They were a better team than that, luck is involved and they will have had a bad luck week at the wrong time. I don't think this is such an extreme concept. Nobody was really upset when Philly stomped us in '08, but they will be now. It's a completely different set of circumstances, and a perfectly healthy reaction once you've achieved some success and want to hit the next rung on the ladder.

Brewers announce Lauer gets the ball today. Braves going with Morton on short rest.

Morton doesn't have a great track record going on short rest in the playoffs. But if he pitches well tonight, and Lauer struggles, the "should've started Burnes" chants are going to get loud. Lots of very interesting subplots in tonight's game.

The Brewers could lose today and, yes, I would be disappointed. They could not make the playoffs or get eliminated in the playoffs for the next ten years and, yes, that would also be disappointing. However, as I have done for the last 45 years, I will always have some optimism or hope for the next year. For fan bases of some sports teams that is just the way it is sometimes. The outcome of each game in baseball involves more randomness than most other sports and in many games one or two ABs or defensive plays determines the entire outcome of a game. Puig just misses barreling up that one pitch and one of our hitters does barrel up a pitch that they just missed in game 7 and we may have been talking about a WS team in 2018. A different outcome on 2 pitches. That's it. For that reason, my emotion will usually be more disappointment than anger when the Brewers are unable to pull off the desired outcome. And I will always look forward to and have hope for the next season. Otherwise it ceases to be fun and why would I engage my time and emotion into something that is not fun? Go Brewers!

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Going with Morton on short rest is really playing old-school. But I guess the idea is the Braves have Fried on full rest either way, so there's that.

I'll say this: If the Brewers can find the bats tonight, then having Burnes AND Woody fully rested puts them in pretty darn good shape, especially since ATL will only have one guy backed up by a bullpen that's been shaky without having been made to pay for it.

Starting Morton is a "we're scared of Game 5" move. Let's really give them reason to be worried.

This isn't me telling anyone else how to follow the Brewers or any team, but, for me, the game is more fun as an exercise is moments, good and bad. Today, we get more moments. I'm glad for that.

Go Brewers.

Sorry, but I get annoyed with these kinds of posts which basically are telling people how to be fans. This isn't a 70-win team. It's a team that could have won 100 games if they chose to. Most of us know the Brewers chances to win a title or at least MAKE a World Series are fleeting. Because we're upset with a potential lost opportunity doesn't mean we can't ALSO have fun watching Carlos Gomez on a 70-win team. Expectations are a factor and everything is relative. This is (nearly) our 3rd 90 win season in 4 years. Expectations are higher, so I won't apologize for being really disappointed IF they go out in 4 games in the NLDS scoring 2-3 runs in 4 games.

They were a better team than that, luck is involved and they will have had a bad luck week at the wrong time. I don't think this is such an extreme concept. Nobody was really upset when Philly stomped us in '08, but they will be now. It's a completely different set of circumstances, and a perfectly healthy reaction once you've achieved some success and want to hit the next rung on the ladder.

I think he was reacting more to the posters who said this team wouldn't be memorable, or would be a "fart in the wind". You are 100% correct in saying that you can be disappointed and upset at a lost opportunity. The point is the old cliche that the "journey is its own reward." Personally, this is been a fun season to follow the Brewers. Regardless of what happens in this series, this is a very good ballclub.

The Brewers could lose today and, yes, I would be disappointed. They could not make the playoffs or get eliminated in the playoffs for the next ten years and, yes, that would also be disappointing. However, as I have done for the last 45 years, I will always have some optimism or hope for the next year. For fan bases of some sports teams that is just the way it is sometimes. The outcome of each game in baseball involves more randomness than most other sports and in many games one or two ABs or defensive plays determines the entire outcome of a game. Puig just misses barreling up that one pitch and one of our hitters does barrel up a pitch that they just missed in game 7 and we may have been talking about a WS team in 2018. A different outcome on 2 pitches. That's it. For that reason, my emotion will usually be more disappointment than anger when the Brewers are unable to pull off the desired outcome. And I will always look forward to and have hope for the next season. Otherwise it ceases to be fun and why would I engage my time and emotion into something that is not fun? Go Brewers!

I'm with you. Especially on the Go Brewers part!