Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-11 (NLDS Game #3): Brewers (Peralta) at Braves (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 3-0]

Eye Black

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a catch...right?

I'm looking at the rulebook, and I don't think so:

It is not a catch, however, if simultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player,

or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball.

Makes sense.

That's a catch...right?

Nope.

From the rule book:

A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of

a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or

any other part of his uniform in getting possession. It is not a catch, however, if

simultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player,

or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Don't like that rule. That seemed like a clear catch. Even as a Braves fan, I feel a little weird about that being ruled a hit or an error.

It does feel a little iffy, but I suppose the rule helps take away a little subjectivity about when or how a player lost the ball.

I know Peralta's pitch count is low, but I really don't want this lineup to see him a 3rd time. I hope he pitches at most through the 5th inning.

You keep saying this but Freddy's 3rd time through stats were some of the best in baseball this year...

1st PA : .160 OPP BA, .565 OPS, OPS+ 61

2nd PA: .165 OPP BA, .544 OPS, OPS+ 47

3rd PA: .174 OPP BA, ..566 OPS, OPS+ 49

He's remarkably consistent no matter which time through the order. And oh btw, he has that same trend throughout his career.

I know Peralta's pitch count is low, but I really don't want this lineup to see him a 3rd time. I hope he pitches at most through the 5th inning.

You keep saying this but Freddy's 3rd time through stats were some of the best in baseball this year...

1st PA : .160 OPP BA, .565 OPS, OPS+ 61

2nd PA: .165 OPP BA, .544 OPS, OPS+ 47

3rd PA: .174 OPP BA, ..566 OPS, OPS+ 49

He's remarkably consistent no matter which time through the order. And oh btw, he has that same trend throughout his career.

I'm mostly referring to how the Braves are seeing his pitches specifically today. He might normally do fine but I don't have a ton of confidence in him facing these guys a 3rd time.