Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-11 (NLDS Game #3): Brewers (Peralta) at Braves (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 3-0]

Eye Black

Man we picked the absolute wrong time to revert to April/May bats. Can’t win any series scoring 2 runs in 3 games. Hopefully we can turn it around some and get a Game 5 back in Milwaukee. At this point, however, the odds have to favor the Braves.

Some would say reverting to Sept. 12 through Oct. 11 bats. :laughing

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Counsell just said it won't be Burnes tomorrow. Which is the right call.

I don't really get why that's the right call, but OK I guess? I don't think it's insane to leave him for Game 5 or anything, but we are the brink of death here. If we're down 2-0 in the 1st tomorrow I'll probably be wishing Burnes had started.

I would guess either Ynoa or Smyly unless they bring back Morton on 3 days.

If managing the Braves, I'd be inclined to run Smyly out there and see if the Brewers can hit off the LHP starter. Even if it's just to go one or two times through the batting order. Then piggyback Ynoa, depending on the game situation.

If you can be certain that you're getting the same Burnes on 3 days rest as you get on 5, I think it's an easy call to go to him. But we just can't know that.

So you ask if Burnes on 3 days rest is going to be better than Lauer on 5....I don't know. I couldn't say.

Counsell just said it won't be Burnes tomorrow. Which is the right call.

I don't really get why that's the right call, but OK I guess? I don't think it's insane to leave him for Game 5 or anything, but we are the brink of death here. If we're down 2-0 in the 1st tomorrow I'll probably be wishing Burnes had started.

Our starters have been going on 5-6 days rest for most of the season. The odds of Burnes being effective on 3 days are pretty minimal. Lauer is the best option.

I said this at the time to my coworker and it was proven right...I said pulling Freddy here is going to cost them, and lo and behold it did. My thinking was this(and some of it is the baseball coach in me), If Cain doesn't get the run home there's one out(he didn't) I send Peralta up there to bunt...you have a 50/50 shot of getting one down good enough to get the runner home. If he doesn't, so be it, you then rely on Wong to get a two out hit, which is exactly what ended up happening anyway, and now you can't send Freddy back out there. To me, it was an absolute no brainer to leave Freddy in. Counsell f'd it up. He won't say he did, but 100% he did.

I said this at the time to my coworker and it was proven right...I said pulling Freddy here is going to cost them, and lo and behold it did. My thinking was this(and some of it is the baseball coach in me), If Cain doesn't get the run home there's one out(he didn't) I send Peralta up there to bunt...you have a 50/50 shot of getting one down good enough to get the runner home. If he doesn't, so be it, you then rely on Wong to get a two out hit, which is exactly what ended up happening anyway, and now you can't send Freddy back out there. To me, it was an absolute no brainer to leave Freddy in. Counsell f'd it up. He won't say he did, but 100% he did.

If Counsell did what you are suggesting he should of been fired on the spot.

Bunting with your pitcher has to be the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time. The right move was to put in a pinch hitter there. I think Counsell just used the wrong pinch hitter. Should have been Jace or Escobar in that situation and not Vogelbach.

With the way the offense has been going you have to cash in with one out and you have to put in a pinch hitter. You don't know when your next opportunity is going to come up and you have to take advantage there in the playoffs. If this were the regular season sure send up the pitcher and hope for a walk or a wild pitch or something but not in the playoffs.

Bunting with your pitcher has to be the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time. The right move was to put in a pinch hitter there. I think Counsell just used the wrong pinch hitter. Should have been Jace or Escobar in that situation and not Vogelbach.

With the way the offense has been going you have to cash in with one out and you have to put in a pinch hitter. You don't know when your next opportunity is going to come up and you have to take advantage there in the playoffs. If this were the regular season sure send up the pitcher and hope for a walk or a wild pitch or something but not in the playoffs.

You're flat out wrong, but you're also entitled to your opinion. Ask yourself this...same exact situation, are the Dodgers PH in the 5th inning for Scherzer or Urias?? Are the Cardinals PH for Wainright?? The Mets PH for DeGrom?? If you answer yes, you'll be flat out wrong again, but again entitled to your opinion.

Until they learn that how they construct their offense in the offseason(s) is NEVER going to work, this is what is going to keep happening. How much more evidence do they need?? Last year was just as bad, and Stearns still didn't "get it" apparently.

You don't say :laughing

You think this is funny?? You guys fully support the way they construct their offense, and yet continually complain about how bad it is. You do not get to have it both ways. If you're fine with the way they do things, then quit complaining. When you shop at Walmart for bats, you get Walmart quality, what the hell do you expect?? Hope is NOT a strategy, yet it's how the Brewers do things.."hope" that Yelich and Hiura turn it around...Instead of hedging on that and building your offense so that IF they still struggle you have enough quality bats to overcome it. It's not rocket science.

I get what you are saying but who could have predicted these 2 players would be so atrocious and couldn't turn it around? Hindsight is 20/20 here.

In the Brewers' defense, last offseason they did put a full court press on Justin Turner, who would have been the exact type of hitter you are seeking. It also came out that they tried to acquire Kevin Newman. Unfortunately neither worked out but it isn't like they don't realize what their deficiencies are.

It's a very positive sign that they're targeting guys like that.

If that is the type of hitter they are going after, they'll eventually grab one or two. If Stearns has proven anything, it's that he isn't afraid of upsetting the apple cart, even with a team that is good on paper.

We must admit we hoped Escobar would have been that bat that would drive in runs and that didn't happen either. Perhaps a change in the hitting coach is in order? I can understand a couple of players struggling but an entire lineup??

You can only laugh at how this offense does exactly what the opponent wants.

If only Counsell had kept Peralta in and if Williams were available the Brewers might have had a chance to lose in extra innings.

I seriously doubt we win even if Peralta stays in there. Just a gut feeling. :(

This isn't accurate at all. 50/50 shot he gets a good enough bunt down based on what? The fact that there are only two outcomes?

If that is the case, then there is a 50/50 shot the pinch hitter gets an actual hit to score two, based on the fact that the outcomes are he other does or he doesn't. We all know that's not how it works though.

And that doesn't really get into the flawed idea of bunting the pitcher in that scenario, which in and of itself is probably a terrible idea.

This isn't accurate at all. 50/50 shot he gets a good enough bunt down based on what? The fact that there are only two outcomes?

If that is the case, then there is a 50/50 shot the pinch hitter gets an actual hit to score two, based on the fact that the outcomes are he other does or he doesn't. We all know that's not how it works though.

And that doesn't really get into the flawed idea of bunting the pitcher in that scenario, which in and of itself is probably a terrible idea.

Look, the bottom line is, Counsell should have never been in that position to begin with...if Urias advances on the pitch that got away(what the hell was he doing?) Narvaez's double scores him and at that point I'm guessing with a run on the board he keeps Freddy in.

So he doesn't bunt...he strikes out instead, or maybe somehow draws a walk, or whatever other outcome you want to imagine(the least likely at that point was a double play), which would have been the absolute worst outcome. If you don't score there, there were still 4 more AB's, maybe someone runs into one later, or something else happens and you score. Counsell also erred with going with Houser there. You have to be mindful of those things...you know the Pitcher spot is coming up next inning and they were likely to PH, if I'm CC, the last guy I want to face in a PH situation is Joc(who it was fair to assume no matter the situation was going to be the first PH off their bench), force their hand so they use anyone but Joc there...bring in the lefty Ashby instead.

Now Nate, saying it’s a dumb idea just isn’t right. It’s a viable option that occurs 100’s of times each season. It’s an opinion and not a rare one at that. It might have gotten a run in that might have changed the game. We’ll never know, now won’t we Nathan.

You're flat out wrong, but you're also entitled to your opinion. Ask yourself this...same exact situation, are the Dodgers PH in the 5th inning for Scherzer or Urias?? Are the Cardinals PH for Wainright?? The Mets PH for DeGrom?? If you answer yes, you'll be flat out wrong again, but again entitled to your opinion.

Not really accurate comparisons because LA and STL have functioning solid offenses. We don't, so it's a different level of necessity to get a run or two if given the chance. Normal situation I'm sure CC doesn't do this in the 4th inning, the ineptitude of the offense lately has created a different situation though.

If the Brewers get eliminated tomorrow, Haines seriously needs to go. Over the last 5 postseason games the Brewers have been shut out 3 times and scored a total of 4 runs. They have a prime window with their pitching and need to do something to upgrade/give a spark to the offense.