Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-11 (NLDS Game #3): Brewers (Peralta) at Braves (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 3-0]

Eye Black

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matzek is really struggling with his release point, but this still isn't looking great obviously

Hasn't hit the mitt once, but still seems to hit the zone almost every time. Maddening.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Matzek is really struggling with his release point, but this still isn't looking great obviously

Hasn't hit the mitt once, but still seems to hit the zone almost every time. Maddening.

Well that's the thing, he was grooving fastballs to Urias on 0-2. No way is he trying to do that, the catcher i believe was set up at the letters. Unfortunately we didn't punish those pitches too much...

Edited by KeithStone53151

I don't think anyone would blame Counsell if Peralta gave up a 3-run homer in the 5th. He was dealing. Yes a few would, but that bringing him back out was far more understandable than what he did, imo.

Keeping him in gets you, at best a chance to remain in a 50-50 game after 5.

What's the win probability after the next guy in immediately gives up a 3 run bomb?

Can't believe there's a single person defending that move. I really can't. The Braves were not into the 5th inning. The 5th.

Giving up a three-run bomb is like your opponent drawing to a flush. It's not a very likely outcome. It might happen, but living in fear of it costs you money.

The part I find tough is anyone not acknowledging that it's a pretty tough call.

Edited by Cool Hand Lucroy

Community Moderator

Doesn't that describe 90% of hard-throwing relief pitchers in MLB these days?

I think letting Garcia walk after the season just became a much easier decision. This team desperately lacks a guy that can rack up base hits. Sure a lineup with its highest batting average topping out in the mid .270's isn't necessarily reflective of its ability to score runs if the batters can slug and draw walks. But it would be nice to at least have one friggin' bat that you have hope for getting a base hit when runners are on base. It's called balance.

I think Urias and Adames have that type of ability, but they need to decide whether they are power guys or OBP guys. By all appearances, they want to be power guys, at least right now.

That might very well be organizational philosophy as opposed to personal choice. And I think the debate will rage on as to whether or not it will get them to the ultimate goal.

They don't have the means to have the high-octane offense and the pitching staff unless they get a very fast, lucky streak of drafting. The plan was defense and it worked; if they'd happened to have one of their hot offensive streaks they were probably good enough to do real damage. Everyone knew this type of 2 or 3 run week was possible in the NLDS. We all just prayed it didn't break that way...probably due to not make an LCS anyway.

I think letting Garcia walk after the season just became a much easier decision. This team desperately lacks a guy that can rack up base hits. Sure a lineup with its highest batting average topping out in the mid .270's isn't necessarily reflective of its ability to score runs if the batters can slug and draw walks. But it would be nice to at least have one friggin' bat that you have hope for getting a base hit when runners are on base. It's called balance.

I guess I'm not sure how letting go of your best or second best hitter helps with that. That's not say I advocate spending the money on Garcia (have to see details) but I don't see the logic of "the offense is killing us so its clear we should let go of our best or second best hitter." Wong is the type of guy you talk about wanting here and they did get him last year.

The team building aspect is greatly affected by Yeli and Huira being so bad. I guess management is generally to blame since they're in charge. But really, who could've expected that. Think if either was just like 80% of their ability how much it would've helped. yet somehow they still won 95 games and probably could've got 100 if they needed.

To CHL: I'm one that acknowledges it was tough call. really tough spot to be in

Edited by tmwiese55

The part I find tough is anyone not acknowledging that it's a pretty tough call.

I guess it completely caught me so off guard I didn't even realize it was a realistic option, I can't acknowledge it's a tough call if I don't even realize it was a thought. I still can't go back and convince myself in any way it was the right thing to do. I understand they have to try to score but ... yeah I don't think it was a tough call, just a bad one. Everyone makes mistakes.

We're done. CC has done a lot for this team but he likely just cost them this series.

No. The absolute inability to score runs will be the reason why this series is over for all intents and purposes. :(

+1......and very predictable at that.

Agree, but wouldn’t that be an argument for keeping your starter, who was doing very well and is one of your aces (the strength of the tram), in there instead of pinch hitting? We know our offense is struggling so we need to keep our best pitching in to prevent the other team from scoring and hope we can get into one to win 1-0 (or maybe 2-0 if we get lucky). Taking Peralta out early depends on our bullpen, which at this point isn’t very strong, too hope to not allow any runs. So going to the bullpen is basically throwing the game away.

I get it, if we don’t score at all, it doesn’t matter who pitched in our side and how many runs we give up. I think being down 3-0 puts a lot more pressure off the offense than being down 1-0 or 2-0 since the odds of us coming back and scoring 4 runs is very unlikely. 1-0 or 2-0 we could get lucky and lay into one like we did in game 1.

The offense sucked most of the year. It’s no surprise it sucks during the playoffs

This is just purely inaccurate.

You’re going to tell me this was a good offense?

No. Just that it's factually inaccurate that the offense sucked most of the year. It was one of the better offenses in the league for nearly half the season. That's not insignificant.

If I heard the radio right, we are 0 for 9 with RISP in this series (since the Tellez HR of course)

The TBS broadcast said 0 for 15, which is now 0 for 16 after Cain struck out.

0 for 7 today.

And Tellez HR was with a guy on 1b.

Edited by Baldkin

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think Urias and Adames have that type of ability, but they need to decide whether they are power guys or OBP guys. By all appearances, they want to be power guys, at least right now.

That might very well be organizational philosophy as opposed to personal choice. And I think the debate will rage on as to whether or not it will get them to the ultimate goal.

In the Brewers' defense, last offseason they did put a full court press on Justin Turner, who would have been the exact type of hitter you are seeking. It also came out that they tried to acquire Kevin Newman. Unfortunately neither worked out but it isn't like they don't realize what their deficiencies are.

Until they learn that how they construct their offense in the offseason(s) is NEVER going to work, this is what is going to keep happening. How much more evidence do they need?? Last year was just as bad, and Stearns still didn't "get it" apparently.

You don't say :laughing

You think this is funny?? You guys fully support the way they construct their offense, and yet continually complain about how bad it is. You do not get to have it both ways. If you're fine with the way they do things, then quit complaining. When you shop at Walmart for bats, you get Walmart quality, what the hell do you expect?? Hope is NOT a strategy, yet it's how the Brewers do things.."hope" that Yelich and Hiura turn it around...Instead of hedging on that and building your offense so that IF they still struggle you have enough quality bats to overcome it. It's not rocket science.

I don't think anyone would blame Counsell if Peralta gave up a 3-run homer in the 5th. He was dealing. Yes a few would, but that bringing him back out was far more understandable than what he did, imo.

Keeping him in gets you, at best a chance to remain in a 50-50 game after 5.

What's the win probability after the next guy in immediately gives up a 3 run bomb?

Can't believe there's a single person defending that move. I really can't. The Braves were not into the 5th inning. The 5th.

You're being results oriented.

The decision to PH for Peralta is certainly debatable, but you judge it by the probabilities/expectations at the time, not by what actually happened. There are perfectly valid arguments for keeping him in and pulling him.

Until they learn that how they construct their offense in the offseason(s) is NEVER going to work, this is what is going to keep happening. How much more evidence do they need?? Last year was just as bad, and Stearns still didn't "get it" apparently.

You don't say :laughing

You think this is funny?? You guys fully support the way they construct their offense, and yet continually complain about how bad it is. You do not get to have it both ways. If you're fine with the way they do things, then quit complaining. When you shop at Walmart for bats, you get Walmart quality, what the hell do you expect?? Hope is NOT a strategy, yet it's how the Brewers do things.."hope" that Yelich and Hiura turn it around...Instead of hedging on that and building your offense so that IF they still struggle you have enough quality bats to overcome it. It's not rocket science.

I do not think the Brewers' offensive performance is funny.

However, your reaction to it continues to be downright hilarious. A zebra doesn't change it's stripes.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

It's all just a tightrope. I mean you know you have to keep your opponents to a couple runs to win, and that influences every single pitching decision. On the other hand, you know you have to take advantage of every scoring opportunity, especially one where you can score on an out.

I really believe we win this game if we go up 2-0 there. I sort of think psychologically it matters to get a run or two here, even in an L. Just gotta get something to push forward with.