Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-09 (NLDS Game #2): Braves (Fried) at Brewers (Woodruff) [Brewers lose, 3-0]

Eye Black

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a few games left (possibly) to flip that switch...

I guess reality is only one team winds up flipping the switch properly to say they got it right each year.

Cards flipped theirs too early I guess?

There should be no concern with the pitching based on games 1&2 - bats have to be better, particularly early in the game to actually make a starting pitcher work. Seems like the norm lately has been starters getting into innings 5-6 with basically no stress and very manageable pitch counts because the Brewers' offense is just not putting anything threatening together.

Only a few games left (possibly) to flip that switch...

I guess reality is only one team winds up flipping the switch properly to say they got it right each year.

Cards flipped theirs too early I guess?

There should be no concern with the pitching based on games 1&2 - bats have to be better, particularly early in the game to actually make a starting pitcher work. Seems like the norm lately has been starters getting into innings 5-6 with basically no stress and very manageable pitch counts because the Brewers' offense is just not putting anything threatening together.

Yup. Look, Ian Anderson is a good pitcher, but he's not a guy who should scare anyone. If you can't put up playoff runs against him, you probably don't deserve to stick around.

What makes the Brewers dangerous is that they are going to throw three ace pitchers at you all through a short series. They're going to make you win games with 3 runs, 2 runs, etc.

The frustrating part about today was the final third. Offense had chances against the pen. You figure your pitching can win you two games in 5. Offense has to get you one. Hope it's Monday

The problem is the Brewers don't really have 3 "ace pitchers" at the moment. Both Peralta and Woodruff have still been quite good, but also quite mortal in the second half. Certainly valuable, but not aces.

Corbin Burnes is the Brewers ace. He's the guy and he's the only one. Woodruff and Peralta and even Leuer are all very good pitchers but there is one guy on this staff right now that you'd feel comfortable trusting with an elimination game.

The frustrating part about today was the final third.

Yes, but if they weren't so incompetent offensively for the first 6 innings against a starter you get more cracks at that pen, too. Frankly the Braves did them a big favor in pulling Fried after 81 pitches. Frustrating part to me continues to be innings 1-6 of completely inept offense, which limits the wear and tear they can put on a bullpen to help them later in the series in big spots.

The problem is the Brewers don't really have 3 "ace pitchers" at the moment. Both Peralta and Woodruff have still been quite good, but also quite mortal in the second half. Certainly valuable, but not aces.

Corbin Burnes is the Brewers ace. He's the guy and he's the only one. Woodruff and Peralta and even Leuer are all very good pitchers but there is one guy on this staff right now that you'd feel comfortable trusting with an elimination game.

Burnes is clearly our best. But I'll take Peralta, Lauer, and Houser over anyone the Braves have not named Morton or Fried. And that's where we are in this series. You have to win two games where you'll be starting the better pitcher, and by a clear margin.

If you can't do it, well, that's baseball. But your offense has to clear a pretty low bar. Play well in one game. Win one game by getting 5 or 6 because the rest of the time 2 or 3 should be enough.

I'm not saying they'll do it. Just that this is how it's supposed to go. We're still well on-script in this series.

Burnes is clearly our best. But I'll take Peralta, Lauer, and Houser over anyone the Braves have not named Morton or Fried. And that's where we are in this series. You have to win two games where you'll be starting the better pitcher, and by a clear margin.

If you can't do it, well, that's baseball. But your offense has to clear a pretty low bar. Play well in one game. Win one game by getting 5 or 6 because the rest of the time 2 or 3 should be enough.

I'm not saying they'll do it. Just that this is how it's supposed to go. We're still well on-script in this series.

I think you're underselling Ian Anderson quite a lot. He's pretty legit.

Meh…split is fine, Atlanta bullpen looks shaky. Pitching matches will remain in our favor. I’m not worried.

If we can't get any timely hits off this shaky bullpen this was the last game at home in 2021.

The only hope we have is if we continue to play better on the road than we do at "Miller Park" (it will always be that name to me).

Meh…split is fine, Atlanta bullpen looks shaky. Pitching matches will remain in our favor. I’m not worried.

If we can't get any timely hits off this shaky bullpen this was the last game at home in 2021.

The only hope we have is if we continue to play better on the road than we do at "Miller Park" (it will always be that name to me).

This...

I think the exceptional pitching has hidden the fact that the Brewers are a poor hitting club. Either the personnel are bad, or the approach is poor. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Why was our 3rd string catcher hitting with 2 men on, bottom of the 9th in a playoff game?

Bc our only other available catcher was a slumping lefty.

Who was likely being saved for extra innings since after Narvaez it was what? JBJ to PH?

I agree with a poster that said pulling Pina made zero sense. Zero. It ruined 2 PHs that led to Maille ending up with that situation.

All in all terrible game. Did we even see a runner reach 3rd base today? How about game 1? (Working) Tellez hit a 2run HR. Was there ever an AB that game with a runner on 3rd?

Ian Anderson has a FIP of 4+. He's fine. Good even. But he's the kind of pitcher you have to score off of in the playoffs because quality goes up.

All I'm saying is, out back-end playoff guys are better.

I mean, so do Lauer and Houser? Anderson was a top 3 draft pick, was one of the top pitching prospects in baseball, and has a career 3.25 ERA at age 23. If he was a Brewer, we'd be excited to have him and rightfully so. I wouldn't agree that our back end guys are better. Our front guys, sure. Anderson is still developing and absolutely has ace upside.

I don't see a marked difference between a Charlie Morton and an Ian Anderson as far as the potential ability to shut down a lineup.

Yes, we'll have to figure out a way to score off these next couple guys one way or another.

To say that yesterday’s game was disappointing would be a huge understatement.

A large crowd buzzing with excitement and ready to explode, and for about 2 1/2 hours they get nothing to get excited about.

Then the late teases fizzled quickly with more unproductive at bats.

The Brewers have to find some offense quick or it’s going to be a short postseason.

If this isn’t a team wide hitting slump I’ve never seen one. I can’t think of one position player that hasn’t been struggling at the plate since the team left Cleveland.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.