Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-08 (NLDS Game #1): Braves (Morton) at Brewers (Burnes) [Brewers win, 2-1 -- Rowdy provides a run saving defensive play early and hits a 2-run HR late; Burnes pitches 6 scoreless innings]

Eye Black

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Going back to read the Game threa. Had to loosely follow the game in Gameday while driving in rush hour traffic in and around Spokane, Warshington. That 9th was mildly stressful!

Been wanting to say something, just haven't.

I know you aren't getting a lot of replies to your posts, that seems to be how it works here for the newbies for whatever reason, but I appreciate your posts...

Keep it up.

There are a couple of new guys here lately that I think are valuable adds.

That's all, carry on...

Thanks my friend! No sweat. I know I am in good company, regardless. Thanks for the kind words.

Boy, the game thread was filled with doubt. This may be corny, but I hope we bring our ‘A’ games too. I know the post-season is stressful and the bats were facing a hot Morton...but, let’s root root root for the Home team. We face a tough road with our injuries and the offensive slump at present BUT a win is a win is a win. Excited for Game 2.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Going back to read the Game thread. Had to loosely follow the game in Gameday while driving in rush hour traffic in and around Spokane, Warshington. That 9th was mildly stressful!

I coukdn’t believe I couldn’t find the game on National am radio.

Yeah, AM radio is a bleak landscape these days. A lot of the ESPN affiliates don't carry some of the live events, and every station chooses (football) talk over any other programming. If you're not in a team's local or on satellite, good luck.

I miss the days when you could pick up Reds games from just about anywhere in the Midwest.

Yeah it was a sober reminder of the overall bleakness (as you say). I was a wee sad at first BUT, alas, I got to hear the 7th inning meltdown of Ol’ pal Tony LaRussa and his overrated White Sox. As a matter of fact, rumor has it he is still challenging an interpretation of a rule at the stadium in Houston.

I wonder if Lauer will get the nod after Woodruff tomorrow like Houser did today?

Does this mean that CC has no faith in the bullpen guys who normally come in after the starter?

If we use Lauer like we used Houser tomorrow, what do we do when Freddy starts game 3? (I fully expect Freddy to be our game 3 starter at this point) Can Houser pitch another 2 or 3 innings in game 3?

So many questions, but just happy as hell we got the win.

The Williams injury is just so huge to comprehend, just a tragic thing to happen to this team.

I think the matchups were really good for Houser and he was dealing and not missing his spots all that much so I think that is why CC stuck with him over someone else. Ashby and Peralta were also getting ready to come in during the 8th. Also with Burnes going 6 innings that helped in bridging the gap. I am assuming if Burnes only goes 5 innings Houser gets the 6th and 7th and then Peralta or Ashby for the 8th depending on the matchups.

I think the Brewers go with Ashby if Woodruff needs help tomorrow but hopefully Woodruff can go 6 or 7 innings tomorrow so the bullpen can be rested still. Going through game 1 and only using 2 bullpen pitchers is pretty good and setting the team up to use everyone if they have to tomorrow. Even though the Braves didn't win their bullpen is still in good shape also.

Also, color me shocked, but man I nearly coughed up my drink when I went to page 1 and saw no Suter, a third catcher, and Jandale Gustave.

Whewwwww. That’s intense. Lol.

Had the same reaction. Wonder if Maile even gets an AB. Even if he doesn't, there are really no changes I'd make to this roster.

EDIT: also realizing Burnes only threw 91 pitches, which, given his rest level, may allow him to pitch Game 4. We'll see how it goes, but I feel better about him on short rest than I would have otherwise. Still would like to avoid it, but today opens the door at least.

Gustave over Suter is a total shocker. Gustave is the ultimate king garbage time guy and Suter pitched in several close, really tight games. I guess the big right handed bats did him in. Has to be really disappointing for him.

The team said Suter is out with an oblique strain, he wasn't left off the roster by choice

Also, color me shocked, but man I nearly coughed up my drink when I went to page 1 and saw no Suter, a third catcher, and Jandale Gustave.

Whewwwww. That’s intense. Lol.

Had the same reaction. Wonder if Maile even gets an AB. Even if he doesn't, there are really no changes I'd make to this roster.

Facing a lefty, Maile on the roster allows Omar to PH against a RHP late game instead of having to save him. Maile may not bat, and his presence allowing Omar to PH is useful.

Gustave over Suter is a total shocker. Gustave is the ultimate king garbage time guy and Suter pitched in several close, really tight games. I guess the big right handed bats did him in. Has to be really disappointing for him.

He’s hurt.

Oops.. missed that this morning.

Going back to read the Game thread. Had to loosely follow the game in Gameday while driving in rush hour traffic in and around Spokane, Warshington. That 9th was mildly stressful!

I coukdn’t believe I couldn’t find the game on National am radio.

Yeah, AM radio is a bleak landscape these days. A lot of the ESPN affiliates don't carry some of the live events, and every station chooses (football) talk over any other programming. If you're not in a team's local or on satellite, good luck.

I miss the days when you could pick up Reds games from just about anywhere in the Midwest.

I've found my subscription to the MLB app to very valuable to this point. I think I pay about $20 a year, but well worth it with our travel around Wisconsin(and walking my dog) in the sumemer. I don't ever have to worry if I can't find it on the radio.

Was able to go to yesterday’s game, and I have to say Rowdy’s home run was one of the most aesthetically pleasing I’ve seen in person. There was no doubt the split second his bat met the ball, just a perfect laser off the bat. Such a great memorable moment to start this series. Between that and his run saving defensive play in the 1st inning, I agree with the poster that coined it “the Rowdy Tellez game.”
Not just “at Night” anymore.