Brewer Fanatic

2021 MLB Postseason: AL & NL Division Series Games

Eye Black

Never seen this TB/Bos play before and never though of it. How can that only be a ground rule double when the defender is the one who knocked it out of play? Guessing that rule will be tweaked after this.

Plus, as Vasgersian said, the ump has the discretion to score the run if its clear he'd score, yet they never have the balls to do it. This is probably the most obvious time of when they should since the guy was running on the pitch and already at 3rd when it bounced.

Yeah, they definitely need to tweek that rule. Got a quick runner on 1st, ball takes a nasty bounce off the wall - outfielder could perhaps purposely try to boot it into the stands. However, that play was also a function of the short right field wall in Fenway. In most stadiums that ball would have stayed in play.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never seen this TB/Bos play before and never though of it. How can that only be a ground rule double when the defender is the one who knocked it out of play? Guessing that rule will be tweaked after this.

Plus, as Vasgersian said, the ump has the discretion to score the run if its clear he'd score, yet they never have the balls to do it. This is probably the most obvious time of when they should since the guy was running on the pitch and already at 3rd when it bounced.

Yeah, they definitely need to tweek that rule. Got a quick runner on 1st, ball takes a nasty bounce off the wall - outfielder could perhaps purposely try to boot it into the stands. However, that play was also a function of the short right field wall in Fenway. In most stadiums that ball would have stayed in play.

I always assumed it was treated the same as a player knocking a live ball out of play. Two base award from time of PITCH unless ruled intentional.

https://baseballrulesacademy.com/deflected-balls-go-into-dead-ball-territory/

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
When you watch the RF corner cam, I won't say "absolutely", but I don't see any intent from the RF trying to knock the ball out of play. It was just a thing that happened. One could argue it's a dumb rule, but how often does it come into play? I don't like it when sports start making rule changes because something happened one time and a team got hosed because of it. If it's something that happens a lot, or even occasionally, then maybe take a look at it. This is literally the first time I've ever seen something like this happen.

I don’t understand the Grandal play. So you can just run anywhere on the infield before you get to the 45ft mark if it’s establishing your own lane? If you grounded to the second baseman and knew they were coming home with the throw what would stop you from just lightly jogging in front of the plate and letting the ball hit you? I can’t imagine the explanation that it doesn’t matter where the runner is in that case can be true?
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don’t understand the Grandal play. So you can just run anywhere on the infield before you get to the 45ft mark if it’s establishing your own lane? If you grounded to the second baseman and knew they were coming home with the throw what would stop you from just lightly jogging in front of the plate and letting the ball hit you? I can’t imagine the explanation that it doesn’t matter where the runner is in that case can be true?

Yeah, I am with you. That play felt wrong.

I have been trying to root for the White Sox, but every time they show LaRussa I wince. Plus I like Dusty for some reason. Dilemmas dilemmas.

Man that White Sox lineup is absolutely stacked with young, elite talent. A Brewers/White Sox World Series would be fascinating with our starting pitching against their offense.

Nope. That would be absolutely horrible. White Sox fans would dominate AmFam...would look really bad on the national stage and would not be fun for Brewer fans in attendance.

....also want White Sox to lose tonight as I prefer a 3pm game tomorrow.

....also..how does A.J. Pierzynski (spl?) announce a nationally televised White Sox playoff game?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The rules on running to first are largely due to lefties like Grandal. In many cases a lefty can have a bit of a looping run to first if they are in front of a pitch. However, in the Grandal AB his swing did not cause such a path. It was pretty intentional to make the looping run to first that he did.

I can’t remember who it was, but the Brewers had a similar situation this year that everyone cried about for days. The big difference in that scenario though was the fact the batter did end up pretty far in front of home because of his swing…thus causing a run to first that was much more by/on the grass. That players run to first was still fairly straight after he got going.

I don’t recall the 45 foot rule being mentioned…so I don’t know if that is actually a thing. I will say I don’t think the point of the rule is to allow things like Grandal did. Astros fans can cry all they want, but I would expect every player in baseball to try the same if they have good awareness and are smart. It really isn’t much different than sliding into a base to break up a DP. If anything be mad at the umps for blowing the call.

I can’t remember who it was, but the Brewers had a similar situation this year that everyone cried about for days. The big difference in that scenario though was the fact the batter did end up pretty far in front of home because of his swing…thus causing a run to first that was much more by/on the grass. That players run to first was still fairly straight after he got going.

Are you referring to Zack Godley getting called for interference with Isan Diaz running on the grass to 1B?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Are you referring to Zack Godley getting called for interference with Isan Diaz running on the grass to 1B?

Ahh yes…Isan Diaz. I knew it was a former Brewer.

Man that White Sox lineup is absolutely stacked with young, elite talent. A Brewers/White Sox World Series would be fascinating with our starting pitching against their offense.

Our pitching against their offense might be ok.

Our offense against their pitching (which is pretty damn good) would not be ok.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Red Sox will win the World Series

They finished in last place last year, so they're kinda due.

I feel awful for their fans to have to go through a year of losing

I vomited a little when I read these posts. But, I know you are good gents so I didn't hold resentment.

Doesn't make the Brewers' hitting any less bad, but he how must Dodgers fans feel right now with their world-beater team getting shutout twice by their rival?

They should be pretty used to postseason failure by now.

This is the Dodgers ninth straight season participating, they've won 820 games over that stretch, the next best team is NYY at 759, a whopping 61 games behind, or about 7 wins per year.

Yet despite this extended dominance the Dodgers only World Series win so far was in the pandemic weirdened season. The Yankees haven't even made a WS.

STL & CLE are 3rd/4th in wins during the Dodgers run of dominance & have just a WS loss each to show for it.

The playoffs are hard for everybody.