Brewer Fanatic

Game Times Are Out

BruisedCrew

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game 2 was really easy to sell at a modest gain. But Game 1 requires PTO for most folks so it is predictably not as easy. G2 I sold on SH in less than 24 hours, G1 is still listed and I keep dropping the price. I think I probably will still get face back, but it's looking like a profit of like $10 a ticket. Nothing fancy. I'd go but I'm actually off that day for another thing planned months ago.

The market for these NLDS games was predictable but sellers will lose money if selling at face. Win some, lose some, no Chicago fans to pump up the prices this time around.
I don't recall playing the Cubs or White Sox in previous playoff years so I'm not sure what this means. It was a packed house for the NLDS in 2018 against the Rockies.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The market for these NLDS games was predictable but sellers will lose money if selling at face. Win some, lose some, no Chicago fans to pump up the prices this time around.
I don't recall playing the Cubs or White Sox in previous playoff years so I'm not sure what this means. It was a packed house for the NLDS in 2018 against the Rockies.

There was a potential matchup with the Cubs on the horizon in 2018 when tickets were being sold. It was only once they lost to COL that it didn't happen. In the lead-up to the NLDS you were able to sell tickets to confident Illinois buyers for 3, 4 or 5x face. You made more money on the NLDS than the NLCS, also because the face value was much lower.

Season ticket holders made tons of money off Cubs fans because it looked like they would play them. Of course the stadium will sell out, doesn't mean there is a large market where fans will overspend.

Am I supposed to feel bad that there isn't a robust market for resellers?

I don't think anyone cares how you feel about it. How many threads does the same group of people have to try to send off the rails with this stuff? It's just people talking about the ticket market for a game. Some of us are interested in that sort of thing.

It's always funny though how the same group has no moral dilemma about a buying $7 club ticket in May that a season ticket holder paid $47 for. The morality of face value only applies when it benefits the buyer on the secondary market, I guess.

There are myriad reasons why people sell a ticket, most of them not evil. I can't go to either game this weekend; I buy the strip because I want the World Series. I'm not going to every playoff game. Logistically impossible. At the point where I have to sell a game I can't attend, sorry guys, but I'm extracting the highest re-sell value I can out of it. I'm not handing it over at face if I don't have to. When you float $4-5000 on playoff tickets, I might care about your opinion of reselling.

As much as I always want to get a good price for a ticket personally, I totally get a SSH trying to recoup some of their expenses to be a SSH if they can't make a game. I would do the exact same thing and so would 99% of people.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

With the two late afternoon start times, how much will shadows/glare be a factor for Games 1 & 2? If so, for which innings?

I could be wrong, but with it now being October and the sun setting earlier, I don't think it will be a factor for the 4:07 start, and will probably only be a LF factor for 1 or 2 innings of the Friday game. More of a factor for people sitting in the LF bleachers (assuming its a sunny day).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator

The number of tickets available on Friday is very low. It can't be more than 1,500, mostly the top 5-10 rows of the corners of the terrace. This isn't going to be like St. Louis or Washington DC in 2019 when there were 5,000-10,000+ open seats in the NLDS.

If the Brewers want full sellouts they can price accordingly. The Mariners wanted sellouts for their final weekend so they sold nosebleed tickets for $9. They went quickly.

As much as I always want to get a good price for a ticket personally, I totally get a SSH trying to recoup some of their expenses to be a SSH if they can't make a game. I would do the exact same thing and so would 99% of people.

It's not always just that you can't make games. My playoff tickets are more than twice the amount I pay for my 20 game package. That's more than I can afford, but I also want to go to as many games as possible. So, selling one or two of the games to help recoup cost and hopefully pay for some of the tickets I'm keeping is my best option for doing that. Probably will not sell NLDS, but if they get beyond that then I will probably need to start selling some games. I have a feeling that if they get to the WS I'm will make the dumb financial decision not to sell any games...because I would really struggle with selling any of those games!!

I went to the WS in 82. $8 a ticket for bleachers. I believe I got them through a lottery the Brewers did for the postseason that year. Got 4 tickets for each game. I was in High School and sold the other 3 tickets to my friends at face value. Went to every game. I think tickets were being re-sold for $300 or something like that. A fortune to a High School kid at the time. My friends were bouncing around the idea of selling the tix. I said "No Way!". No one sold and we went to all 3 home games.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The games would probably be sold out, but SSH can sell under face value and make money/break even. For instance a ticket from the Brewers is $60, but a SSH is only paying $40 for that ticket. Lots of people who won't take off for the games are selling, thus hurting purchases directly from the Brewers a bit.

Something that doesn't get mentioned is that to qualify for the payment plan on playoff tickets, you have to renew for the following season.

My strip was $4,000, but unless I pay that $4,000 up front, I'm forced into renewal if I want the installment payments.

I could front the $4k, but it's frankly really annoying, and the refunds come through at a molasses pace, so you are still forced to pay a $4k credit card bill while waiting for a refund that takes FOREVER to come through. The slowness of the refunds is the exact reason I do use the payment plan, because at least if the Brewers lose before the WS there's a chance I won't be billed at all for the final payment.

The team does quite a bit of understandable but shady billing stuff like this, so I don't really lose sleep over resale of tickets.

I think their stance on resale is fair. Your strip is fair game and they leave it alone, they just don't want you to resell the presale tickets. I think that's reasonable.

That is only if you sell tickets purchased at pre-sales, like the one for the NLCS tomorrow. They've never done any kind of discipline for people selling their season ticket strip. I know they will revoke your account if you sell a certain number of regular season games, which I think is anything more than 50% of them...which is silly, because generally any non-Cubs game sells at a loss.

Here the thing about resale of tickets:

We have one group that hates re-selling because it allegedly drives the price too high for the average fan.

We have another group just buying tickets they've got no interest in using, solely to re-sell.

But then we have the third group, pretty regular Joes of perhaps some modest affluence, who would never be willing to pay secondary market prices but can maybe afford the $1k per seat on season tickets. The Brewers then essentially back these folks into a corner and tell them the only guarantee of a World Series ticket is if they buy an entire strip of postseason games (that they know they can't attend). This strip of 13 games is 2-2.5x more than their entire 20 pack.

This fan is now, (hint: it's me), $6-7k in the hole on the season...and for all intents and purposes is now all but forced to participate in the secondary market re-sell just to finance their own 2-4 games they want to attend.

The re-sale end up just being an effort to recoup some of the money you've already spent.

If they just said "Pick 4 playoff games you want, we'll guarantee your seat, send us $1000 and we're good," I'd just do that. But that isn't what they do.

Here the thing about resale of tickets:

We have one group that hates re-selling because it allegedly drives the price too high for the average fan.

We have another group just buying tickets they've got no interest in using, solely to re-sell.

But then we have the third group, pretty regular Joes of perhaps some modest affluence, who would never be willing to pay secondary market prices but can maybe afford the $1k per seat on season tickets. The Brewers then essentially back these folks into a corner and tell them the only guarantee of a World Series ticket is if they buy an entire strip of postseason games (that they know they can't attend). This strip of 13 games is 2-2.5x more than their entire 20 pack.

This fan is now, (hint: it's me), $6-7k in the hole on the season...and for all intents and purposes is now all but forced to participate in the secondary market re-sell just to finance their own 2-4 games they want to attend.

The re-sale end up just being an effort to recoup some of the money you've already spent.

If they just said "Pick 4 playoff games you want, we'll guarantee your seat, send us $1000 and we're good," I'd just do that. But that isn't what they do.

Wouldn’t it make cents to just spend all that lost money on seats to a few playoff games? Seems like a lot of hassle.