Brewer Fanatic

2021 MLB Postseason: AL & NL Wild Card Games

Eye Black

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the most recent crop of rookies is better at hitting against the shift than previous years…

Yeah, but it also helps that Treinen missed his spot by about a foot - took advantage of the overshift by just putting the bat on the ball on what was still a tough pitch to drive on the outside corner.

So that’s the best angle they could come up with to see if he re tagged 2nd? I don’t think he did.

Me neither.

You gotta have a better angle than that...there are sooo many cameras. MLB replay, man.

He didn't retouch the bag - that was a break. If he did even the view looking at second from home plate would have showed his foot shift a bit if he did get the side of the bag.

So that’s the best angle they could come up with to see if he re tagged 2nd? I don’t think he did.

Me neither.

You gotta have a better angle than that...there are sooo many cameras. MLB replay, man.

This always bugs me. NFL knows that critical plays happen on sidelines and end zones, so they have those areas plastered with cameras. Why can't MLB figure out that bases are where their critical plays happen, and should be covered all the time for replay purposes?

The only counterargument I can think of is that it only reinforces a trend to challenge and litigate bang-bang plays that may be soul-deadening to the sport, but I mean, that genie is already out of the bottle. Why not get the call definitively right?

Me neither.

This always bugs me. NFL knows that critical plays happen on sidelines and end zones, so they have those areas plastered with cameras. Why can't MLB figure out that bases are where their critical plays happen, and should be covered all the time for replay purposes?

The only counterargument I can think of is that it only reinforces a trend to challenge and litigate bang-bang plays that may be soul-deadening to the sport, but I mean, that genie is already out of the bottle. Why not get the call definitively right?

Aside from replay - what is the mechanism of the ump actually having to make the call that the runner is out? Does the defense have to appeal or go and tag the guy back at 1st, or as soon as he doesn't retouch the bag the ump would call him out if he see him miss it? Just curious, because honestly what else does Diaz have to be looking for as the 2nd base ump in that spot?

Is this an MLB mandate or a TBS decision not to have a strike zone box?

Like how they are doing it…. Don’t need to see that box on every pitch. Replays? Sure.

I'm kind of with you. It's sort of fun in the sense that it's just harder to complain about balls and strikes when you don't have the frame of reference for every pitch. Makes it feel like ten years ago.

Aside from replay - what is the mechanism of the ump actually having to make the call that the runner is out? Does the defense have to appeal or go and tag the guy back at 1st, or as soon as he doesn't retouch the bag the ump would call him out if he see him miss it? Just curious, because honestly what else does Diaz have to be looking for as the 2nd base ump in that spot?

I’m pretty sure that is an appeal play, just like a runner missing a base while advancing around the bases.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.