Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-03: Brewers (Anderson) at Dodgers (Buehler) [Brewers lose, 10-3 -- Bring on the Postseason]

Eye Black

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Anderson gets his second “last” appearance for the Brewers in 4 days before he may or may not be on the playoff roster.

I’m guessing he will be on the playoff roster as a possible long reliever or to be available in case a game goes deep into extra innings.

I’m still surprised that the Brewers have completely abandoned the rotation that they followed all season once they clinched the division title, and will be going into the playoffs with the top starters having little or no game action for two weeks or more.

I trust the Brewers believe they can have the starters as ready to go through non game throwing sessions, but their approach does seem unconventional. The team in the most similar position, the White Sox, has held to their rotation and has had Lynn, Rodon, Giolito, and Cease take starts and go about 5 innings. Maybe that’s what LaRussa has done in the past and he thinks the approach can be successful.

The Braves have announced Morton as their starter for NLDS Game 1 but also have him listed as a starter for today, presumably for a relatively short appearance after going 7 strong innings in one of the Braves division clinching wins over the Phillies on Tuesday. If he makes that start he will be right on schedule with 4 days rest for Friday. Fried pitched 7 strong innings on Wednesday and will presumably throw some kind of simulated game tomorrow to be on schedule for Saturday. Their approach seems more conventional than what the Brewers are doing.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Why would the Brewers not have more of a vested interest in preventing the Dodgers from winning the NL West?

Because the Padres are throwing Reiss Knehr against Logan Webb today so it probably won't matter anyway?

Because it doesn't have any effect on the Brewers series vs the Braves beginning Friday?

I wonder what kind of odds Vegas gives the Brewers in this one.

It can't be good.

Vegas Insider has the Brewers between +225 to +245.

Looks like the only team with longer odds today are the Orioles at +275 to +300 vs Toronto.

Vegas Insider NL Pennant Odds...

LAD +165 | SFG +300 | MIL +300 | ATL +600 | STL +1000

It can't be good.

Looks like the only team with longer odds today are the Orioles at +275 to +300 vs Toronto.

Wonder how much LA's odds change if they have to go through the wild card game versus winning the West?

It can't be good.

Wonder how much LA's odds change if they have to go through the wild card game versus winning the West?

[sarcasm]Probably zero since they would have to play the cards.[/sarcasm]

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

LAD has been in the Wild Card spot for the majority of the season & are in the Wild Card spot at the start of play today. Those odds are already operating under the assumption they will be in the Wild Card game.

I'd imagine if the Dodgers win/Giants lose today, then the Dodgers beat the Giants to win the West in Game 163 on Monday that the Dodgers will become even bigger favorites than they already are while the Giants odds will drop below ours & closer to ATL/STL.

With a win today the Brewers would hold World Series home field advantage against every AL team except for the Rays. If the Brewers lose and the Astros win, then the Astros hold the tiebreaker for home field.
Not just “at Night” anymore.