Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-02: Brewers (Burnes) at Dodgers (Urías) [Brewers lose, 8-3]

Eye Black

Apparently I am not. No need to condescend. Heck, you are the one who pointed out that Urias should be the obvious Cy Young winner, even though he isn't in the national conversation for that award whatsoever. Why do you think that is?

Because as you said ... wins are discounted far more nowadays than they were 10 years or more ago ...

Which is 100% true. And which is why Urias will probably get a few down ballot votes, but won't come close to winning the Cy Young. Because as antiquated as baseball is at times, the way stats and numbers are viewed is evolving. There are simply better ways to determine pitching effectiveness and dominance than there used to be.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone would have told me the Packers would crush and cruise in the 2010 Playoffs, I would have told you: No Way. Atlanta on the Road?! Good Luck!

If someone would have told me the Bucks could overcome their previous shortcomings in the recent Playoffs and they could go take Game 7 from Brooklyn? NO Way. Just NO Way. KD is too good and they are in Brooklyn.

Here I sit. And, here I say: I will not not give the Brewers the benefit of the doubt that they, too, can rise to the occasion and find that Magic. They have enough talent. It CAN come together. Players can find another Level.

Or Graham mertz would throw a touchdown pass

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If someone would have told me the Packers would crush and cruise in the 2010 Playoffs, I would have told you: No Way. Atlanta on the Road?! Good Luck!

If someone would have told me the Bucks could overcome their previous shortcomings in the recent Playoffs and they could go take Game 7 from Brooklyn? NO Way. Just NO Way. KD is too good and they are in Brooklyn.

Here I sit. And, here I say: I will not not give the Brewers the benefit of the doubt that they, too, can rise to the occasion and find that Magic. They have enough talent. It CAN come together. Players can find another Level.

Or Graham mertz would throw a touchdown pass

:laughing

Oh man...I saw the score today, and no lie, I was whispering myself: "Remember, you will never overemphasize inaugural performance wizardry in Champaign, Illinois. Never."

Probably an overreaction, but I'm having trouble being optimistic right now. Another loss tomorrow and that will be 6 wins in 25 days by my count before the playoffs start. 3 against a team that was losing 11 of 12 at the time, 2 against a team that were losing 14 of 16 and one against a team that sat nearly everyone after clinching a playoff berth.

Great point!

Not to mention the objective data that says there is zero correlation between how you are playing going into the playoffs and your playoff performance. That study has been posted in several threads. If some folks want to be pessimistic, then do so. State it and move on. No need to continually beat the dead horse that is your personal pessimism.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

A reliever can luck his way into wins far more easily than a starter. Isn't that obvious?

Urias gets like 7 runs of support per start. Buehler does not. You don't think Buehler would have more wins than Urias if that were reverseds? They play for the same team with the same offense. How is that not luck?

If Urias was winning games with a 4.## or 5.## ERA on that run support, then he is lucky.

His ERA is 2.##; therefore, he is not so much lucky as he is very good.

Probably an overreaction, but I'm having trouble being optimistic right now. Another loss tomorrow and that will be 6 wins in 25 days by my count before the playoffs start. 3 against a team that was losing 11 of 12 at the time, 2 against a team that were losing 14 of 16 and one against a team that sat nearly everyone after clinching a playoff berth.

I am with you. I just don't get the sense they are really ready to go. The Williams thing kinda just added extra fuel to that fire. Just an example of where they seem to be at the moment. How does a guy with everything they have worked for suddenly lose it and smash his hand?? Maybe it is not fair but just a loss of focus for a day or two and you are done. Seems like Garcia is out of the lineup every other day. Tellez just got back. Cousins has been out and his first postseason appearance will be with no net. I have a sinking feeling we are going to see JBJ on the roster which would be a shame as he does not deserve it. Just a ton of little things that alarm me about this team right now but still hope to be proven wrong.

If Urias was winning games with a 4.## or 5.## ERA on that run support, then he is lucky.

No one is saying he isn't very good. Just that there are probably 4-5 pitchers who should probably be ahead of him in the Cy Young balloting.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

Apparently I am not. No need to condescend. Heck, you are the one who pointed out that Urias should be the obvious Cy Young winner, even though he isn't in the national conversation for that award whatsoever. Why do you think that is?

Because as you said ... wins are discounted far more nowadays than they were 10 years or more ago ...

Which is 100% true. And which is why Urias will probably get a few down ballot votes, but won't come close to winning the Cy Young. Because as antiquated as baseball is at times, the way stats and numbers are viewed is evolving. There are simply better ways to determine pitching effectiveness and dominance than there used to be.

Round and round we go ... LOL ... I still think that the W-L record of a starter is too-much-discounted nowadays when his other stats might not be quite as good as another guy but they are nearly as good ... think what you wish, but you won't change my mind tonight on that. :)

Round and round we go ... LOL ... I still think that the W-L record of a starter is too-much-discounted nowadays when his other stats might not be quite as good as another guy but they are nearly as good ... think what you wish, but you won't change my mind tonight on that. :)

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

No one is saying he isn't very good. Just that there are probably 4-5 pitchers who should probably be ahead of him in the Cy Young balloting.

Your opinion, not mine ... can you accept that others have different opinions than yours?

I think wins count less today in the Cy Young race than balks per pitches thrown. Only slight exaggeration. I don't think wins matter one iota and I think that's wrong personally. And no I'm not saying in any way that it should be the driving metric in who wins the Cy.

I wasn't really trying to change your mind. Maybe moreso was just trying to realistically explain why he isn't a legit Cy Young candidate. You of course are more than welcome to hold the opposite opinion, though. Heck, I have plenty of baseball opinions that aren't really based in reality, too.

I wasn't really trying to change your mind. Maybe moreso was just trying to realistically explain why he isn't a legit Cy Young candidate. You of course are more than welcome to hold the opposite opinion, though. Heck, I have plenty of baseball opinions that aren't really based in reality, too.

Thank you for not being snide.

Oh come on. Like you weren't in a couple of those posts. Please.

Your opinion, not mine ... can you accept that others have different opinions than yours?

Certainly. I'm not real sure where I was unaccepting on your opinion. My argument was entirely based on how Cy Young voters now value pitchers.

Not trying to be snide. I personally think Avi Garcia should be the NL Comeback Player of the Year. He of course won't win. That doesn't mean that I don't think he deserves it, though. That is an opinion not based in reality. Much like believing that Urias's win total should win him the Cy Young.