Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-02: Brewers (Burnes) at Dodgers (Urías) [Brewers lose, 8-3]

Eye Black

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Brewers appear to be overmatched versus the Cardinals and Dodgers ... will we do well against the improved Braves? I have my doubts ... this team is tailspinning ... CC didn't set goals out there for this team over the last two weeks and the team is sluggish and reeling, in my opinion.

I’ll give Counsell the benefit of the doubt for now, but if any or all of Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta have poor outings against the Braves, I think it’s going to be fair to question whether giving them so little action for two weeks before the playoffs was a good plan.

I actually thought he might have Woodruff and Peralta each throw a couple of innings tomorrow just to give them some real work before their playoff appearances. If Woodruff starts Saturday that will be 12 days after his last appearance. For Peralta it will be more than 2 weeks. Burnes will have had 2 innings in 13 days.

That doesn’t seem ideal to me, but maybe they will be fresh and sharp and not rusty.

I did see Pedro Martinez on mlb network talking about, not brewers specifically, but this type of situation. He was adamant about pitchers should be pitching. Not taking a big break

I’m more conservative and I’m with counsell in giving our power arms a break. But we will see

I will say this though. For the first time I would be disappointed if we don’t win the first series.

Keep in mind all these guys are pretty well above their career high in innings. Every time they pitch, they're pitching a new career high in IP. Saving a few IP for October isn't a terrible idea either.

My guess is that if you are a fan complaining about starter usage in the last week of meaningless regular season baseball games, you don't care about pitch counts or innings limits.

I’ll give Counsell the benefit of the doubt for now, but if any or all of Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta have poor outings against the Braves, I think it’s going to be fair to question whether giving them so little action for two weeks before the playoffs was a good plan.

I actually thought he might have Woodruff and Peralta each throw a couple of innings tomorrow just to give them some real work before their playoff appearances. If Woodruff starts Saturday that will be 12 days after his last appearance. For Peralta it will be more than 2 weeks. Burnes will have had 2 innings in 13 days.

That doesn’t seem ideal to me, but maybe they will be fresh and sharp and not rusty.

I did see Pedro Martinez on mlb network talking about, not brewers specifically, but this type of situation. He was adamant about pitchers should be pitching. Not taking a big break

I’m more conservative and I’m with counsell in giving our power arms a break. But we will see

I will say this though. For the first time I would be disappointed if we don’t win the first series.

Everyone will be disappointed if we don't win the first series but there are many, many reasons for why that would happen. The starters could pitch great and still lose that series.

Edited by 82brewcrew82
but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Whether we can flip the switch on or off, or if the recent past is an indication of the future…who cares. We’ll have our answerin a little less in 2 weeks. So just R E L A X, please! Don’t waste your life on something you can’t do anything about. Edited by sixtolezcano16

If Wins are an Important pitching stat what do wins say of Brett Suter's W/L record versus Woody's?

Based on the argument being given, Suter is the better pitcher.

Devin Williams has 8 wins

Josh Hader has 4 wins.

It takes both to equal the effectiveness of Suter!

Starting pitcher wins are more meaningful as a stat than relief pitcher wins for fairly obvious reasons ... :indifferent :tired

If anyone feels that this team is going to just flip a switch and sweep the Braves next week after basically looking a mess for two weeks I am shocked by that. The brewers have taken the cue from the manager that these games don't matter and they may not as far as playoff seeding goes but man. You would have loved to see them look at this weekend as a chance to play a high level opponent who you need to beat to get where you want to go and play good ball. It may not matter in the end because the Dodgers are better than them but still.

The Brewers appear to be overmatched versus the Cardinals and Dodgers ... will we do well against the improved Braves? I have my doubts ... this team is tailspinning ... CC didn't set goals out there for this team over the last two weeks and the team is sluggish and reeling, in my opinion.

I could see how you could theoretically believe this ... if you don't take previous playoff positioning into account whatsoever.

If anyone feels that this team is going to just flip a switch and sweep the Braves next week after basically looking a mess for two weeks I am shocked by that. The brewers have taken the cue from the manager that these games don't matter and they may not as far as playoff seeding goes but man. You would have loved to see them look at this weekend as a chance to play a high level opponent who you need to beat to get where you want to go and play good ball. It may not matter in the end because the Dodgers are better than them but still.

AMEN!!! :)

It won’t be just CC you are questioning………those kinds of decisions are made by the organization as a whole……if you think CC is doing this without input from Stearns, Arnold, Hook etc…….you haven’t been paying attention to how the brewers operate.

If they pitch bad they pitch bad……it happens……Braves have a great offense.

We can question anything we want……but nobody has anyway of knowing if pitching them more would have made them pitch better or worse next week.

I’ve also heard Counsell say that it’s important for pitchers to get into a routine. It seems strange to deviate dramatically from that routine just before the most important games of the season.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

It won’t be just CC you are questioning………those kinds of decisions are made by the organization as a whole……if you think CC is doing this without input from Stearns, Arnold, Hook etc…….you haven’t been paying attention to how the brewers operate.

If they pitch bad they pitch bad……it happens……Braves have a great offense.

We can question anything we want……but nobody has anyway of knowing if pitching them more would have made them pitch better or worse next week.

I’ve also heard Counsell say that it’s important for pitchers to get into a routine. It seems strange to deviate dramatically from that routine just before the most important games of the season.

Yep!

Starting pitcher wins are more meaningful as a stat than relief pitcher wins for fairly obvious reasons ... :indifferent :tired

Why? I don't think that is close to obvious. The responses you got point out how arbitrary wins can be whether it be a starter or a reliever. Sometimes it's nothing more than a scoring decision. Wins only matter in the team sense.

Oh yeah? Please, elaborate on those reasons. I'd love to hear them.

You are smart. You can figure it out! :laughing

Apparently I am not. No need to condescend. Heck, you are the one who pointed out that Urias should be the obvious Cy Young winner, even though he isn't in the national conversation for that award whatsoever. Why do you think that is?

Why? I don't think that is close to obvious. The responses you got point out how arbitrary wins can be whether it be a starter or a reliever. Sometimes it's nothing more than a scoring decision. Wins only matter in the team sense.

A reliever can luck his way into wins far more easily than a starter. Isn't that obvious?

Apparently I am not. No need to condescend. Heck, you are the one who pointed out that Urias should be the obvious Cy Young winner, even though he isn't in the national conversation for that award whatsoever. Why do you think that is?

Because as you said ... wins are discounted far more nowadays than they were 10 years or more ago ... :) I believe that Urias will be in the conversation for the Cy Young after tonight far more than he was a few weeks ago, too.

Probably an overreaction, but I'm having trouble being optimistic right now. Another loss tomorrow and that will be 6 wins in 25 days by my count before the playoffs start. 3 against a team that was losing 11 of 12 at the time, 2 against a team that were losing 14 of 16 and one against a team that sat nearly everyone after clinching a playoff berth.

A reliever can luck his way into wins far more easily than a starter. Isn't that obvious?

Urias gets like 7 runs of support per start. Buehler does not. You don't think Buehler would have more wins than Urias if that were reverseds? They play for the same team with the same offense. How is that not luck?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

AMEN!!! :)

Guys, I want to first say: I completely respect your opinions. 100%. And, I understand where you're coming from.

BUT, I also want to say: What I am seeing here is you both might be stressed or worried about the recent Brewers performances (perhaps, rightfully so, I can't claim to know if they are worrisome or not - too many variables and the main goal was achieved in winning the Division)...but, I think I can also say off this: The Brewers are not worried about this recent stretch of games and I guarantee you they have a plan in place they've implemented since they won the Division. I also guarantee you this Plan was co-created from on high in the Baseball Ops in collusion with the Coaching staff. This is a good thing. Whether or not they play well in their Home Field advantage for the NLDS? Well, that's up to the players and also Couns. BUT, we're not going to know how that goes until we get there. I encourage you to relax, sit back, and enjoy the ride. This is our FOURTH Playoff journey IN A ROW. FOURTH. That's amazing. As a lifelong Brewers fan since the early 1980, I invite you to join me in the celebration. We have a first class organization that is experiencing success. Will we win the Big One? Maybe. Personally, I think there are better teams throughout the Playoffs BUT this is also a very worthy Brewers ball-club that could also get Hot at just the right time. Who knows? The Bucks just won a Chip, baby! Let's get to the Playoffs. Let's play the meaningful games. And, let's see where the ball lands in our 5 game series. Food for thought.

I don't know if that is necessarily true. The Dodgers are averaging 6 runs a game in Julio Urias starts, which is one of the top marks in the league. Isn't that luck too?

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If someone would have told me the Packers would crush and cruise in the 2010 Playoffs, I would have told you: No Way. Atlanta on the Road?! Good Luck!

If someone would have told me the Bucks could overcome their previous shortcomings in the recent Playoffs and they could go take Game 7 from Brooklyn? NO Way. Just NO Way. KD is too good and they are in Brooklyn.

Here I sit. And, here I say: I will not not give the Brewers the benefit of the doubt that they, too, can rise to the occasion and find that Magic. They have enough talent. It CAN come together. Players can find another Level.