Brewer Fanatic

2021-10-02: Brewers (Burnes) at Dodgers (Urías) [Brewers lose, 8-3]

Eye Black

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Saying this is 'on the Giants' is fairly wild considering they've continued to win close games. Continued to have an extremely solid pitching staff. And, continued to win games while losing their most potent offensive weapon in Belt. If anything, if they lose out, it's because the Dodgers are really really good.

Yes, the Dodgers are really. good. The Brewers, too, are really good. But only one of those teams really has something to play for right now.

The giants would have been better off if the dodgers were playing the cubs or pirates then us this weekend

It’s our prerogative to do what we need to do because we have more important things to worry about. Like roco said. All that matters is that we get through these games as healthy as can be. But as a giants fan I wouldn’t be too happy about the brewers glorified spring training weekend

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm in the Department of "I could care absolutely less about these final Regular Season games." They mean nothing. Our seed is locked in. The only games that matter are against Atlanta. We may perceive the Brewers to be scuffling...and, sure, they are. BUT, they are playing very very good teams and they just don't have anything to play for. Our offense has been entirely 'Up and Down' all season long. The only concern I have entering the post-season is the loss of our set-up man. That was such a huge blow to a suddenly fragile Bullpen. BUT, I also think this can be offset by savvy use of Lauer, Houser, and potentially Anderson. I also think Ashby has the stuff to be given the high-leverage role. Inexperience, be damned. He absolutely has the stuff we need to close out those very close and tight spots - I roll with what happens. We shall see. Just excited for the Regular Season to finish. Don't care who wins the NL West. Don't care if we lose again tomorrow.

Urias is the Cy Young winner in my book ... 20-3 says it all! ERA under 3.00 now ... the guy just won more than anyone else. He outpitched Burnes by a country mile tonight.

Tough luck Woodruff should have a winning record, though!!!!

I personally don't care for punting games in baseball anymore than I do in football when things are clinched going into the last week. However, they still are going to be off for a number of days before the playoffs begin so they'll be kind of rusty regardless of how they are playing out the string.

I personally don't care for punting games in baseball anymore than I do in football when things are clinched going into the last week. However, they still are going to be off for a number of days before the playoffs begin so they'll be kind of rusty regardless of how they are playing out the string.

Good point, but that goes for the other team too then.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Urias is the Cy Young winner in my book ... 20-3 says it all! ERA under 3.00 now ... the guy just won more than anyone else. He outpitched Burnes by a country mile tonight.

He probably would have won it 10 years ago. But not real sure that wins are really all that important of a stat anymore.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

Next week offers no guarantees…….we could have rolled through this week and still stunk it up against the Braves.

So we’ve struggled down the stretch from a combination of poor play, resting key players and pitchers and playing some very hot teams.

Let’s hope we play better against the Braves but if we don’t I still enjoyed the season.

Hard to believe but at present the Braves have hit more homers then the Dodgers……….

Wow. This is wild. I am feeling quite grateful we don't have to face Acuna Jr. as well. In our games against the Braves, they reminded me quite a bit of the White Sox. They have a lot of solid depth. Of course, we played them with a couple of their guys injured. I like our Series match-up and am excited to see how the young Team responds to the Playoffs. All things considered, we have to be overjoyed we get the Braves as a Round One matchup. I would not be thrilled for the WC play-in game and then either the Giants or Dodgers. I'll take our position and run.

He probably would have won it 10 years ago. Butt not real sure that wins are really all that important of a stat anymore.

When wins are not important, we have really gotten away from what is really important.

It is "on the Giants". If they don't want a one game WC game, they have to win more games than the 108 win Dodgers. Simple.

Or they could never lose a game ever. What a bunch of chokers the giants are

Who said anything about choking except you? Why is it the Brewers responsibility to make sure the Giants win their division? If the roles were reversed I'd expect the Giants to be doing the same thing.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

He probably would have won it 10 years ago. Butt not real sure that wins are really all that important of a stat anymore.

When wins are not important, we have really gotten away from what is really important.

If Wins are an Important pitching stat what do wins say of Brett Suter's W/L record versus Woody's? (EDIT to Add: I'm not saying 'Wins' aren't important BUT I personally see pitching Wins just as I see Football Wins. More often than not, when spread out over an entire team and an entire season, the W/L record is itself much more indicative of the Team than it is the individual - ie, QB or SP)

Edited by Julio Muchacho

Suter is tied for 11th in the NL in wins. It isn't a completely meaningless stat, but there are objectively better stats out there now for measuring pitching effectiveness.

How about this……The Dodgers just finished sweeping the Padres……so if the Giants win 2 out of 3 vs the same team they will win the West……..if they don’t t they will have to play a tiebreaker……..if they lose it won’t be anyones fault……just that the Dodgers……a team with the highest payroll and best odds to win the World Series finally reeled them in…….

Somebody has to lose

I’ll give Counsell the benefit of the doubt for now, but if any or all of Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta have poor outings against the Braves, I think it’s going to be fair to question whether giving them so little action for two weeks before the playoffs was a good plan.

I actually thought he might have Woodruff and Peralta each throw a couple of innings tomorrow just to give them some real work before their playoff appearances. If Woodruff starts Saturday that will be 12 days after his last appearance. For Peralta it will be more than 2 weeks. Burnes will have had 2 innings in 13 days.

That doesn’t seem ideal to me, but maybe they will be fresh and sharp and not rusty.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I’ll give Counsell the benefit of the doubt for now, but if any or all of Burnes, Woodruff, and Peralta have poor outings against the Braves, I think it’s going to be fair to question whether giving them so little action for two weeks before the playoffs was a good plan.

I actually thought he might have Woodruff and Peralta each throw a couple of innings tomorrow just to give them some real work before their playoff appearances. If Woodruff starts Saturday that will be 12 days after his last appearance. For Peralta it will be more than 2 weeks. Burnes will have had 2 innings in 13 days.

That doesn’t seem ideal to me, but maybe they will be fresh and sharp and not rusty.

I know it's a not a plan I would have adhered to. I would agree with giving Woodruff and Peralta a couple of innings, 30 pitches something like that. It does set Counsell up for a lot of heat if it doesn't work out.

I know it's a not a plan I would have adhered to. I would agree with giving Woodruff and Peralta a couple of innings, 30 pitches something like that. It does set Counsell up for a lot of heat if it doesn't work out.

Considering how the Crew started the season? I'm going to take all that heat off of Counsell personally. I'm going to take it...and I'm going to heat my house with it if it happens.

It won’t be just CC you are questioning………those kinds of decisions are made by the organization as a whole……if you think CC is doing this without input from Stearns, Arnold, Hook etc…….you haven’t been paying attention to how the brewers operate.

If they pitch bad they pitch bad……it happens……Braves have a great offense.

We can question anything we want……but nobody has anyway of knowing if pitching them more would have made them pitch better or worse next week.