Brewer Fanatic

6/8/06 recap of game

brewerjamie15

I must say I'm flattered to be considered a power hitter, but I really dont think of myself as one. My SLG is pretty high right now, but I only have the one extra base hit, and the SLG is more a product of the high OBP I'm carrying right now.

As far as the outfield, I think we just need to be more observant of positioning. Make sure we're deep for the power hitters and shallow for the weaker hitters (it will take a trip through the lineup to figure out who's who).

In terms of the lineup, I like the idea of alternating singles/power, but we don't necessarially need to be S1/P1, S2/P2. It could be varied each game with the same principal in mind (the best singles/power hitter not necessiarially first).

I think when evaluating power hitters we should go by extra base hits or total bases. Like bball said a high batting average is going to give someone a high slg %. I don't think we can really use stats for that even this early. We only have around 10 ABs per person. I think we should wait a couple weeks before we make any dramatic changes.

I agree with BB in that I (robin) am a OBP guy and not a SLG guy. My career SLG is only .066 above my OBP.

I am a third baseman, Razzor, so if you ever want an inning off or an inning at another spot, just let me know.

And we are 30% of the way through the season. I think it's a good size sample. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Sometime next week I'll crunch our opponents' stats to use as a benchmark.

I updated the stat page. We've played one stronger team, an even team and a weaker team. Our OBP and FA are similar. One thing that stands out is our 18 K(!), and we're behind in XBH 20-9. We also to seem to hit more grounders - is that cause for concern?

The topic of sample sizes - only the elite play at the MLB level, dozens/hundreds of PA are neccessary to seperate the wheat from the chaff. At our level, the difference in talent is spread out enough that the cream will rise to the top after just a few games.

Do we hit abnormally high GB outs, or just GBs in general. If our ratio of GBhits/GBouts is the same as other teams, I don't see this as much of a problem. A lot of teams have players that can hit bombs, so a lot of teams swing for the fences.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

[At our level, the difference in talent is spread out enough that the cream will rise to the top after just a few games.]

Bah...all of y'all are cream. You are from brewerfan.net. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was thinking of bringing some snacks and coffee to this week's game. Any objections/requests? I could only wish that I had hawing's chex mix skills...but I do make a snazzy chocolate banana swirl bread.

Archived