Brewer Fanatic

6/8/06 recap of game

brewerjamie15

I was 0-3. I think I grounded to short each and every time. We had some defensive issues, some of us had a tough day at the plate (especially me) we got crushed.

I have to apologize for going off a bit and complaining, it's supposed to be a fun league. I got into a tizzy and it showed.

I'd still like to see if we can have an informal type practice this weekend if enough players are interested, if not, I understand entirely. Sunday morning sometime? 11am?

I'm thinking about switching some things around just for change's sake. Our batting order needs some adjustments, and our late game defensive alignment needs a tune-up.

I'd like to ask all of you to take a moment and ask yourself where you best help the team. Most of the positions are pretty solid, but if you want to play or feel you are stronger somewhere else please post it here, or contact me or Jimbo via inbox.

I think I'm fine at 2nd base, no errors yet, but I do need to adjust my hitting somehow.

One thing I can't figure out is this: In practice, I hit ok. I get the ball to the outfield and even hit for what could be a few doubles. In games, I ground to short. It's happened frequently. Maybe I"m going to early and getting on top of the ball?

I have one idea I'd like to try out. At the next practice, I hope that we can watch eachother and try to point out some helpfull tips. If a guy is not stepping into the ball, poor fielding, etc. I for one need someone to smack me around a bit and let me know what is wrong at the plate. I really could help out the team more offensively and I will, I just have to correct something(s).

One thing I saw today and was told by other players, our outfield did not charge in on base hits as much as they should have. Cut off's need to be as good as they are in practice, and today we looked pretty listless and totally flat. I don't mind losing if we get beat by the other team, but we got beat by the other team and ourselves today.

I'm proud of the team, and all you guys are great. My wife attended today for the first time and she said that the other team was pretty mouthy and cocky during the game. I was told we did not display that attitude and that we looked like a team of guys that like being on the team and conduct ourselves sith pride and maturity.

Other teams will talk, especially that little 4 foot nothing guy with his socks jacked up to his neck, that should not bug us. Let's make them pay with our play like we are capable of doing.

Next week will be totally different, we won't fall apart like that again. We're a good team and we will win some ball games. If we don't win, it'll have to be because other teams beat us. We won't beat ourselves again.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I can't practice Sunday. I work 6 am till 2pm.

I can play anywhere in the diamond, but I'm better at IF. I'm about 50 lbs overweight so running around the OF leaves me exhausted while running the bases.

Except for the OFers running up on base hits, I think our defence is fine. With the field we play on, bad hops will happen a lot and balls will get away from you. You have to expect errors in this league and field. I think our problem was that we all went cold for the same game and only had 7 base hits in 7 innings.

Jamie, I think it's just a cold streak for you. You're pressing too much because you are the "table setter" at the top of the lineup and you're putting too much pressure on yourself. I've gone through cold streaks before. I was in the middle of a cold streak for our first game when I went 0-3 (it was the middle of a 0-11 streak for me). Just relax when you go up there. You're kind of over swinging during the games. Swing at the first pitch you can reach, don't worry about getting a strike first. Then you have to swing defensively. And don't swing hard at the ball, just swing nice and easy and put it in play. This is what I do when in a cold streak. You're the leadoff man, we want a nice easy basehit not a homer.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Count me in for Sunday, as practice never hurts.

As far as where I fit on the team, I definately feel that 1st is a great fit. I'm a pretty big target, and I feel very comfortable there (I've played there basically since I was 10). That said, I would definately be willing to give left or right field a try if it will help the team.

On the offensive side, I feel like I'm a really good singles hitter, with occasional bursts of power. I wish I could have gotten under the ball more today, as I really wanted to punish that rover guy, but to no avail.

I'm a pretty competitive guy, and tonight was definately frustrating. But this team was very solid defensively, and pretty quick all the way around. I can't remember them making an error (other than when that bomb was hit over the rover). Most of our "hits" from games past were outs tonight, thanks to their 3b/ss.

Brian and I will be there Sunday. I can help hit a few balls, as my back allows.

Jamie...are you going? If so, would you please ask Mary and Rachel if they would like to come with and help me take advantage of the nice pool in the park? I have Rachel's b-day gift, too.

Frustration probably being a keyword here, I guess I got pretty wound up from that game. I'm mellowed out now and I appreciate the points about pressing at the plate. I think I'm going to go hit up the ol' batting cage for a little bit and just relax.

I hope it doesn't seem as if I want to revamp the whole team or anything, I just want to make sure that you are all comfortable with your defensive position and spot in the order.

Thanks.

Jamie

One thing I saw today and was told by other players, our outfield did not charge in on base hits as much as they should have

the tricky part about those is that you don't want the ball to get by you. charging full speed ahead and cleanly picking a line-drive basehit on that outfield surface is easier said than done (at least for me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif ). i stayed back on a few hits, but it was only because i had let a ball get by me in the first inning, and i didn't want to let it happen again. i wanted to keep it in front of me and play it cleanly.

however, if the team would like to see the OFers charge more basehits, i'll do my best.

maybe you two can platoon LF. I think that would be great.You both have some good wheels and nice arms for LF. Is that cool?

I'll be there for Sunday if we get enough interest. I'll bring Mary and Rachel.How about kids show up for a little swiming?

Oh. Thought you caught at least one ball. You field .000 and you want to start in our outfield? No way man!

LOL http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm feeling better now. I can joke around not only about the team, but my less than stellar performance tonight. I'll get better, my averagewill go back up, and I'll help the team. We all will. No, I have not been drinking.

Sorry, guys.. Head and heart just weren't in it for me tonight. Two Ks.. blah. Might have helped to get a couple swings in before the game -- maybe we can make a point of that next week, getting everyone like 5-10 swings in BP or something, if that's even possible. Anyways, I'm not sure it would have helped anyways -- just a thought.

I'll probably be up for practice whenever on Sunday. I suppose earlier (10-11) is a little nicer than later.. leaves a bit more of the day in front of us... but it doesn't matter too much to me.

Verified Member

I usually play a little deep in left centerfield because I feel more comfortable charging in on fly balls and because I don't want anything going over my head for extra bases.

I honestly felt like I was hustling and sprinting throughout the game either to get to catch the ball, field the ball, or to back up the other outfielders. But if someone feels there is room for improvement in terms of charging towards a ball on the ground, let me know.

I am open to suggestions.

Sorry for the dupe thread, I kinda considered this a 'venting' thread. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Anna's 16, Brewerfan.net 2

Awesome action photos here.

Box

Stats

Feel free to help update the roster.

I know it was a tough game, but once again feel free to make corrections for accuarcy purposes (ie our pitching change).

1st Inning - Top

*Dude #1 singled.

*Dude #2 walked, Dude #1 to second.

*Dude #3 singled, Dude #1 to third, Dude #2 to second. On DougJones43's fielding error, Dude #1 scored, Dude #2 scored, Dude #3 to third.

*Dude #4 flied out to DougJones43. On DougJones43's throwing error, Dude #3 scored.

*Dude #5 struck out (foul).

*Dude #6 grounded out, razzzorsharp to Bball123h.

3 R, 2 H, 2 E. A 3, BF 0

1st Inning - Bottom

*Brewerjamie15 grounded out, shortstop to firstbaseman.

*Houlie24X popped out to thirdbaseman.

*razzzorsharp singled.

*AJAY lined out to rightfield.

0 R, 1 H, 0 E. A 3, BF 0

2nd Inning - Top

*Dude #7 grounded out, razzzorsharp to Bball123h.

*Dude #8 flied out to valpocrewsader.

*Dude #9 singled.

*Dude #10 grounded out, valpocrewsader to Brewerjamie15.

0 R, 1 H, 0 E. A 3, BF 0

2nd Inning - Bottom

*Brewer Fever grounded out, thirdbaseman to firstbaseman.

*DougJones43 popped out to shortstop.

*valpocrewsader tripled. Om rightfielder's throwing error, valpocrewsader scored.

*Bball123h singled.

*nullbyte struck out (foul).

1 R, 2 H, 1 E. A 3, BF 1

3rd Inning - Top

*Dude #11 grounded out, valpocrewsader to Babll123h.

*Dude #1 popped out to valpocrewsader.

*Dude #2 flied out to DougJones43.

0 R, 0 H, 0 E. A 3, BF 1

3rd Inning - Bottom

*Robin19 singled.

*radman12484 struck out (foul).

*AJOHNSON104 grouned into fielder's choice, shortstop to secondbaseman, Robin19 out.

*Iron Chef Napalm struck out (swing).

0 R, 1 H, 0 E. A 3, BF 1

4th Inning - Top

*Dude #3 homered.

*Dude #4 tripled.

*Dude #5 sacrifice flied to DougJones43, Dude #4 scored.

*Dude #6 doubled.

*Dude #7 lined out to razzzorsharp.

*Dude #8 struck out (foul).

2 R, 3 H, 0 E. A 5, BF 1

4th Inning - Bottom

Anna's Pitcher #2.

*Jimbo flied out to leftfield.

*Brewerjamie15 flied out to rover.

*Houlie24X homered.

*razzzorsharp grounded out, secondbaseman to firstbaseman.

1 R, 1 H, 0 E. A 5, BF 2

5th Inning - Top

Defensive substitutions:

Iron Chef Napalm at firstbase for Bball123h.

Robin19 at secondbase for Brewerjamie15.

AJOHNSON104 in right-centerfield for Houlie24X.

Jimbo in rightfield for nullbyte.

*Dude #9 singled.

*Dude #10 grounded into fielder's choice, valpocrewsader to Robin19, Dude #9 out. On Robin19's throwing error, Dude #10 to second.

*Dude #11 popped out to razzzorsharp.

*Dude #1 tripled, Dude #10 scored.

*Dude #2 popped out to Brewer Fever.

1 R, 2 H, 0 E. A 6, BF 2

5th Inning - Bottom

*AJAY flied out to leftfield.

*Brewer Fever grounded out, pitcher to firstbaseman.

*DougJones43 struck out (foul).

0 R, 0 H, 0 E. A 6, BF 2

6th Inning - Top

*Dude #3 walked.

*Dude #4 flied out to AJAY.

*Dude #5 doubled, Dude #3 to third. Jimbo to Robin19 to radman12484 to Brewer Fever to valpocrewsader, Dude #5 out, Dude #3 scored.

*Dude #6 walked.

*Dude #7 walked, Dude #6 to second.

*Dude #8 doubled, Dude #6 scored, Dude #7 scored. On the throw, Dude #8 to third.

*Dude #9 flied out to DougJones43.

3 R, 2 H, 0 E. A 9, BF 2

6th Inning - Bottom

*valpocrewsader grounded out, thirdbaseman to firstbaseman.

*Bball123h infield singled.

*nullbyte struck out (swing).

*Robin19 flied out to centerfield.

0 R, 1 H, 0 E. A 9, BF 2

7th Inning - Top

*Dude #10 singled.

*Dude #11 flied out to AJAY.

*Dude #1 doubled, Dude #10 scored.

*Dude #2 doubled, Dude #1 scored.

Defensive changes:

razzzorsharp to pitcher, Brewer Fever to thirdbase.

*Dude #3 doubled, Dude #2 scored.

*Dude #4 homered, Dude #3 scored.

*Dude #5 doubled.

*Dude #6 doubled, Dude #5 scored.

*Dude #7 grounded out, Robin19 to Iron Chef Napalm, Dude #6 to third.

*Dude #8 singled, Dude #6 scored.

*Dude #9 struck out (foul).

7 R, 8 H, 0 E. A 16, BF 2

7th Inning - Bottom

*radman12484 walked.

*AJOHNSON104 popped out to secondbaseman.

*Iron Chef Napalm struck out (swing).

*Jimbo singled, radman12484 to second.

*Brewerjamie15 grounded out, shortstop to thirdbaseman.

0 R, 1 H, 0 E. A 16, BF 2

First, the good:

Our power guys kept it going tonight: Houlie, valpo, Bball wi th a multi-hit game.

Keep in mind guys we retired 9 out of 10 at one point. The score after 3 was 3-1.

the bad:

Jamie discussed in the other recap thread.

My scouting report. IIRC, last night two flies to center, a fly and a grounder to the right side. So kinda close there. But sure don't remember them hitting more than three deep balls the first game.

the ugly:

Anyone aware we had one AB with RISP - when Jamie grounded out to end the game.

Also, a 40-year-old man is tied for second on the team in BA.

I had wanted to reshoot the team photo this week (better lighting), but after the game the thought totally slipped my mind. We were in no mood for a shoot, anyhow.

Analysis of myself...

Batting:

So far this year I am hitting .500 and getting on base 57% of the time, which is all well and good but not for the 3 hole hitter. My 1 RBI says something about the power I have possessed thus far. I am more than open to moving down in the lineup and putting a hitter with more pop in that three spot. Put Houlie, BBall, or Robin there and I think you are going to get better production there. It seems this year that the power isn't there for me yet so I am opting to go to right field where I really only have singles power instead of trying to knock it out and flying out to left. Like I said, drop me down, it won't hurt my feelings to much.

Fielding:

Well the percentage shows that I am not doing as well as I would like (.867) but I think I am improving. Like I said prior I have never played infield yet alone third prior, usually left field, but I am starting to adjust. Both errors I have committed have been throwing errors that were just off the mark because I rushed the throws. I hope to get more time at 3rd but if I get pulled I can handle it, I am a big boy. As far as pitching goes it is what it is. I have never done it before and you saw what you get from me. I seemed to hit the zone, maybe too much with 4 ER in 2/3 of an inning, so I guess in a pinch I could do it but I would prefer not too.

That's it. We are 1-2 and could easily be 2-1 and we aren't playing too bad. The thing is we are not a good softball hitting team. We need to be able to hit line drives and go station to station because it seems we rely on the walks too much and rest assured, we won't get them from good teams. We need to take what the defense gives us, if they have a rover make them pay like Houlie did by going over them or hitting the corners of left and right (like Robin does a lot of the time). One player I am impressed with is Jimbo, you're hitting has really improved since the first practice. It seems that you are putting the ball where you want too, whether it's between the 2nd and SS or over there heads and that's what we need to do. Also, BBall123 did a great job at firs,t not to take anything away from Iron Chef, making a great play on one of my throws.

END RANT

Quote:
Id like to play a position where I can actually get the ball. I have touched the ball a total of one time and that was a bomb over my head.

Two games at right-center? Now that I think of it, I can't remember much of any pop flies or base hits going to RC. Feels like LL is getting about 50% of the action, LC is getting about 27.5%, and RR is getting 22.5%. RR has gotten a surprising amount of work.

Small sample size? Or can we expect RC to remain virutally devoid of balls all year long?

I'll throw my support behind having Houlie play at least 4 innings in LL next week.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Some random thoughts:

It was good to get someone else in there to pitch at the end, but I hope to have razzzorsharp next to me at 3B whenever possible. He deserves a lot of credit for playing outstanding 3B this year ... seems to get better every game, too. After Fever's no longer able to pitch for us, I'd like to see Jamie, Robin, or Al step in as pitcher. Just my 2 cents. Really, the pitching situation following Fever's departure could use its own separate thread.

Late in the game, I got frustrated that we weren't (and haven't been all year) sticking to our cut-off plan from practice. From what I remember, our goal was...

- OFs assume all throws go to the cut-off

- the pitcher (and only the pitcher) shouts out the base the cut-off man should throw to *as the cut-off man is receiving the throw*

- however, if the pitcher shouts out the base as the OF is catching the ball or picking it up, the OF skips the cut-off and throws to the base

...that said, a lot of plans that sound nice on paper end up being not very practical in application. Is this one of them? Just thought I'd mention it. It seemed like there were a lot of balls this game that were sloppily thrown into the infield and bounced around rather than going glove-to-glove. I thought it made us look confused.

As far as the outfield charging balls, I agree that that outfield surface is terrible. So I don't think anyone expects charging in on the hard rips to the outfield. (And on those hits, charging probably isn't needed.) I think Jamie was saying that the bloopers and slow rollers out there need to be tracked down as quickly as possible, to keep runners from trying for an extra base, which can lead to rushed/errant throws.

When considering rotations and positions for players, don't forget that nullbyte is a good candidate for 2B. He practiced there a lot before the season, but hasn't played there yet in a game. Anyone who was at our most recent practice (May 27th?) when we devoted a ton of time to fielding drills can vouch that he was handling 2B very, very well.

Kenny mentioned that he was open to playing elsewhere. I just want to say that I think he's a perfect 1B guy, so I hope he gets at least 3 or 4 innings a game there. Zach has been doing a very good job when he's stepped in, too. (One critique, can you position yourself a step closer to the bag? On that hard grounder in the 6th or 7th, I looked up and you were a couple steps from first ... a better fielder than me might he able to just throw to a spot, but I felt I needed to hold back a little until you got set up. Not saying that that's why the runner was safe, it was probably my noodle arm, lol.)

My apologies to the team for my poor body language and for not showing enough support for the team late in the game. That's not constructive at all. I lost perspective ... and felt bad/ashamed when I thought about it later.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

i agree with valpo's assessment of sloppy cut-offs, and i'm largely to blame for that. we need to make certain though that if a throw needs to be made on a baserunner from the outfield, that the pitcher loudly yells out what base to throw to ("TWO TWO TWO" or "HOME HOME HOME").

if i'm concentrating on catching a fly ball or picking up a basehit, i can't see what's happening on the base paths. there has been a few instances where i caught a ball, and didn't hear anything, and had no idea where to throw it. from now on though, i'll assume that if i don't hear anything that i'll just immidiately throw to the cut-off. i wasn't really aware that's how we were doing it until matt just posted it.

keep the suggestions coming. i'd like to improve my defense as much as possible.

Verified Member

I would like to see the outfielders get at least some flexibility to use their own judgment as to whether hitting the cutoff man is the best option or whether they should directly try to gun down a runner at one of the bases. There are times when I know if I throw it to the cutoff man, he will not have time to turn around and fire a relay throw in time.

Sometimes the cutoff man is also very close to the outfielder and it makes sense to just go ahead and throw it directly to second, third, or home.

I can't speak for everyone, but I feel pretty confident in my ability to fire off a good throw to any of the bases or home if necessary. Maybe that is why I prefer some flexibility to use my own judgment.

I was going to wait until the All-Star break to post this thought, but since the team is in brainstorm mode, here it goes.

Power Hitters: (ranked by SLG)

1. valpocrewsader

2. Houlie24X

3. Bball123h

4. Robin19

5. DougJones43

6. AJAY

Singles Hitters: (ranked by OBP)

1. Jimbo

2. razzzorsharp

3. nullbyte

4. Brewer Fever

5. Brewerjamie15

6. radman

7. colbyjack

8. AJOHNSON104

9. ICN

10. Brian (I know, robbed of 2 hits by the umps)

Do we do a line up of:

S1-P2-S2-P1-S3-P3-S4-P4-S5-P5-S6-P6-S7-S8-S9-S10 ????

Sometime next week I'll crunch our opponents' stats to use as a benchmark.

Quote:
Singles Hitters: (ranked by OBP)

1. Jimbo

2. razzzorsharp

3. nullbyte

4. Brewer Fever

5. Brewerjamie15

6. radman

7. colbyjack

8. AJOHNSON104

9. ICN

10. Brian (I know, robbed of 2 hits by the umps)

OBP ranks? Hmm, looking at the stats, it looks more like:

1. bball .750

2. Jimbo .625

3. Robin .625

4. razzzorsharp .556

5. valpocrewsader .556

6. Ajay .500

7. Houlie .500

8. nullbyte .500

9. Fever .444

10. DougJones .444

What am I missing?

EDIT: Ah, I just noticed that names in your SLG list are omitted from your OBP list.

I'm glad to see we can discuss things here calmly. I've seen some solid suggestions. I think that cutoffs are improtant to address but so is gunning down a runner directly if possible. We have some pretty strong arms out in the outfield I for one don't think I could make as strong of throws as some of the guys.

I feel pretty good at second base right now, I am pretty solid over there and Matt and I gel pretty well in the middle of the infield.

Outfielders do get nasty hops and risk ankle injury from that crater laced surface, so a bit of tepidation is totally understandable.

It may very well be worth examining the positioning of our outfielders; maybe take up a spot you normally would, then move back 5 steps. This will help cut down on balls over your head and it's always easier to move in on a ball rather than out on one.

I'd also like to say that I was a bit premature with my thinking we out to revamp the whole batting order, it may very well be best to wait another game or two. Some of our defensive positioning may very well be adjustable now though, and I'd really like to get either myself or someone else in at pitcher at some point in the game because Josh is leaving soon.

Three games is a pretty short time to to make batting order adjustments, and I know that we will all improve or level out at the plate. I would suggest however that S1-P1-S2-P2 and so on is not a good idea. I'd lke to see a more random batting order posted and perhaps take a team vote on a different batting order each game? This will even out the # of at bats for each and every player and not have someone 15 AB's ahead of someone else when both players attended the same # of games.

Just my $.02-

Archived