Brewer Fanatic

Game 4: Steelers @ Packers - Sunday, Oct 3rd 3:25PM

homer

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't question the punt from the 40. I wouldn't have been mad if they had gone for it either. Punting and then holding the Stillers gave them decent field position, and here we are. Good drive. Now the defense needs to hold serve.

I am still always assuming the defense will allow TDs from anywhere on the field.

Going to take a while for that perception to change.

I don't understand the enforcement of the holding penalty on the punt. Returner caught it at GB 46, advanced about 11 yards to the PIT 45. Was supposed to be 10 yard penalty from the end of the run, but the ball was spotted at the GB 36.

If the ref said "end of the run", it should have been "from the spot of the foul"

The hold occurred much further ahead of the ball carrier, shortly past the line of scrimmage when the gunner was being held just after the play got started, so assessing the penalty from the spot of the foul wouldn't be appropriate.

EDIT: I should say, not just ahead of the ball carrier, but ahead of where the play ended.

Edited by valpocrewsader
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I didn't question the punt from the 40. I wouldn't have been mad if they had gone for it either. Punting and then holding the Stillers gave them decent field position, and here we are. Good drive. Now the defense needs to hold serve.

I am still always assuming the defense will allow TDs from anywhere on the field.

Going to take a while for that perception to change.

I mean, IMO this defense sucks, and they need to play well for multiple games in a row to change my mind. But...... they got a good punt, got a stop and got good field position. It's easy to say "I liked the call" in hindsight, but if you're going to give up the ball, make them travel a bit further. I didn't like 4th and 9, so I didn't mind the punt.

I guess when the penalty can't be assessed from the spot of the foul like that, it's logical that it would be assessed from where the returner fielded the punt since the entire return could have benefited from the hold. Ref must have just slipped up on the announcement.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Nice to see Cobb contributing. Looks like he really does still have some gas in the tank.

Force enough balls that way and bingo, the move looks great. Only half kidding on this.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nice to see Cobb contributing. Looks like he really does still have some gas in the tank.

Cobb was never a burner, so ... I can see him being effective. His biggest problem was staying healthy and staying on the field. If he can play effectively as a slot possession guy, I (honestly) have no problem with him playing that role in the offense. They've REALLY lacked a slot guy the last few years (DESPITE HAVING THE TOP RANKED OFFENSE LAST YEAR)

Unless the o-line jumps, I’m pretty sure you are allowed to get back. First one, he got back and on the second one, Smith timed it very well and the ball was clearly snapped before he crossed the line.

Like I said, just need somewhere to complain about it since I’m watching the game with my 7 month old and she don’t care about what I’m saying.

Do they not allow you to get back anymore?

If you jump, and the offense moves, that's technically an offsides, I think. It doesn't result in a dead-ball. Again, I think so. Not 100% sure.

That’s what I always thought. I couldn’t tell on the second one but the first sure looked like he was back onside before the ball was snapped. It didn’t matter as that was the TD though.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.