Brewer Fanatic

2021-09-30: Brewers (Anderson) at Cardinals (Happ) [Brewers lose, 4-3]

Eye Black

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brett Anderson vs. J.A. Happ is a pretty gross pitching matchup all around. They are very similar pitchers at this point in their respective careers.

The difference, of course, is that Anderson is very unlikely to even make the playoff roster for the Brewers, while Happ would likely start Game 2 or 3 of the NLDS, should the Cardinals advance that far (assuming Wainwright starts the Wild Card game).

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

It would still be nice to get to that 97 wins, 2 more is all it takes. Anderson pitching lessons the chance of that happening.

I understand why Anderson is starting, I just don't want to watch it.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maybe Keston is still a potential option for the playoff roster as a bat off the bench.

This was my thought as well. And by potential option I mean something like 5-10% shot, but may as well see if he can make it a tougher decision in games that don't matter.

It honestly may simply be a way for the Brewers to do Keston a favor and have him accompany the team out to Los Angeles so his mom can see him play.

But I suppose we have four games that don't matter in the slightest, so why not?

These games could matter in one possible scenario.

We are currently 3 games behind the Rays and 3 games ahead of the Astros in the standings. If we were to reach the World Series, home field is determined by the team with the better record. So flip-flopping in the standings with either team would change home field in the World Series should we match up with them.

So - given the 3-game gap between our teams with 4 to play - I would argue that these games do, in fact, matter in the slightest.

Of course, no...I'm not suggesting Counsell and the staff treat them any differently than we currently are. Just pointing that out.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Maybe Keston is still a potential option for the playoff roster as a bat off the bench.

This was my thought as well. And by potential option I mean something like 5-10% shot, but may as well see if he can make it a tougher decision in games that don't matter.

It honestly may simply be a way for the Brewers to do Keston a favor and have him accompany the team out to Los Angeles so his mom can see him play.

Quite likely. And great news on that front:

Adam McCalvy

@AdamMcCalvy

The very best news from Keston Hiura this morning: His mom is officially in remission. He is hoping she can be at Dodger Stadium this weekend.

Keston might actually be a sleeper to make the NLDS roster considering they won't need to carry as many pitchers. He's been hitting well the past week or so in AAA so who knows, if he comes up and hits well I could see him making it as a bench bat to be used as a pinch hitter in the earlier innings.