Brewer Fanatic

Devin Williams to IL with hand injury

Eye Black

I don't care how good his air bender is. He selfishly put himself above the team. I don't think he should ever wear a Brewer uniform again.

Braun selfishly put himself before the team & still wore a Brewers uniform for like nine years after that. I don't think Stearns & company will take a one strike & yer out approach with Devin.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People do selfish acts all the time. It is a part of human nature. Him learning from this mistake is also a part of that process. I'm always amazed at those that believe that they are above mistakes in life. He is a human being that happens to be good at throwing a ball. Hopefully, this mistake allows him to understand how truly selfish this was and he corrects himself moving forward.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The difference is you just listed a bunch of guys.Williams might be the second-best relief pitcher in the league behind Hader. It's going to take a haul to get him from us and teams just don't seem to be doing that right now. The Williams-Hader combo with the rotation we have is a playoff team that can win a WS. I think Stearns knows this and values this. It will take being blown away, even with this mistake, to move on from Williams.

Williams is the 2nd biggest strike out relief pitcher in the NL, but only those with rose colored glasses would say that he could be the 2nd best relief pitcher in the NL.

The Dodgers alone have three bullpen arms (Trienen, Bickford, Joe Kelly) with better WHIPs than Williams and have allowed fewer inherited runners to score. Genesis Cabrera doesn't have the FIP of Williams but (2.81 to 3.15) but he's pitched more multiple inning outings than Williams (23 to 0) and has pitched more on zero days of rest (18 to 13).

Williams is productive and cost controlled no doubt about that, but he's a relief pitcher. Nobody on the outside knows the degree of anger or frustration the owner and/or front office have with Williams. It is the level of that anger and frustration that will determine if he is on the team next year. MLB Is littered with players who angered their organization and were subsequently dealt.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Williams' FIP at the end of April was 7.30. Since then it's 1.83
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Williams has already underwent one Tommy John Surgery (2017), missed the 2020 postseason with shoulder issues, had elbow discomfort again earlier this year, and now broke his hand punching a wall.

When he's healthy, he's an extremely good reliever - but his biggest problem has been staying healthy, and that has more to do than his dumb actions with the broken hand.

Who knows - if they wind up winning it all without him contributing, their pitching depth could easily lead to Williams being dealt this offseason or next year at the start of his arbitration process after he's hopefully proven to be the same pitcher following a fully healed broken hand.

It's not like Grisham was automatically on the trading block after the 2019 season, and look how that turned out.

Depending on the severity of the break, and recovery time, his value could have dropped immensely.

The hand is a delicate thing when it comes to multiple bones being present.

There is no way to know if he will ever be effective again until he actually is recovered and throwing.

not sure any team would over pay for him now, until he has proven himself again.

If it was a minor break, everything will probably be ok, if it was severe, all bets are off until he throws again.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Depending on the severity of the break, and recovery time, his value could have dropped immensely.

The hand is a delicate thing when it comes to multiple bones being present.

There is no way to know if he will ever be effective again until he actually is recovered and throwing.

not sure any team would over pay for him now, until he has proven himself again.

If it was a minor break, everything will probably be ok, if it was severe, all bets are off until he throws again.

True and he puts a tremendous amount of torque on his hand/wrist with that air bender.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I wrote one of those posts. It's not a blase attitude. It's just that it happened, but dwelling on it can only make things worse. What exactly do you want to happen now? What would "cut it?"

At a minimum I want him sent to Arizona to rehab his hand. Away from this team. He does not deserve to hang out with the guys who are trying to deliver a World Series win for this team. If I was the GM I'd like to trade the guy, but I recognize potential buyers need to see how his surgery comes out before anyone would be willing to pay top dollar in a trade. Maybe by then I'd be less incensed and take the guy back at Spring Training and move forward.

But we should not let this guy off the hook. His rash and stupid actions have seriously hurt the team at its most dire point of need. Just saying "oh well" is completely unacceptable.

Totally disagree. He has been an important part of the team, presumably with friendships in the bullpen and throughout the roster. He's a grown adult who was dragged before the cameras by Stearns to explain his injury. He was contrite and humiliated.

He should be there to cheer on his teammates, and to serve as a daily reminder to them about self care.

It stinks that he injured himself, but sending him to time out does nothing to support the 26 guys who will be competing.

He'd also be a daily reminder - if they struggle in late innings - of what could have been. He should be in a press box, away from the team or at home. Less distraction, less chance for animosity. I guarantee there are multiple guys on the team that can't stand the sight of him right now.

“If you judge any person by their worst moment, we aren't going to like what we see in any of us,” - David Stearns

I think his teammates will be more understanding and forgiving of his mistake than fans of the team. Live and learn.

“Show us that million-dollar arm, because I got a good idea about that five-cent head of yours”

To me, you send him home for the playoffs. If you want to be petty, don't give him a playoff share. If you want to use his character as a reason to trade him, other teams are going to lowball the team with offers - it not like this is something only the Brewers know about. So I think everyone just cools off over the winter and hopes he's good next spring.

Or, Gus the "stray" dog appears at the stadium to rally the team through the playoffs. :)

At a minimum I want him sent to Arizona to rehab his hand. Away from this team. He does not deserve to hang out with the guys who are trying to deliver a World Series win for this team. If I was the GM I'd like to trade the guy, but I recognize potential buyers need to see how his surgery comes out before anyone would be willing to pay top dollar in a trade. Maybe by then I'd be less incensed and take the guy back at Spring Training and move forward.

But we should not let this guy off the hook. His rash and stupid actions have seriously hurt the team at its most dire point of need. Just saying "oh well" is completely unacceptable.

Totally disagree. He has been an important part of the team, presumably with friendships in the bullpen and throughout the roster. He's a grown adult who was dragged before the cameras by Stearns to explain his injury. He was contrite and humiliated.

He should be there to cheer on his teammates, and to serve as a daily reminder to them about self care.

It stinks that he injured himself, but sending him to time out does nothing to support the 26 guys who will be competing.

He'd also be a daily reminder - if they struggle in late innings - of what could have been. He should be in a press box, away from the team or at home. Less distraction, less chance for animosity. I guarantee there are multiple guys on the team that can't stand the sight of him right now.

Unless the teammate couldn’t stand the sight of Devin Williams before this happened, I highly doubt the bolder is the case.

I’d also be willing to bet that his teammates have been a lot more forgiving of this situation than many fans and posters in this thread. I can’t imagine they are calling for him to be traded in the off-season or not allowed in the state of Wisconsin, the clubhouse or on the bench because of it.

I’m sure his teammates are disappointed it happened (and lots probably told him it was really stupid) and are unsure of what type of effect it’ll have on the bullpen and our chances at a World Series. However, in my opinion, it seems more likely that they’ll want him around and are talking about how they’ll pick up the slack with him being out.

“If you judge any person by their worst moment, we aren't going to like what we see in any of us,” - David Stearns

Stearns probably has a good opinion of O.J. Simpson if that is his point of view.

Equating a fluke, accidental injury to oneself to double murder. What the heck is wrong with you?

It's stunningly ironic how a bunch of you are labeling Williams as someone with anger issues all the while your very reactions suggest you have a severe inability to cope properly with a setback to your favorite sports team. Ugly stuff.

Stearns probably has a good opinion of O.J. Simpson if that is his point of view.

Equating a fluke, accidental injury to oneself to double murder. What the heck is wrong with you?

It's stunningly ironic how a bunch of you are labeling Williams as someone with anger issues all the while your very reactions suggest you have a severe inability to cope properly with a setback to your favorite sports team. Ugly stuff.

Ditto. You responded much diplomatically than I was going to, though. Thank you.

OJ was compared to Williams? You’ve gotta be kidding me. There’s buffoonery and then there is that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It's quite possible that Stearns doesn't equate a double felony murder in the same category of a worst moment as drunkenly punching a wall in frustration.

If this was Jeremy Jeffress I would punt him off the planet. That's a guy with a track record of doing dumb stuff. However, as far as my memory serves me, Devin Williams hasn't been caught up in dumb happenings before this. I am willing to give him another chance and don't really understand some clamoring to trade him.

I am sure the Brewers will do their best to get him the help he needs for whatever is going on and to make sure he can express his frustration without intentionally hurting him self to the point of breaking his hand. Good chance the Brewers weren't aware of any issues prior to this.

Excellent post. Thank you.

It's quite possible that Stearns doesn't equate a double felony murder in the same category of a worst moment as drunkenly punching a wall in frustration.

Wasn't OJ found not guilty?