Brewer Fanatic

Devin Williams to IL with hand injury

Eye Black

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

One long term ramification may be that the Brewers will be less likely to consider a Hader trade this off season. If Hader was dealt, the logical thing would be to elevate Williams to the closer role. But I don't see this happening until Williams has shown he's recovered from he injury.

Just a thought.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some are reading way too much into this as far as their long term plans with Williams. I doubt it affected those at all. If they were planning to trade him or Hader they will do it anyway and if they valued cheap, elite talent, he's staying. Stearns is too rational to send a guy packing because of one horrible but criminally victimless moment off the field.

I think some are reading way too much into this as far as their long term plans with Williams. I doubt it affected those at all. If they were planning to trade him or Hader they will do it anyway and if they valued cheap, elite talent, he's staying. Stearns is too rational to send a guy packing because of one horrible but criminally victimless moment off the field.

To be clear I think if Williams gets traded it will be because it is a good deal for our franchise, not because of this incident.

I'm really surprised at the blasé attitude a lot of people here are taking. Like all he did was sneak dad's car out after curfew and put a ding in the quarter panel. His foolish and selfish actions have seriously undermined the chances this team has to win a World Series for the first team since . . . ever. Looking sorry in a meeting with the GM does not cut it. Edited by Axman59

I'm really surprised at the blasé attitude a lot of people here are taking. Like all he did was sneak dad's car out after curfew and put a ding in the quarter panel. His foolish and selfish actions have seriously undermined the chances this team has to win a World Series for the first team since . . . ever. Looking sorry in a meeting with the GM does not cut it.

What thread have you been reading?

I'm really surprised at the blasé attitude a lot of people here are taking. Like all he did was sneak dad's car out after curfew and put a ding in the quarter panel. His foolish and selfish actions have seriously undermined the chances this team has to win a World Series for the first team since . . . ever. Looking sorry in a meeting with the GM does not cut it.

I've read a ton of posts basically saying "oh well," or "he appears sorry so we should leave him alone." And people being shocked or disappointed in those posters who are outraged by this.

I've read a ton of posts basically saying "oh well," or "he appears sorry so we should leave him alone." And people being shocked or disappointed in those posters who are outraged by this.

I wrote one of those posts. It's not a blase attitude. It's just that it happened, but dwelling on it can only make things worse. What exactly do you want to happen now? What would "cut it?"

I wrote one of those posts. It's not a blase attitude. It's just that it happened, but dwelling on it can only make things worse. What exactly do you want to happen now? What would "cut it?"

At a minimum I want him sent to Arizona to rehab his hand. Away from this team. He does not deserve to hang out with the guys who are trying to deliver a World Series win for this team. If I was the GM I'd like to trade the guy, but I recognize potential buyers need to see how his surgery comes out before anyone would be willing to pay top dollar in a trade. Maybe by then I'd be less incensed and take the guy back at Spring Training and move forward.

But we should not let this guy off the hook. His rash and stupid actions have seriously hurt the team at its most dire point of need. Just saying "oh well" is completely unacceptable.

At a minimum I want him sent to Arizona to rehab his hand. Away from this team. He does not deserve to hang out with the guys who are trying to deliver a World Series win for this team. If I was the GM I'd like to trade the guy, but I recognize potential buyers need to see how his surgery comes out before anyone would be willing to pay top dollar in a trade. Maybe by then I'd be less incensed and take the guy back at Spring Training and move forward.

But we should not let this guy off the hook. His rash and stupid actions have seriously hurt the team at its most dire point of need. Just saying "oh well" is completely unacceptable.

Totally disagree. He has been an important part of the team, presumably with friendships in the bullpen and throughout the roster. He's a grown adult who was dragged before the cameras by Stearns to explain his injury. He was contrite and humiliated.

He should be there to cheer on his teammates, and to serve as a daily reminder to them about self care.

It stinks that he injured himself, but sending him to time out does nothing to support the 26 guys who will be competing.

nobody said "oh well".

There's anger, disappointment, frustration, and even borderline rage reading in here. however each person feels is how they feel. there's a lot of people who are frustrated and angry about his actions, but also understand he's a human who made a huge regrettable mistake, and aren't ready to condemn him for it.

How we feel has no effect on what happened. Yes, I went through the 7 levels of grief, but it only took me an hour or two.

Obviously it was stupid, we all know that. He knows that. So why dwell on it? He didn't hurt anyone, break any laws, cause problems in the clubhouse, etc. Sorry, I'm just not going to view him as a super-villian.

Williams made a stupid, terrible decision. But the guy is still one of the best relief pitchers in MLB, and pitches for a team that places an extremely high value on pitching. He also makes peanuts, and has several years of team control remaining.

He's not going anywhere.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that's not necessarily true. Who would have thought we'd trade Rasmussen? Feyereisen? Thornburg? Granted Williams is better than these guys, but that also likely means we'd get more.

I guess my main point is that Stearns always keeps his options open and will deal if he believes that he can exploit a market inefficiency. Grisham looked like a guy who wasn't going anywhere for awhile too, until he did.

I guess I should have clarified that he's not going anywhere based on this incident. Sure, teams will call on him for sure this offseason. But any team that expects to grab him for pennies on the dollar I believe will be disappointed. If he is dealt, it's going to be for the proper value that a player of his stature should fetch on the market.

Edited by Ron Robinson's Beard

This sucks. No doubt about it. But I guess if we are going to look for a silver lining in all of this, it's that it wouldn't be the first time a team overcame some sort of major adversity to find success. Adversity can certainly be a rallying mechanism in professional sports, as we've seen throughout the years.

I think someone will have to fail, probably at least twice (or two guys once), before Hader throws 2 innings.

I think they would do it in a few situations.

1) We are facing elimination

2) We could clinch a series.

3) The less obvious, in a game where we would go up big if we won. Like taking a 3-0 series lead with a win. I could see then gunning hard for that win.

4) I also would not be shocked if he pitched a 9th and then a 10th inning. Though I lean against this scenario just because the extra inning rule won't apply in the postseason. Maybe if #1 or #2 is happening he may throw multiple innings in this scenario.

Of course a lot depends on how much he pitched prior in the series. I would agree that there is little to no chance we would see Hader in a Game 1 or Game 2 throwing multiple innings...I just can't see that. For a team with World Series aspirations they can't just start riding Hader that hard or it will soon enough implode. However, if they got to the World Series how they use any pitcher is a bit of a mystery. You got a lot of time to rest afterwards. I would bet if we got to the World Series he would pitch multiple innings at least once in the entire postseason.

I think as others have said, trading Williams will happen if it makes sense from a competitive standpoint. not because he lost his temper and tried to go all Mike Tyson on a wall.

scolding him in front of the media and making him take his lumps doesn't make sense if they're going to just trade him. that was a "you're our guy but you need to learn a lesson" moment.

I am not taking this laying down. In the last hour I have:

- Quit my job without giving 2 weeks notice.

- Purchased a DeLorean

- Contacted some Lybian's about some plutonium

- Found a nice back road where I can comfortably hit 88

Of course, when I change history and Williams is fine to pitch in the postseason none of you will know what I did and how much I care, but I care so much.

By the way... anyone know where I can get a radiation suit? I don't want to come out of this on the other side with a ring and an extra eye... the ring is good enough.. thanks!

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

This sucks. No doubt about it. But I guess if we are going to look for a silver lining in all of this, it's that it wouldn't be the first time a team overcame some sort of major adversity to find success. Adversity can certainly be a rallying mechanism in professional sports, as we've seen throughout the years.

This. And not only that, THIS Brewers team is probably the best positioned team in all of baseball to be able to cover for a top-end bullpen arm going down. If you include Ashby, we have 6 legit starting pitchers and will only need at most 4 in a playoff series. Counsell and the organization have shown the willingness in the past to be creative when the circumstances require it. And they have almost a week to figure things out and try out guys in different roles to see how they react.

Don't get me wrong - it will make winning the World Series harder. But it's not like we are rolling out Brent Suter to start Game 2 of a playoff series this year.

It sucks but to me, this team's fate was always going to be determined by whether or not the offenses vanishes for a few days in October. They've had skids this year that would make it impossible to win no matter how well Devin Williams plays. The backbone is the pitching, for sure, but the weeks where they score 8 total runs can't happen now.

craig's wallbangers.

too soon?

LOL

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Williams made a stupid, terrible decision. But the guy is still one of the best relief pitchers in MLB, and pitches for a team that places an extremely high value on pitching. He also makes peanuts, and has several years of team control remaining.

He's not going anywhere.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say that's not necessarily true. Who would have thought we'd trade Rasmussen? Feyereisen? Thornburg? Granted Williams is better than these guys, but that also likely means we'd get more.

I guess my main point is that Stearns always keeps his options open and will deal if he believes that he can exploit a market inefficiency. Grisham looked like a guy who wasn't going anywhere for awhile too, until he did.

The difference is you just listed a bunch of guys. Williams might be the second-best relief pitcher in the league behind Hader. It's going to take a haul to get him from us and teams just don't seem to be doing that right now. The Williams-Hader combo with the rotation we have is a playoff team that can win a WS. I think Stearns knows this and values this. It will take being blown away, even with this mistake, to move on from Williams.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.