Brewer Fanatic

Devin Williams to IL with hand injury

Eye Black

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
What I'd love to know is what could he have been so frustrated with that he would punch a wall after his team just clinched the division and 2nd seed? It sounds like this young man has anger management issues.

I am 99% sure if some reporter asked that question he'd say "a personal/family issue", and that would be it. I don't think we need to know what's going on with these guys intimate family lives and inside their heads all the time.

It sucks. It was stupid. He absolutely shouldn't have done it, but it's happened, and we, and more importantly the team are gonna have to move on.

I think my frustration is that nobody even asks the follow up question. Guaranteed that gets asked in most other markets, regardless of whether we need to know the answer.

Let me ask this.... honestly, not trolling or being a wiseacre..... Why do you want to know what he was frustrated about? He said he was drinking and frustrated about something. That's honest. He didn't say he dropped a suitcase on his hand, or some other dumb excuse. Will him being specific about it make you (or anyone) feel better about it? It's probably personal, and if he's not being specific about it, probably something we don't need to know about.

I am not excusing the stupidity of wall-punching. Just saying that badgering him about it doesn't change it, or make it easier to take. What is the point?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing that brief clip w Stearns and Devin. I would say more than anything, both Stearns and Devin looked very disappointed and dejected. They’ve both worked extremely hard to get to this point and they both see how this impacts the ball club. Stearns in his always levelheaded approach summed it up best: If we were all judged by our lowest moments we probably wouldn’t like what we saw. Bummed for everyone - fans most definitely included. Ugh.

Years ago I was playing flag football and I threw an interception. Without thinking I punched the wall and shattered my hand. I wasn’t thinking, I just reacted and it happened so quickly. It was dumb as hell. I understand me playing a flag football game is not close to the same as being a major piece to a MLB baseball team in the playoffs but I can understand how something like this can happen. Anger can get the best of you real quick.

I am 99% sure if some reporter asked that question he'd say "a personal/family issue", and that would be it. I don't think we need to know what's going on with these guys intimate family lives and inside their heads all the time.

It sucks. It was stupid. He absolutely shouldn't have done it, but it's happened, and we, and more importantly the team are gonna have to move on.

I think my frustration is that nobody even asks the follow up question. Guaranteed that gets asked in most other markets, regardless of whether we need to know the answer.

Let me ask this.... honestly, not trolling or being a wiseacre..... Why do you want to know what he was frustrated about? He said he was drinking and frustrated about something. That's honest. He didn't say he dropped a suitcase on his hand, or some other dumb excuse. Will him being specific about it make you (or anyone) feel better about it? It's probably personal, and if he's not being specific about it, probably something we don't need to know about.

I am not excusing the stupidity of wall-punching. Just saying that badgering him about it doesn't change it, or make it easier to take. What is the point?

This is a valid point - i don’t really care why he was frustrated. I think I’m mostly venting about the quality and fecklessness of the sports media in Milwaukee over the years. It’s besides the larger point. but I think a reporter working in a larger, probably coastal market asks the logical follow up.

Lots of terrible posts in this thread, but I guess they're forgivable since emotions were running high.

Everybody makes mistake, I guarantee you Williams feels worse about it than you do.

I’m sure my posts are included in this list, however I disagree. I don’t think there are lots of terrible posts here. People can have their opinion of this foolish mistake made by Williams. That’s doesn’t make their posts terrible.

He punched a wall, IN ANGER, during a celebration? Something isn't adding up here.

It was said that the incident occurred at home, well after the celebration at the stadium.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Lots of terrible posts in this thread, but I guess they're forgivable since emotions were running high.

Everybody makes mistake, I guarantee you Williams feels worse about it than you do.

I’m sure my posts are included in this list, however I disagree. I don’t think there are lots of terrible posts here. People can have their opinion of this foolish mistake made by Williams. That’s doesn’t make their posts terrible.

Yes, and I can have my opinion about the posts in this thread, which I think make Brewers fandom look bad.

Right, with how strong the starting pitching is if they live up to their general expectations we're only needing to cover under 2 innings per game in likely wins.

I absolutely hope you're right, but considering how the general trend of pitcher usage is going these days, the quality of opponent lineups we are likely to face, the fact that all three top starters are amidst career-highs in innings already, and the fact that CC (like most managers) is likely to have a quicker trigger than normal in the postseason, I think expecting Burnes or Woody, much less Peralta, to suddenly go considerably deeper into games than they usually do is a very optimistic assessment.

To be clear, I was eliminating Hader's one inning too. So, only asking 6ish from starter (their normal), 1 Hader, just gotta find 2ish elsewhere. Hopefully on the closer end to two most of the time (again if starters generally do what they've done), especially if Hader grabs and extra out here or there.

Yes, and I can have my opinion about the posts in this thread, which I think make Brewers fandom look bad.

Fair enough

Right, with how strong the starting pitching is if they live up to their general expectations we're only needing to cover under 2 innings per game in likely wins.

I absolutely hope you're right, but considering how the general trend of pitcher usage is going these days, the quality of opponent lineups we are likely to face, the fact that all three top starters are amidst career-highs in innings already, and the fact that CC (like most managers) is likely to have a quicker trigger than normal in the postseason, I think expecting Burnes or Woody, much less Peralta, to suddenly go considerably deeper into games than they usually do is a very optimistic assessment.

To be clear, I was eliminating Hader's one inning too. So, only asking 6ish from starter (their normal), 1 Hader, just gotta find 2ish elsewhere. Hopefully on the closer end to two most of the time (again if starters generally do what they've done), especially if Hader grabs and extra out here or there.

Starters probably aren't going 6 in the playoffs.

Starters probably aren't going 6 in the playoffs.

-

Well I said 'ish'. But yea, if they don't get through 6ish then the starters haven't lived up to their end/expectations and we'd have likely not been able to win regardless of what just happened to Williams, which was the point I was getting at. That said, I'd guess their targets/goals for the starters are ballpark 100 pitches to get 6 innings, unless they do poorly which gets to the point I was making.

Edited by tmwiese55

I'm 69 years old. I've been frustrated and upset more times than I can count. I've never once punched a wall or a person. I had a roommate in college who was a nasty drunk. He punched the glass part of a door near the campus . Cut his hand badly. All his friends realized he had serious problems. Relationships were never the same. Rational people just don't do those things. He needs anger counseling before he should be allowed anywhere near the clubhouse. Maybe alcohol rehab too.