Brewer Fanatic

Devin Williams to IL with hand injury

Eye Black

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the last time he pitches for the Brewers. While he may have let his teammates down, I am sure he was enraged the owner and front office who are ultimately the ones with control over his career.

He's having the most miserable day of his life today and we're all upset about it, but he obviously regrets it and we'll eventually move on. Although it certainly will be easier if the Brewers avoid blowing late-inning leads in the postseason...

He's not even the first pitcher this year to bust his pitching hand punching something. One wishes that he did it after a bad outing rather than after the celebration though.

This is roughly where I stand. The obvious has been said, I'm not going to pile on and I'm really not big on booing your own players unless they are like Marcell Ozuna or Trevor Bauer types. And we aren't exactly going to punt an extremely talented player over something like this. It sucks, all you can do is move forward

The FO will make the best call for the team. Booing is fair game to me. They're adults who make lots of money to just show up. You can boo the action and what this caused for the team. It's not like booing a guy is some condemnation of his soul.

It sucks. But it shouldn't be insurmountable for this team.

Right, with how strong the starting pitching is if they live up to their general expectations we're only needing to cover under 2 innings per game in likely wins. Yea it would be better to have him for one of them. But the other guys have also been very good this year, Box/Cousins/Strickland, so as long as a couple of them get on a heater it can be covered. If offense is more like post Adames and starters do what they did all year, this doesn't change their chances all that much.

Who'd have though that in 2018 we'd have been better of Jeffress got hurt beforehand, there's certainly an alternate timeline where Williams happens to be the one who blows a game or two at the wrong time and this prevents it from happening. Mathematically that's less likely than him being a big positive, don't get me wrong there, but baseball is a weird game some times.

Edited by tmwiese55

Ouch.

It's all been said.

Frustrating.

Ashby/Houser probably just became multi-inning, high-leverage relievers.

I'll play blind optimist: Devin has looked mortal this year. The changeup has been good, but he's struggled with location. It's a blow to lose him, but there may be ways to use SP depth to avoid a big drop-off. Probably puts more pressure on Woody/Burnes to throw more innings and Hader to go beyond an inning too.

They treat these guys with kid gloves all season so they won’t be burned out before the season ends, and then he does this.

No kidding. You have guys like this in such a limited role pitching half as many innings as relievers used to pitch 20 years ago and only ever pitching one inning a game in the regular season all so they're good to go for every post season game. Then it's over just like that.

Wouldn't surprise me if that's the last time he pitches for the Brewers. While he may have let his teammates down, I am sure he was enraged the owner and front office who are ultimately the ones with control over his career.

He's having the most miserable day of his life today and we're all upset about it, but he obviously regrets it and we'll eventually move on. Although it certainly will be easier if the Brewers avoid blowing late-inning leads in the postseason...

He's not even the first pitcher this year to bust his pitching hand punching something. One wishes that he did it after a bad outing rather than after the celebration though.

Just spitballing here, but don’t you think that if the FO wasn’t angry with Devin, they would have provided a little more cover for Devin? This is the same organization that came up with the whopper about Lucroy’s suitcase.

Alright, so let's do the math on this. Devin was going to cover, what? 7 innings in a 5-game series? At most?

So, can you make that up with Strickland/Houser/Hader/Ashby/Cousins?

If it's me, I'm putting Strickland/Cousins in the Devin role and just adding Gustave as the blowout guy to the back end of the NLDS roster. The probably gives someone like Suter a higher leverage index, but I think you can get to the point where it has more attritional impact than anything.

Is this part of some grand satanic plan to grease the skids for the Cardinals to win the World Series? First Brandon Belt breaks his hand getting hit by a pitch. Then, because Williams never bats, the devil in red had to come up with something else. My guess is that it involved Lola from “Damn Yankees”.

A lot of Cardinals fans must have sold their souls to get this much luck.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Just spitballing here, but don’t you think that if the FO wasn’t angry with Devin, they would have provided a little more cover for Devin? This is the same organization that came up with the whopper about Lucroy’s suitcase.

Exactly, trotting him out there in front of the media to answer for himself is enough punishment and fit the crime well. The quickness and body language Stearns had when asked about when they learned about it said it all.

Assuming he's not a total sociopath he should have learned his lesson and everyone should be able to move on.

Some of the comments in here are embarrassing. I am certain every single person here has done something just as dumb or worse at least once in their lives. The fact that he's a public person and you're not doesn't mean he's any dumber than you when you did the stupid things you did that no one cares about.

Some of the comments in here are embarrassing. I am certain every single person here has done something just as dumb or worse at least once in their lives. The fact that he's a public person and you're not doesn't mean he's any dumber than you when you did the stupid things you did that no one cares about.

Nobody here was ever close to being an integral part of a World Series run. No one here is being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to play that role.

Nothing close to embarrassing has been posted here. Check out Twitter for that. Williams made a foolish mistake at a really bad time for both him and for the organization.

Nobody here was ever close to being an integral part of a World Series run. No one here is being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to play that role.

I’ve never done anything that put my job in jeopardy because I got drunk, upset, and then punched a wall, breaking my hand, which is imperative for my job responsibilities. I’m guessing most of us are in the same position.

Right, with how strong the starting pitching is if they live up to their general expectations we're only needing to cover under 2 innings per game in likely wins.

I absolutely hope you're right, but considering how the general trend of pitcher usage is going these days, the quality of opponent lineups we are likely to face, the fact that all three top starters are amidst career-highs in innings already, and the fact that CC (like most managers) is likely to have a quicker trigger than normal in the postseason, I think expecting Burnes or Woody, much less Peralta, to suddenly go considerably deeper into games than they usually do is a very optimistic assessment.

Such unbelievably flawed thinking regarding the expectations of another human being. Stuff happens, it sucks, but it doesn't make Devin Williams a terrible person or one who should be traded. And it doesn't warrant the vitriol and talk of booing him. He made a mistake and feels terrible about it. He didn't lie and he faced his teammates, the organization, and the fans and owned up to his mistake. Imagine if there were people tossing you away when you did similarly stupid things.

Edited by True Blue Brew Crew

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The amount of money you make doesn't exempt you from the ability of making very regrettable, very human mistakes.

The amount of money you make doesn't exempt you from the ability of making very regrettable, very human mistakes.

Who said anything about being exempt? The expectations should be higher for someone in his position to keep things in-check.