Brewer Fanatic

Devin Williams to IL with hand injury

Eye Black

Well yeah, because Williams has. The doesn't mean Ashby isn't a legitimate replacement (not to mention Box or Strickland or Cousins). I just cant get on board with losing a reliever being more important than losing a starting pitcher the level of Kershaw or a 30 homer bat.

Hopefully Ashby can flip that switch starting Friday, because if he isn't the guy to replace Williams, we have nothing else.

Worried yet?

No. Whatever will be will be.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The value of a single reliever is a playoff series is not huge. No way is Williams the biggest lost compared to actual starters like Belt/Kershaw.

We shall see...

The thing about losing someone like Williams is that it only hurts in certain types of games because you know he wouldn’t appear before the 8th inning. So, unless the team gets into games that are close in the 8th inning, he would have no impact.

If you give up late runs to lose a game that was close you will wonder if Williams would have made a positive difference.

With a starter or important everyday player, you will never know if that player might have had a significant impact on the game.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I admittedly know nothing about hand surgery procedures, but the part of this I’ve never totally understood regarding the hope for him to return is that he just had a metal plate inserted into his pitching hand. The idea someone could go from having a plate put into their hand to pitching at a high level 3-4 weeks later seems incredible.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I admittedly know nothing about hand surgery procedures, but the part of this I’ve never totally understood regarding the hope for him to return is that he just had a metal plate inserted into his pitching hand. The idea someone could go from having a plate put into their hand to pitching at a high level 3-4 weeks later seems incredible.

That does seem incredible.

Not only would he have to be physically able to pitch, but he’d have to shake off the rust enough that you’d feel confident throwing him into a high leverage situation.

If the Brewers can get to the World Series with other relievers serving as the bridge between the starters and Hader they might be better off sticking with that than gambling on someone who hasn’t thrown a pitch in a game for almost a month.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Google says: Metals. Metals used in orthopedic implants include surgical grade stainless steel (commonly 316L), cobalt-chromium (Co-Cr) alloys and pure commercial titanium (Ti) or titanium alloys.

There won't be any rust to shake off.

Apparently Devin had surgery on Friday and has been sent to Arizona to rehab. I think it is excellent he has been sent out of state while the Brewers take care of their playoff business.

Judging by your previous posts, I believe you are implying that he has been sent to Arizona and removed from the team intentionally due to his actions. But sending a player to Arizona for rehab is 100% protocol following a medical procedure. He was in the dugout in Los Angeles last weekend, which signifies to me that the rest of the team supports him.

Google says: Metals. Metals used in orthopedic implants include surgical grade stainless steel (commonly 316L), cobalt-chromium (Co-Cr) alloys and pure commercial titanium (Ti) or titanium alloys.

There won't be any rust to shake off.

:laughing

Apparently Devin had surgery on Friday and has been sent to Arizona to rehab. I think it is excellent he has been sent out of state while the Brewers take care of their playoff business.

he's in AZ to rehab to get ready for the ws. not for punishment.

Yes, if he has any intentions of pitching in a game as critical as the World Series, he'd need to get some action against live hitters. The Arizona facility would be the place for that.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Devin ain't pitching in no World Series.

This year anyway.

Devin ain't pitching in no World Series.

This year anyway.

Odds are that he is not. But they wouldn't have sent him to Arizona to rehab it if there wasn't a chance.

Again, he is NOT being punished. The narrative you continue to push here is simply incorrect.

Odds are that he is not. But they wouldn't have sent him to Arizona to rehab it if there wasn't a chance.

Again, he is NOT being punished. The narrative you continue to push here is simply incorrect.

It is my opinion he should be punished. I did not, however, say the Brewers sent him to Arizona as a punishment.

He has a broken hand and required surgery. He won't get the opportunity to pitch in the playoffs because of his big mistake and had to go publicly own up to it and likely feels a great deal of shame for letting his team and himself down. I think that's probably punishment enough.

It's done, it happened. It's a big life lesson with consequences that he will hopefully learn from. No reason to pour on anymore.

• 2 months later...

Care to paraphrase?

I'm not a member, it let me read just long enough to get my interest. lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Some quotes from the Article from Devin that I think speak on what happened:

“I was upset over an altercation,” Williams told The Athletic recently. “Instead of taking it out on that person, I walked away, hit a wall. You know, release some frustration? And … yeah.”

Williams stopped his sentence there and shook his head. Explanations aren’t to be viewed as excuses for behavior. Williams isn’t interested in defending the act and has a hard time making sense of it beyond calling it what it was: a dumb mistake.

“I don’t really have an answer,” Williams said. “I can tell you for sure, though, that it wasn’t that I was fighting with my significant other or things that I’ve seen people say. That’s not the case. It was just a drunken moment. It was something stupid. I hit a wall. And I woke up, and my hand (was in pain). I didn’t even believe it myself. I didn’t want it to be the actuality of the situation or the reality of it. I was just as shocked as everyone else. I didn’t think that was going to happen.”

There are some quotes from Cain, Woodruff and Strickland. Cain and Woodruff were happy and pleased that he came forward about the injury and what happened. Williams thought he could play with it and didn't know he had broken his hand until before the game in St. Louis where he tried to play catch and that is when he told Counsell and then the X-ray's showed he broke his hand.

It was Devin's decision not to be with the team during the playoffs as he didn't want to be a distraction to the team but he did watch the team. Williams also sees the 2022 season as a prove it year getting the confidence of the clubhouse back. For anyone that doesn't have a subscription to the Athletic you should really think about getting one there are a lot of good articles on there for just about every sport and team.

Since there is nothing else to discuss, I found this blurb this morning:

Devin Williams (hand) said Wednesday in an interview with The Athletic that he expects to be fully healthy for the start of spring training after undergoing right hand surgery in October.

Williams was forced to miss the entire 2021 postseason after fracturing his pitching hand on September 26 when he punched a wall while out celebrating the Brewers' NL Central division crown. The dynamic 27-year-old righty has emerged as one of the premier relief pitchers in the game, posting a microscopic 1.78 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and 140/37 K/BB ratio across 81 innings (80 appearances) over the last two seasons. He's already resumed a throwing program, in addition to lifting weights, and should be ready to go for spring training.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jan 5, 2022, 5:22 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS