Brewer Fanatic

Devin Williams to IL with hand injury

Eye Black

What if Devin had been hearing something in the wall for weeks and has now discovered an entire feral family living in there? And now that family and his can learn from and live with each other, teaching other valuable life lessons and perspectives?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What if Devin Williams on his way home from the celebration saw an innocent old lady being robbed at gun point? What if he quickly changed into his superman outfit, rushed the thief and while trying to punch him, accidentally hit a brick wall and broke his hand? Devin is in a tough spot here, he can't unveil his true identity, so he has to make up a story that he punched a wall in anger.

You'd all look pretty foolish if this ends up being the case.

After an initial period of shock and anger, I've taken a deep breath and will try to look at it objectively.

What Williams did is stupid. He knows it, management knows it, his teammates know it, and the fans know it. He hurt his team and has probably hurt his relations with the fans and some of his teammates.

The team "punished" him by making him talk to the reporters and face public humiliation. His teammates have the chance to voice their opinions when they get to decide who gets to share in the playoff money. After that, unless he has hurt his relationship with his teammates so much that they won't play with him (which is doubtful), then the team should not look to trade him.

He is young, talented, and has a lot of team control remaining. They are going to lose Hader at some point over the next couple of years, and he is the heir apparent. Replacing him would be very costly at a time in which the Brewers likely won't have much to spend in either payroll space or "prospect capital." If anything, this could cause the team to re-think offering an extension (if they were contemplating doing so), but he's too valuable long-term to trade him over this incident.

As to the fans, well... they welcomed K-Rod, a serial wife beater, with open arms. I'd guess that if Williams comes back and continues to perform at a high level, this will go down in history along with falling suitcases, sharp salad tongs, and untearable phone books, but it won't have fans "calling for his head."

Beyond that, I hope that there is nothing too seriously wrong in his personal life. He could have a sick family member or something else that we don't know about. His team and teammates will know this, and hopefully they can help.

In a perfect scenario, he will make it back for the World Series, get some big outs, and be on the field hugging his teammates as a World Champion. I'll trust that he'll know better than to punch any more walls :-)

Good post. Sums it up pretty well for me. Only quibble is the K-Rod part. I never wanted that piece of garbage on this team, let alone 3 different times. I hated rooting for him from the word go.

At this point, I think of Williams as a good person who did something stupid, whereas K-Rod (along with Chapman and many others) are bad people who were cheered on because of their physical talents. Unless something else comes out of this, and I don't think it will, I will gladly cheer for Williams again. I just hope he can recover quickly and completely.

Agree fully.

I mean I am not really surprised by the reaction nor do I blame people for making extreme comments to the situation. This is arguably, maybe not even debatable, the best chance this franchise has ever had going into the postseason to come out winning it all. For one of the most important players in the upcoming postseason to punch a wall after clinching the division is pretty brutal.

I don't think there is anyone among us that isn't at least a little deflated by this. It is very clear though that some of us are a little more mature emotionally when it comes to reacting to it.

Time to lock it down

If we just block people with less than 100 posts from commenting you solve 99% of the problem.

How do they get to 100 posts then?

By posting in the IGT the name of a player who just hit a homer in all caps followed by several exclamation points.

Time to lock it down

If we just block people with less than 100 posts from commenting you solve 99% of the problem.

How do they get to 100 posts then?

I have already responded to a similar comment.

A) It was a joke

B) I was referring to this thread, not the entire board. I thought that would have been obvious, but I guess it was not. My bad

#1 Williams - If we had someone, a legitimate replacement for him, I'd put him lower, but we don't, so I think in terms of which injury hurts the most, it is Williams.

#2 Belt - It could be argued that he would be #1 on this list, after all, who steps in the play 1B for them that can hit like him? Still going with Williams, we have to reconfigure the back end of our bullpen now that Williams is out. I just don't think we have another arm for his role that can be depended on.

#3 Kershaw - They have so much great starting pitching (Kershaw is probably their #4), they won't miss a beat without Kershaw. (who has had a lot of issues in playoff baseball in the past anyway)

You could add Bauer to that list too, not an injury, but not having him made a difference for sure. They had to go out nd get Scherzer... Poor Dodgers. :(

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

#1 Williams - If we had someone, a legitimate replacement for him, I'd put him lower, but we don't, so I think in terms of which injury hurts the most, it is Williams.

#2 Belt - It could be argued that he would be #1 on this list, after all, who steps in the play 1B for them that can hit like him? Still going with Williams, we have to reconfigure the back end of our bullpen now that Williams is out. I just don't think we have another arm for his role that can be depended on.

#3 Kershaw - They have so much great starting pitching (Kershaw is probably their #4), they won't miss a beat without Kershaw. (who has had a lot of issues in playoff baseball in the past anyway)

You could add Bauer to that list too, not an injury, but not having him made a difference for sure. They had to go out nd get Scherzer... Poor Dodgers. :(

You don't think Ashby is legitimate?

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

How long has he been in that role?

He is a legit question mark for sure...

Well yeah, because Williams has. The doesn't mean Ashby isn't a legitimate replacement (not to mention Box or Strickland or Cousins). I just cant get on board with losing a reliever being more important than losing a starting pitcher the level of Kershaw or a 30 homer bat.

After his horrendous outing today he is a big question mark.

Well yeah, because Williams has. The doesn't mean Ashby isn't a legitimate replacement (not to mention Box or Strickland or Cousins). I just cant get on board with losing a reliever being more important than losing a starting pitcher the level of Kershaw or a 30 homer bat.

Hopefully Ashby can flip that switch starting Friday, because if he isn't the guy to replace Williams, we have nothing else.

Worried yet?

The value of a single reliever is a playoff series is not huge. No way is Williams the biggest lost compared to actual starters like Belt/Kershaw.

We shall see...

Hopefully Ashby can flip that switch starting Friday, because if he isn't the guy to replace Williams, we have nothing else.

Worried yet?

Box? Cousins? Houser? Strickland? Also not writing Ashby off after a bad outing. He has been pretty darn good for a quite a while now. So no, not worried. Disappointed in Williams for sure. Having him would be easier but they have arms.