Brewer Fanatic

Game 3: Packers @ 49ers - Sunday, September 26th 7:20pm

homer

I don't know if statistics like this take into consideration the momentum change. Going for it and not getting on that 4th down changed the game IMO. I can't tell you what would have happened after that with field position or points scored against us but I do know that they could've went up 13-0 and possibly continued the momentum. They didn't and field position and momentum changed on that play that helped shape the remained of the game.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if statistics like this take into consideration the momentum change. Going for it and not getting on that 4th down changed the game IMO. I can't tell you what would have happened after that with field position or points scored against us but I do know that they could've went up 13-0 and possibly continued the momentum. They didn't and field position and momentum changed on that play that helped shape the remained of the game.

They forced a punt and scored a TD to go up 17-0. So I don't think it did change the game negatively. I don't know if they lost any momentum because I don't know how to quantify such a thing. But if we define momentum as this magic pendulum representative of the game or something, the win probability following an event is basically the same thing. It's really semantics at that point, I don't know if I'm making sense. The win probability calculates your likelihood of winning if you go for it up 10 inside the 5 and fail.

There are too many sides to look at it from to know. I can easily say if it's 13-0 and the 49ers start at the 30 and not the 5, they're more aggressive with the playcalling. But let's say they are and they score, there may be less incentive to go for it on 4th down at the end of the half and score. Maybe they take the 3 then instead. There are just a billion variables here.

The penalty on ALexander was bogus as heck. The tripping on Amos was legit. That was clear as day tripping. I don't know what to say if someone thinks that wasn't tripping. It was textbook.

Someone on another Packers forum last night said Amos tripped the QB was while he was being held.

I actually said this here probably just a couple pages before your post. It was basically the reason to throw the leg up as a reaction to being yanked(held) back falling on to his butt. That would make offsetting penalties and replay of down. Whatever Official staring down that line missing that call is pretty awful. Not like other players shielded the view as it is outside the pocket and not in the trenches. Maybe it's the OL-man not letting go and raising those hands up, like "I didn't do it" is what saved him from flag being thrown.

I'm still very uncomfortable with the defense. Very, very lucky that Grappolo had terrible pocket escape and held ball for huge sacks to be made on him. At least 3 times I couldn't believe he took a sack when it appeared he could have at least produced some escape to throw the ball away or tuck it and run for a few yards. Just a rookie statue out there at times for a vet.

I re-watched the final 37 seconds yesterday (just to appreciate the vintage Rodgers / Crosby moment). Before the second completion to Adams, Ruvelle Martin pulled MVS by the waist to get him back on the sideline and prevent the offense from having 12 men on the field (MVS was caught up in cheering). Very savvy move by our ‘coaching fellow.’ I hope he gets a chance to coach in the NFL, if that is his desire.