Brewer Fanatic

Game 3: Packers @ 49ers - Sunday, September 26th 7:20pm

homer

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, honestly, I wasn't expecting a win with our OL injuries so a win is sweet.

Other than the facemask penalty, Nijman played fairly well against Bosa. They were chipping the heck out of Bosa, but you didn't hear them talk much about Nijman.

One sack for SF, none by Bosa. That's a win for Nijman.

The OLine and the game plan were both very good.

I don't think people fully appreciate the degree of difficulty on that key 1st down pass to Davante that got it up to midfield. The hole in that zone was almost nonexistent. You're dropping a ball through a tire from 35 yards away.

It’s a throw that 98 out of 100 NFL QBs probably throw an INT on. And that might be generous.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Remember, next week is Rodgers' last game as starter per Jermichael Finley.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The score remained 10-0 and the Packers got the ball back in no small part because the Niners had to go 95 yards.

You can't just tack 3 points on the score at half or at the end and say an isolated decision was a mistake. The flow of the game changes after a decision like that.

In the sequence we're discussing the Packers wound up netting +7. Could they have kicked the FG, gotten the stop and gone up 20-0? Maybe. But it's also possible SF gets 3 or 7 if we let them start a drive at the 25 or take a kick back.

That sequence started with the 49ers flipping the field and pinning GB back inside their 20 after after a few first downs and taking the ball to midfield. GB's touchdown drive was not influenced at all by SF starting inside their 5 after the failed 4th and short instead of opting for a chip shot field goal. Thank the football gods they found a way back down the field and Crosby hit another 50+yard field goal to win it in spite of some horrible officiating tonight - but if they take those 3 points in the first half, there's much less drama at the end of this game.

Edited by Fear The Chorizo

I don't think people fully appreciate the degree of difficulty on that key 1st down pass to Davante that got it up to midfield. The hole in that zone was almost nonexistent. You're dropping a ball through a tire from 35 yards away.

He had a few throws that were just sick.

The score remained 10-0 and the Packers got the ball back in no small part because the Niners had to go 95 yards.

You can't just tack 3 points on the score at half or at the end and say an isolated decision was a mistake. The flow of the game changes after a decision like that.

In the sequence we're discussing the Packers wound up netting +7. Could they have kicked the FG, gotten the stop and gone up 20-0? Maybe. But it's also possible SF gets 3 or 7 if we let them start a drive at the 25 or take a kick back.

That sequence started with the 49ers flipping the field and pinning GB back inside their 20 after after a few first downs and taking the ball to midfield. GB's touchdown drive was not influenced at all by SF starting inside their 5 after the failed 4th and short instead of opting for a chip shot field goal. Thank the football gods they found a way back down the field and Crosby hit another 50+yard field goal to win it - but if they take the points in the first half, there's much less drama at the end of this game.

They got the fumble and field goal later on. Going for it on 4th was 100% the right call. To say otherwise is disregarding every decision that may or may not have changed as a result of that field goal. The game plays out totally differently.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That sequence started with the 49ers flipping the field and pinning GB back inside their 20 after after a few first downs and taking the ball to midfield. GB's touchdown drive was not influenced at all by SF starting inside their 5 after the failed 4th and short instead of opting for a chip shot field goal. Thank the football gods they found a way back down the field and Crosby hit another 50+yard field goal to win it - but if they take the points in the first half, there's much less drama at the end of this game.

They got the fumble and field goal later on. Going for it on 4th was 100% the right call. To say otherwise is disregarding every decision that may or may not have changed as a result of that field goal. The game plays out totally differently.

And that fumble/fg in the 4th quarter would have put them up 9 instead of 6 and effectively ended the game - how was that the right call? I disagree completely and don't think the entire game plays out that drastically differently by taking a 13-0 lead early in the 2nd quarter - particularly when that decision is completely insulated from the entire 2nd half, and frankly didn't have an immediate impact even on GB's touchdown drive that put them up 17-0.

Edited by Fear The Chorizo

LOLz

And that fumble/fg in the 4th quarter would have put them up 9 instead of 6 and effectively ended the game - how was that the right call? I disagree completely

That's fine you can disagree but the game plays out differently if they kick a FG. You can't just assume everything after that decision remains the same.

It’s a throw that 98 out of 100 NFL QBs probably throw an INT on. And that might be generous.

That throw was incredible.

I will have to go back and look but it seems like it was more like 4th and a yard and a half, run didn’t seem like an option, and we just fumbled the play before and were fortunate it went out of bounds. Sometimes you take the points and move on, I have no idea why that would be a 100% call.

Awesome Game finish. Seeing Jimmy G on sidelines in a daze that GB had a FG opportunity to win the game was priceless.

On the Amos tripping, that OL was ripping him backwards to make it very obvious. So that's an obvious holding not called.

I don't know how Adams took that helmet to the chin and returned. I fully expect a fine by the NFL on that hit. Full send reminder on that Bronco(Merriwether was it?) DB who just launched in to WRs with an upward blow no regard.

I will say that sequence 2 deep throws after was crap. How they don't run down Adams is beyond me. MVS went out immediately after that throw. But whatever. So happy for WI today. Ryder Cup, Brewers Division Champs, Packer Heroics to complete! Good Night on that!

That sequence started with the 49ers flipping the field and pinning GB back inside their 20 after after a few first downs and taking the ball to midfield. GB's touchdown drive was not influenced at all by SF starting inside their 5 after the failed 4th and short instead of opting for a chip shot field goal. Thank the football gods they found a way back down the field and Crosby hit another 50+yard field goal to win it in spite of some horrible officiating tonight - but if they take those 3 points in the first half, there's much less drama at the end of this game.

Nope. Doesn't work that way. The events over the course of the game aren't isolated. Each one potentially changed the following decisions. What you're not taking in to account here is the 49ers drive that began inside the 5 ended up stalling out. Was fatigue a factor? Who knows. Would they have kicked a fg if they started at the 25 or the 35? Would their offensive playcalling change if they're not backup at the 3?

You don't know how any of that plays out. So you can't just assume that if they take the 3, they're up 9 and the end of the game. It's just not that simple.

And that fumble/fg in the 4th quarter would have put them up 9 instead of 6 and effectively ended the game - how was that the right call? I disagree completely

That's fine you can disagree but the game plays out differently if they kick a FG. You can't just assume everything after that decision remains the same.

Ok, tell me how exactly it plays out worse if they go up 13-0 in that spot early in the 2nd quarter instead of giving them the ball at their 5 and having them march to midfield before punting. I think if anything that leads to SF making decisions in much more of a chase mode, which benefits the Packers. Would've been perfect had they converted, but to me at that stage of the game I take the points.

And I'd agree with OldHeidelberg - that whole sequence seemed out of whack and in part was why I wished they had just kicked the FG there, seemed like they were forcing something that just wasn't gonna succeed for whatever reason. Jones fumbling out of bounds on 3rd down, took awhile to get the 4th down play in and set up at the line, should have been a delay of game and the snap almost nailed the guy in motion....seemed to have a better chance at ending in disaster than simply not converting.

Oh well, glad they won in spite of alot going against them during the 2nd half - I'll take 2-1 no matter how they got there!

He doesn't care: