Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin vs Notre Dame (at Soldier Field) Thread

homer

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the Badgers should be looking for a QB in the portal next spring but then I realized why would one want to come here?

I know I wouldn't.

How they ever got Russell Wilson boggles my mind to this day.

That team was loaded talentwise and just needed a good QB to be a borderline national title contender.

This 2021 Badger roster is a joke by comparison.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Coaching vs talent is a chicken-or-egg question... but:

- Mertz looks incredibly skittish during any sort of pressure and makes terrible decisions.

- Mertz throws some really ugly, wobbly balls - could be coaching.

- Mertz is consistently high or just off target. Certainly, technique issues going on.

- That pick-6 was a terrible decision and a terrible, slow throw. Not a coaching problem.

Yes, it could be some coaching issues... or it just could be that they missed badly on someone they thought was talented. Many QBs drafted in the 1st round fail and not because of coaching.

Seems like we were getting the most out of other QBs that came here under PC.

Were we getting the most out of Coan? Sure doesn’t seem that way. I don’t think he’s that good (long throwing motion, no mobility) but he looks solid playing for ND.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I was thinking the Badgers should be looking for a QB in the portal next spring but then I realized why would one want to come here?

I know I wouldn't.

How they ever got Russell Wilson boggles my mind to this day.

That team was loaded talentwise and just needed a good QB to be a borderline national title contender.

This 2021 Badger roster is a joke by comparison.

They've always been a quarterback away ever since Barry took over. QBs just don't want to play in that system.

I don't know if I would blame coaching for Mertz's poor ball security and slow decision making. They had an easy first down in the red zone early if he just throws the ball when he's supposed to.

Honestly, I wouldn't be so hard on Mertz if he showed flashes of talent. But, he's been consistently bad.

I think Mertz largely sucks because of himself, but at the end of the day we are the ones coaching him. So why can’t we make him at least competent? I think that would concern any decent recruit. As others have said the system is still horrendous for a QB to play in.

I was really hoping Mertz would be good and they would make a bit more of a pass friendly system (and continue to get good QB recruits), but the system never changed and then Mertz has proven to kind of suck.

Coaching vs talent is a chicken-or-egg question...

That's what we don't know. Is the play calling predictable because of the coaching or is it restricted because the QB is having trouble grasping the system and can't handle more complex plays?

Is Chryst a bad play caller or does he have too much on his plate being head coach and QB coach and they need a full-time OC (who is better than Rudolph)? If the latter, what position coach do they get rid of because they are limited to ten coaches (one HC and nine assistant/position coaches)?

That's what we don't know. Is the play calling predictable because of the coaching or is it restricted because the QB is having trouble grasping the system and can't handle more complex plays?

Is Chryst a bad play caller or does he have too much on his plate being head coach and QB coach and they need a full-time OC (who is better than Rudolph)? If the latter, what position coach do they get rid of because they are limited to ten coaches (one HC and nine assistant/position coaches)?

This is just an excuse to not put blame on PC.

QB problem or not the play calling has become very predictable and there are things that he could do but doesn't and it has nothing to with the QB having trouble grasping the system. This is the same system that was being ran by Coan so nothing has changed. The play calling is exactly the same, the same formations, very little motion, no play action, no moving players around, etc.

The problem is with PC and his horrible play calling. There is no excuse and it is not on the QB when you run less than 5-yard routes on 1st and 20. That is not on the QB that is on the play caller. PC could put Ferguson in the slot every once in a while but refuses to because the QB couldn't handle that? That doesn't make any sense at all. The QB play has been bad but the play calling has been equally if not worse. PC is just a D3 coach who can't adjust or make changes to his game plan regardless of who his QB is. If the OL is having problems pass blocking try using some rollouts with your QB get him in motion, move some of your WR around don't just line them up straight up 99.99% of the time. There are many things he could be doing that would improve the play of the team and has absolutely nothing to do with the QB understanding the scheme. These are basic things that can be done and yet he has refused to do any of them. PC has a really good TE but yet he refuses to move him around to put him in a position to take advantage of his height against a CB or a safety. That has absolutely nothing to do with his QB and who is playing QB.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Were we getting the most out of Coan? Sure doesn’t seem that way. I don’t think he’s that good (long throwing motion, no mobility) but he looks solid playing for ND.

Yes, I think we did. Frankly, I didn't see much different from Coan compared to what he was in 2019. Looks like the same meh college QB. In fact, he looked much less accurate yesterday (granted he did have some individual bad games with the Badgers). He is getting almost the same yds/gm with less accuracy (69 vs 60), more TDs and more INTs (but of course JT got most of the TDs with WI).

Sadly, neither Mertz nor Coan was the best QB on the field. Both were outplayed by ND's third string.

WI bet on Mertz over Coan because Mertz has the better upside and Coan was maxed out.... But wow did Mertz's floor just fall out from under him.