Brewer Fanatic

Stearns mentioned for Met's Presidents job

brewers888

I'm not concerned about another grown man exercising his free will. Stearns has more than earned the right to do whatever he wants with his career.

Whoever the next POBO is will either be better, worse or about the same & we won't even really have an idea about which way the arrow is pointing until they've been on the job a couple two tree years.

I'll wait until then to maybe consider worrying about it or not.

I'm of the opinion that he is going to go. Period. So my take is trade him right now and get something back.

If by “something” you mean human baseball players, ok. Otherwise take a look at what the Red Sox got for Theo Epstein from the Cubs. Three organizational soldiers 2 of whom never saw the major leagues and a third who pitched 6 innings for Boston and was released.

Any team that wants a certain executive under contract with another club, can just wait them out if it’s that important, no reason to give up “real” talent to get them early.

I'm of the opinion that he is going to go. Period. So my take is trade him right now and get something back.

If by “something” you mean human baseball players, ok. Otherwise take a look at what the Red Sox got for Theo Epstein from the Cubs. Three organizational soldiers 2 of whom never saw the major leagues and a third who pitched 6 innings for Boston and was released.

Any team that wants a certain executive under contract with another club, can just wait them out if it’s that important, no reason to give up “real” talent to get them early.

Exactly. If David Stearns wants to work for the Mets, and the Mets want to employ David Stearns, it's gonna happen. These contract options and whatnot are simply postponing the inevitable. And knowing how Stearns operates, there is a solid succession plan already in place if he does plan to eventually leave the team.

I posted this before but do not expect much at all if you trade him.

Red Sox got: Chris Carpenter and Aaron Kurcz for Epstein

White sox got: Jhan Marinez and Osvaldo Martinez for Guillen

Brewers would be better off keeping his services as long as he wants to be here. Also its all speculation that he wants to go to the Mets unless you or the Brewers know something that I don't

Trading him would be interesting if our team just fell apart somehow, but I guess he isn't as attractive at that point.

He isn't going to sit here through a rebuild. Good GMs don't need to do that. Just like Epstein he can just jump ship when it looks to be going south. Good GMs know that rebuilding teams suck and make them look bad. Get in the life boat with some of your closest personnel and float off to the next tropical island. Then we got to find a new guy looking for his big opportunity.

Just said it was my opinion. I think we are allowed to have one here.

I also think the Mets have some major league pieces that they want to move.

Looking at past returns for GM type people might not apply in this case.

of course you are. That being said my only point was that you aren't going to get a top 20 prospect or anything significant for him, so you might as well keep him.

Trading him would be interesting if our team just fell apart somehow, but I guess he isn't as attractive at that point.

He isn't going to sit here through a rebuild. Good GMs don't need to do that. Just like Epstein he can just jump ship when it looks to be going south. Good GMs know that rebuilding teams suck and make them look bad. Get in the life boat with some of your closest personnel and float off to the next tropical island. Then we got to find a new guy looking for his big opportunity.

Most teams that need a GM are probably in a rebuild. Otherwise the old GM would probably still be there.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Most teams that need a GM are probably in a rebuild. Otherwise the old GM would probably still be there.

Not necessarily...and even then there is a difference between the end of a rebuild with lots of assets/payroll space and the start of a rebuild with all kinds of problems with little assets.

Not if their GM is poached by a huge market team with an owner with a stupid amount of money burning a hole in his pocket and a little brother complex/need to be relevant.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Stearns leaves. Arnold gets promoted. Continue on as you have been.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Not necessarily...and even then there is a difference between the end of a rebuild with lots of assets/payroll space and the start of a rebuild with all kinds of problems with little assets.

What team gets rid of a GM without having made enough mistakes to cause the team to need major changes? You don't fire a GM because the team is a player or so away from being competitive. I'm not sure I can think of one that left the majority of the rebuild to one GM only to get another one a year or so away from being competitive. Managers yes. GM's not so much.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Stearns leaves. Arnold gets promoted. Continue on as you have been.

Sounds all well and good but we don’t know if Arnold is a great executive or similar to our new hire Klentak. I really hope Attanasio does everything he can to keep our sure thing star David Stearns.

What team gets rid of a GM without having made enough mistakes to cause the team to need major changes? You don't fire a GM because the team is a player or so away from being competitive. I'm not sure I can think of one that left the majority of the rebuild to one GM only to get another one a year or so away from being competitive. Managers yes. GM's not so much.

I didn't say we would fire him, but he doesn't have to resign. It also could just be a mutual parting of ways. If Stearns doesn't want to do a rebuild here, he ain't doing. Doesn't matter if he has 10 years on his contract or zero. The Brewers won't want a GM who isn't committed to whatever process is at hand. Be that competing or rebuilding.

He may not get dropped onto a team coming off the postseason or anything. But a larger market with good assets in place...that is a quick rebuild in a really generous situation.

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like they're getting close, not sure if anyone wants to discuss that...

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 2 months later...

https://nypost.com/2022/05/05/signs-suggest-david-stearns-interested-in-mets-top-baseball-job/

Heyman with an update. Mentions Stearns is interested but also mentions Cohen might be happy with Eppler. Who knows what to believe at this point. Either way, as posters in here have said the Brewers front office is larger than one person.

Maybe he ends up there eventually but more than likely this is typical New York "we deserve to have the best players/executives/coaches from non-coastal teams" crap that gets written all the time. I highly doubt Heyman has any more information about this than he did months ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jerichoholicninja said:

Maybe he ends up there eventually but more than likely this is typical New York "we deserve to have the best players/executives/coaches from non-coastal teams" crap that gets written all the time. I highly doubt Heyman has any more information about this than he did months ago.

If Stearns really didn't want to go home to run that team he would have signed a long term extension with the Brewers.

Community Moderator
15 minutes ago, brewers888 said:

If Stearns really didn't want to go home to run that team he would have signed a long term extension with the Brewers.

If the Brewers roster construction during his tenure is any indication, it is possible Stearns likely enjoys maintaining some degree of flexibility in his personal life as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brewers888 said:

Like any potential free agent you can't blame a guy for wanting to test the market. Doesn't mean he'll leave. By all accounts he and Mark A have had a good working relationship, perhaps that has soured a bit with the whole denying permission stuff, but it's his career and he can do what he wants. It's entirely possible he's trying for the best possible compensation package he can get from the Brewers, just as it's possible he may prefer to move on.

• Like 1
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21