Brewer Fanatic

Stearns mentioned for Met's Presidents job

brewers888

Stearns will be the President of Baseball Operations for the Mets in 2022, if not sooner.

If I was Mark A., I would trade Stearns to the Mets now for a decent return. There's no point in having DS run the Brewers for another year when you know he's leaving. And yes, he's leaving. Sandy Alderson is just keeping the seat warm for another year until DS is free of his Brewers contract.

Are all these people 12 year old boys? Stearns was a kid in Manhattan, presumably at 17 or 18 he went away to college in Cambridge, MA, then worked in Cleveland, Houston, and has lived and worked in Milwaukee the last six years. Plus, he's now a millionaire and can take the 2 hour flight to Manhattan in the lap of luxury almost whenever he chooses. Comments from writers that New York City is "home" to Stearns is most likely speculation that a kid who grew up in New York wants to return as an adult.

As for the Mets job itself, the owner certainly isn't "hands off" criticizing his team online, holding a conference to have fans identify rumor sources. Alderson made a pile of terrible decisions, (and isn't leaving his role as Team President) from front office hires which then have a trickle down effect to players on the IL ignoring team doctors to bungling the selection of Kumar Rocker 10th overall in the draft to players being allowed to express their frustrations by "booing" the fans who paid to see them play.

But that's not all. Even if there was some traction to these Stearns rumors other than some east coast writers stirring the pot, the Mets have vacancies in both the GM position and Manager position. The individuals ultimately chosen to fill those roles will be aware their tenure is most likely going to last but a year. That is not a situation which brings stability to the organization in fact it will likely only further the dysfunction. That is all without mentioning the Mets aren't good enough to compete in their Division let alone the NL, yet they already have over 100 million committed to payroll in 2023 between Robinson Cano, Jacob deGrom, Lindor and James McCann so 'tanking' with a couple of 25+ million dollar players on the roster isn't a realistic option either.

If I was Stearns I'd be careful what I wish for. The Brewers were well run and had competent people in place prior to Stearns arrival. If he leaves for the Mets he will not be taking over a franchise that was as well run and stable as the Brewers. He will be taking over a dysfunctional and poorly run organization that will need a complete overhaul top to bottom. He may have talent and money on hand but that job is not likely to be as easy to transition from crap to contender as the Brewers proved to be.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If I was Stearns I'd be careful what I wish for. The Brewers were well run and had competent people in place prior to Stearns arrival. If he leaves for the Mets he will not be taking over a franchise that was as well run and stable as the Brewers. He will be taking over a dysfunctional and poorly run organization that will need a complete overhaul top to bottom. He may have talent and money on hand but that job is not likely to be as easy to transition from crap to contender as the Brewers proved to be.

Which is what he may find to be the challenge of the job, and might draw him in...

Like someone mentioned above, we need to be worried about who he takes with him when he goes as well. Him leaving could be catastrophic to our future...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Which is what he may find to be the challenge of the job, and might draw him in...

Like someone mentioned above, we need to be worried about who he takes with him when he goes as well. Him leaving could be catastrophic to our future...

Give Attanasio's history of refusing to let people out of their contracts this probably would be limited to people with expiring contracts.

As far as the challenge of fixing a dysfunctional franchise as a draw maybe maybe not. If the challenge is dealing with a meddling/unstable owner and dysfunctional organizational structure that can't be changed I'm not sure that's the type of challenge many GM's are interested in. The whole Stearns interest in the Mets thing seems more about them being his childhood team and being a native New Yorker. I haven't seen many people talk about his interest in a new challenge.

Edited by Thurston Fluff
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I think Stearns leaving would be about the worst possible scenario for this franchise but I think either way this needs to be resolved this offseason. We need Stearns to commit and sign long term or sadly we should just let him go now. Letting him run the team knowing he is going to leave after next season is the worst case scenario.

This franchise just can't have nice things. It was so nice knowing that we had a top 5 executive and now that is possibly about to go down the drain. I hope Mark A does what it takes to keep Stearns happy in Milwaukee because the thought of him leaving is beyond sad.

Mark A will offer him a huge extension this offseason and if Stearns turns it down without any kind of counter, then it’s likely he’s looking hard at that Mets job. If he does turn down an extension, the next question would be do you just trade him to the Mets to get something in return or pray that he reconsiders.

Rays have been fine since Friedman left for LA. Astros have been fine since Luhnow got fired/suspended/whatever.

Stearns has earned the right to do whatever he wants & I'm not particularly worried should he choose to depart some time in the future.

Even if somehow the whole organization falls to shambles after he leaves...just think of all the draft picks!!

Mark A will offer him a huge extension this offseason and if Stearns turns it down without any kind of counter, then it’s likely he’s looking hard at that Mets job. If he does turn down an extension, the next question would be do you just trade him to the Mets to get something in return or pray that he reconsiders.

Those fans who think the Brewers will reload their farm system by trading Stearns to the Mets for his final season under contract will be sadly disappointed. There is no precedence of getting useable prospects for an executive.

Red Sox got Chris Carpenter (not that one) and Aaron Kurez for Epstein.

Via Jon Heyman:

Reports suggest Mets are leaving open the Baseball President job to wait for Brewers Baseball Prez David Stearns’ contract to expire. “I’m happily employed” by the Brewers, Stearns said. He declined to say if he has 1 or 2 years left (unclear if 2023 option is his or Milwaukee’s).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Tom

@Haudricourt

·

16m

Asked about the speculation that the New York Mets are willing to wait a year to hire him to run their baseball ops, #Brewers president David Stearns said, "I'm gonna steer clear of that. I think everyone, myself included, prefers keeping the attention on the players."

I'm not going to overreact to the news leaks about Stearns. If he's leaves so be it. I think it's possible to have interest in a job but not leave the job you currently have, it simply means he has interest.

I've said it before but the Brewers found Stearns, I'm confident they can find his replacement whether that's Matt Arnold or someone outside the organization. Cohen seems very intent on getting a guy that is already an established executive at the big league level. That is one way to fill a position but it's not the ONLY way. Hence how Stearns's star has risen in the first place.

I want Stearns to remain with the Brewers, if he leaves I'll be bummed a bit but it doesn't mean losing him is the end of competitive baseball in Milwaukee. Who knows, maybe the next person in charge does better? There are many bright individuals in this game, I have no doubt there's a good future executive out there that can lead the Brewers.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Are we really going to let this hang over the organization for the next year. Stearns really needs to be signed to a long term contract or he should be let go now. As professional as this GM is having him run the team knowing he is leaving after next season is not a good thing for this team to be dealing with.

Are we really going to let this hang over the organization for the next year. Stearns really needs to be signed to a long term contract or he should be let go now. As professional as this GM is having him run the team knowing he is leaving after next season is not a good thing for this team to be dealing with.

Nobody knows that Stearns is leaving after next season.

if he is making a trade with the Mets, I'd be uncomfortable with that. That being sad nobody knows what he is thinking. It is smart to play it close to the vest. It would force brewers ownership to offer a large contract extension to not lose him. If he makes it clear he wants to stay here, why would Mark A do that?

Stearns is good at his job, so he's going to get paid for it. He's in a great position right now. If he wants to go back home, it appears the door is open for him and he'll get a big contract to go. If he wants to stay in Milwaukee, he has leverage over the next year to negotiate a much bigger contract than he may have gotten if the Mets hadn't made it public that they wanted him.

I really hope he stays, but he has shown that he's one of the best in the business so he should get paid as such. I'm sure Attanasio realizes this and will put his best offer on the table.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Find out from Stearns if he wants to stay or wants to go. No way Eppler gets that job unless they believe he can bring along Stearns. The problem with a trade is why would Stearns want to bankrupt his new team with a trade for himself?? It's a problem and there are no easy answers.

Find out from Stearns if he wants to stay or wants to go. No way Eppler gets that job unless they believe he can bring along Stearns. The problem with a trade is why would Stearns want to bankrupt his new team with a trade for himself?? It's a problem and there are no easy answers.

the return on managers and front office staff is never significant.