Brewer Fanatic

Stearns mentioned for Met's Presidents job

brewers888

Stearns isn’t going to be with the Mets in 2023. Stearns seems like a great GM, but the dude isn’t one of a kind way better than every other GM by leaps and bounds. The Mets are going to find their GM this offseason and that will be that. They aren’t going to dump that guy two years later, they just won’t. Especially since they are likely to get whoever the premium candidate this offseason is.

As far as him fleecing us to someone he wants to go to…come on guys. That’s getting pretty crazy in the hypotheticals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the Athletic tonight: New York has bigger plans for its head of baseball operations. Sources say the Mets’ primary target remains Milwaukee president of baseball operations David Stearns, even if they have to wait another season to land him.

The Mets have pursued Stearns each of the last two winters to be their president of baseball operations, only to be denied permission to interview the 36-year-old by Brewers owner Mark Attanasio.

But New York is operating under the belief that Stearns’ contract runs out after the 2022 season, and sources indicate that Stearns has serious interest in the position.

Stearns is from Manhattan and grew up a Mets fan. (He once wrote for his college newspaper, the Harvard Crimson, that attending the Mets-Braves game on September 21, 2001 at Shea Stadium left him “convinced of the power of sports.”) Stearns served as an intern with the Mets in 2008, and he also worked in the commissioner’s office, with Cleveland and with Houston before landing the Brewers’ GM gig in 2015. He was promoted to president of baseball operations in Milwaukee ahead of the 2019 season, when he signed his most recent contract.

This couldn't be better for Stearns. He is the hot candidate for a job in his hometown, for the team he grew up supporting, for the wealthiest owner in the game, who is willing to wait out his contract.

He is about to get paid.

If Stearns is not extended this offseason he is probably as good as gone next offseason if we really don't have a 2023 option. The question is do we want a lame duck executive running the team if he clearly wants out. Not saying that he wouldn't do his best to help us win next season but I just don't like the prospect of our top executive having designs on another job.

Stearns has control of the entire Brewers operation and reports only to the owner, it doesn’t make much sense to leave the Milwaukee to take a job where he would report to both the Team President Alderson and Cohen.

It’s not even a lateral move, it would be a step backwards career-wise. Therefore, I’d be skeptical of any rumors coming out of New York.

Stearns has control of the entire Brewers operation and reports only to the owner, it doesn’t make much sense to leave the Milwaukee to take a job where he would report to both the Team President Alderson and Cohen.

It’s not even a lateral move, it would be a step backwards career-wise. Therefore, I’d be skeptical of any rumors coming out of New York.

Stearns would certainly not be answering to Alderson and he can name his price. If he asked for 20 million a year I doubt Cohen would say no as thats pennies to the richest owner in the sport. The question remains how much he wants to go back home and how much money he wants to demand because there are definite negatives to that job especially the owner who has quite the negative reputation.

Attanasio needs to lock Stearns up this offseason so these questions about his future end once and for all. If its clear that Stearns wants to go home we pretty much have to let him go. I think it would be disastrous for the franchise but either way we need an answer as to whether or not David wants to be here long term.

Stearns would certainly not be answering to Alderson and he can name his price. If he asked for 20 million a year I doubt Cohen would say no as thats pennies to the richest owner in the sport. The question remains how much he wants to go back home and how much money he wants to demand because there are definite negatives to that job especially the owner who has quite the negative reputation.

Attanasio needs to lock Stearns up this offseason so these questions about his future end once and for all. If its clear that Stearns wants to go home we pretty much have to let him go. I think it would be disastrous for the franchise but either way we need an answer as to whether or not David wants to be here long term.

Cohen seems to love having Alderson there. I don't think he's going anywhere. I think the power structure is a huge reason why they've had so much trouble filling that GM spot. Alderson is the team president, and his son is the assistant GM. No one wants to step into that nepotism minefield. Alderson went on record yesterday saying that he'd like to hire a GM with enough personnel background so that Alderson can take a step back from that role and focus on the business side of the team, but if they hire someone with limited experience, he'd stay involved in baseball ops. I think the only way Stearns would go to the Mets is if Alderson (and his son) are completely out.

Sandy Alderson turns 74-years old later this month, it sort of feels like he’s just providing a stopgap until they settle into a more solidified long-term front office structure.

But Bryn Alderson is only 40, and he dad is seemingly trying to set him up to eventually take the reigns. I think that is how this eventually ends.

Stearns will be the President of Baseball Operations for the Mets in 2022, if not sooner.

If I was Mark A., I would trade Stearns to the Mets now for a decent return. There's no point in having DS run the Brewers for another year when you know he's leaving. And yes, he's leaving. Sandy Alderson is just keeping the seat warm for another year until DS is free of his Brewers contract.

I tend to believe these things are more systemic than based on a single person. The systems are in place to be "sustainably competitive" with or without DS. I think the GM has more ability to mess it all up than he is responsible for its success. The replacement they have in the wings will probably do just fine. It's hiring Hawk Harrelson or something that can send the whole thing sideways.

I tend to believe these things are more systemic than based on a single person. The systems are in place to be "sustainably competitive" with or without DS. I think the GM has more ability to mess it all up than he is responsible for its success. The replacement they have in the wings will probably do just fine. It's hiring Hawk Harrelson or something that can send the whole thing sideways.

We will soon see if your theory is correct........sadly.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

About 2 years ago my brother (software engineer) had an interview with the Brewers for a position he ultimately didn't get. He met with Will Hudgins, the VP of Baseball Product & Strategy, though he was something lower at the time. At one point my brother asked for an example of a project, to which he replied "Well this team is directly responsible for player acquisition, so we don't really discuss the specifics of what we do in interviews."

Ultimately, the buck stops with Stearns when it comes to the roster, but I'd guess that the bulk of prospective targets are sent up the chain to him by other folks. I just can't see this being a one-man show with how limited the resources are.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think it's a big issue if Stearns takes a bunch of people with him.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006