Brewer Fanatic

Stearns mentioned for Met's Presidents job

brewers888

It tells me that the Brewer fan base consist of small time thinkers and being completely satisfied with what they get, and 100% eat up the line about "the payroll" BS that is constantly touted. Such guillable fans. But hey, get excited about the offseason when they sign a low impact bat(s) again, like you always do and go on and on about how great it will be and what a great signing it is/was...If I didn't know any better I'd think you worked for the Brewers as much as you constantly drink the kool aid. Everyone gets a trophy in your world Ron. Admit it.

Sure. A bunch of rational baseball fans are wrong. You are right. Carry on.

That was also a completely mature way to react on being called out on a hot take, too.

You keep dodging the fact that you KNOW I'm right at how satisfied you are etc. It's pathetic small time thinking. You aren't rational...you drink the kool aid period. You buy into whatever Stearns/Mark A tell you. They can spend more in FA, 100% guaranteed they can, but because they tell you they can't it's "oh ok". What a world.

It tells me that the Brewer fan base consist of small time thinkers and being completely satisfied with what they get, and 100% eat up the line about "the payroll" BS that is constantly touted. Such guillable fans. But hey, get excited about the offseason when they sign a low impact bat(s) again, like you always do and go on and on about how great it will be and what a great signing it is/was...If I didn't know any better I'd think you worked for the Brewers as much as you constantly drink the kool aid. Everyone gets a trophy in your world Ron. Admit it.

Sure. A bunch of rational baseball fans are wrong. You are right. Carry on.

That was also a completely mature way to react on being called out on a hot take, too.

You keep dodging the fact that you KNOW I'm right at how satisfied you are etc. It's pathetic small time thinking. You aren't rational...you drink the kool aid period. You buy into whatever Stearns/Mark A tell you. They can spend more in FA, 100% guaranteed they can, but because they tell you they can't it's "oh ok". What a world.

Also a completely rational response. You really showed me :rolleyes

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stearns, like every executive, has a budget. wanting him to run in the red so you can get what you want is a pipe dream. mark a didn't buy the team to lose money. even for a year. being angry about it won't make it a reality. calling people names won't either.

Lets knock it off with the childish insults and name calling, for crying out loud. everyone.....

Stearns, like every executive, has a budget. wanting him to run in the red so you can get what you want is a pipe dream. mark a didn't buy the team to lose money. even for a year. being angry about it won't make it a reality. calling people names won't either.

Attanasio didn't become a billionaire by making poor investments. And he didn't with the Brewers, either. The value of the team has risen significantly since he took over. But anyone educated in business would tell you that even with successful business ventures, you need to be careful with how much money is spent year to year. Because it typically doesn't take many poor decisions for a strong investment to turn into a compromised one.

Saw the activity in the thread. Thought there was actual news. Nope. Just Brewcrewin07.

Jon Heyman reported last night that Stearns has 1 year left on his deal, which is news (atleast to me).

Yes you can deny permission if the brewers are asked, but then you risk him not extending his deal

Saw the activity in the thread. Thought there was actual news. Nope. Just Brewcrewin07.

Jon Heyman reported last night that Stearns has 1 year left on his deal, which is news (atleast to me).

Yes you can deny permission if the brewers are asked, but then you risk him not extending his deal

Attanasio needs to have a heart-to-heart with Stearns and find out what his future plans truly are. If he has aspirations of moving to a bigger market, it is only a matter of time before he does. And if that's the case, it is probably best for the team's future to look at what sort of compensation the Mets are making available to acquire a team president currently under contract.

But if Stearns is truly happy with the Brewers, and sees his role as long-term, then this will be a non-story quite quickly.

That's true. In my mind, I thought we already knew that, but I realize now it was just an assumption until that point. Thanks.

Keep in mind that Attanassio voted against Cohen buying the Mets so I don't see him being willing to let him steal our top executive. I think Mark realizes what he has in Stearns and will make him one of the top paid executives in the game.

thats fine and I don't anticipate Stearns getting permission. BUT you can't have a club president in a lame duck situation. There would be no need to build for the future, since you aren't part of it.

If the mets want him, they can hire an interim for a year and steal Stearns next winter. Mark A needs to see if he will commit to being here.

Keep in mind that Attanassio voted against Cohen buying the Mets so I don't see him being willing to let him steal our top executive. I think Mark realizes what he has in Stearns and will make him one of the top paid executives in the game.

thats fine and I don't anticipate Stearns getting permission. BUT you can't have a club president in a lame duck situation. There would be no need to build for the future, since you aren't part of it.

If the mets want him, they can hire an interim for a year and steal Stearns next winter. Mark A needs to see if he will commit to being here.

We SOOOOO need a like button on this site.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Everything we have ever heard about the way the Brewers organization is run suggests that if Stearns really wants to explore the opening with the Mets, then ultimately, the Brewers will let him. It's just bad business, in general, holding an employee hostage or preventing them from other opportunities that they want to pursue.

We can only hope that if Stearns is interested, Attanasio is able to compete with the offer and do everything in his power to make Stearns want to stay. If Stearns still decides the Mets opportunity is better for him then that will be a tough pill to swallow but such is business.

I heard an interview a week or so ago with Buster Olney and he was of the belief that the Brewers have an option year on Stearns contract. I would let Burnes walk before letting Stearns leave and I hope Attanasio feels the same way and locks David up long term.

Their biggest expenditures have mostly been disasters.

Which big expenditures have been disasters?

Braun's contract was signed before Stearns & company got here. He put up 8 WAR for about 95 million once you account for the pandemic discount, not great value, but hardly a disaster, and even with Braun only contributing about 3.5 WAR over the last four years the Brewers still made the playoffs three of those years, missed by a game in the fourth and won the 10th most games in MLB over that stretch.

Cain has put up 12 WAR so far for about 46 million with the pandemic discount, very good value for a Free Agent signing & the Brewers have won the 7th most games in MLB over that stretch making the postseason every year.

The Yelich extension might look like a disaster, but it hasn't even started, so it hasn't really been a disaster.

No other contract has contained enough money to really be disastrous. Even JBJs payments are so spread out that they shouldn't hinder financial flexibility much...2021 (3 million) 2022 (3.666 million) 2023 (3.167 million) 2024 (7.167 million) 2025 (7 million)

I heard an interview a week or so ago with Buster Olney and he was of the belief that the Brewers have an option year on Stearns contract. I would let Burnes walk before letting Stearns leave and I hope Attanasio feels the same way and locks David up long term.

Why not? They have an option year on every person they sign to a deal. :tongue

The lame duck season thing is such a non issue.

A) He would really have no idea what his future might hold after this year. He could decide to test the waters, but he wouldn’t really know how it would end up. He could just end up signing here long term. Maybe the Mets would hire him…but maybe not. The Mets may just suddenly go a different direction.

B) Pretty sure Stearns has the professionalism to not just recklessly run the Brewers. If he has any inclination of doing that he would probably tell the Brewers to go with someone else.

C) Recklessly running the Brewers and being a poor GM in 2022 would be dumb and how would other teams view that when considering to hire him?

D) The Brewers literally let lame duck Doug Melvin start one of the biggest rebuilds in team history despite having zero shot of being the long term GM.

I never said he would ruin the brewers intentionally. If he felt that that 2022 was his last year in Milwaukee he may trade top prospects for rentals to win it all that he may not have in the past.

Melvin made some minor trades before he left, a-ram was the biggest one and he got little back. All of the major trades were done by stearns.

I never said he would ruin the brewers intentionally. If he felt that that 2022 was his last year in Milwaukee he may trade top prospects for rentals to win it all that he may not have in the past.

Melvin made some minor trades before he left, a-ram was the biggest one and he got little back. All of the major trades were done by stearns.

Doug Melvin traded Carlos Gomez.

Doug Melvin traded Carlos Gomez.

Yeah the final year of Melvin was actually pretty important to set us up for the future.

They drafted Trent Grisham(and Jonathan India but he didn't sign), traded for Hader, Houser and Zach Davies, along with other future trade pieces Domingo Santana and Brett Phillips. 2015 Was a pretty important year for the future.

As an aside, Phillips really surprised me with how good he's been the last couple of years. Obviously nothing great on offense but he's like a JBJ that can hit just a bit and plays(arguably) better defense.

I'd hate to see us get fleeced in a Mets trade with Stearns knowing he will be there in 2023.

That would be pretty classless on his part, but if he knows he is going to leave, and has an idea where he might be going, what is to stop him from making a deal with a team that would benefit him in the future when he goes to that team?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm pretty sure he needs ownership approval on all trades so the odds that he would let the Mets fleece us isn't that great. My comment was based on the possibility of trading top prospects for rentals to try to win in all and let the new GM deal with the farm system.

He said all of the right stuff today, so maybe this whole conspiracy theory is a moot point.

With the reporting that Stearns is actually under contract for two more years (one year and a team option) that seemingly changes the calculus a bit. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t remain in Milwaukee for the next two years.
Not just “at Night” anymore.