Brewer Fanatic

RIP Norm MacDonald

homer

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Stand up comedian and SNL alum succumbs to a 9 year fight with cancer.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Whoa, what?? I didn't know he had cancer. Maybe he didn't announce it.

Really terrible. And the talk show he was doing was terrific. He really took that "I don't care" style of comedy and ran with it, especially because most comedians who say they don't care really do. But I always had the sense that he never so much sought out the stardom but took the opportunity when it came to him, but that deep down he was always just an on-the-road comedian, and so if the big-time rejected him, he'd still never lose what he loved doing. And so he really just didn't care. Really one of the funniest comedians out there.

His bit with Cortney Thorne-Smith on Conan was probably the funniest late-night moment I've ever seen. He did about the same thing when Thomas Haden-Church (Wings) was on one of the shows, Norm just started making jokes. You could see it really annoyed TH-C, but ultimately Norm was just trying to rescue a boring interview and make it funny again.

"If it's got Carrot Top in it, I know what the movie's name should be. How about "Box Office Poison."

Takes guts to tell this one. Charles Woodson at the ESPYs (OJ reference)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The movie Dirty Work was one of my favorite movies always made me laugh in that movie.

I’m too young to remember much of Norm from his SNL days, but Dirty Work was one of my favorite movies as a teen. I believe it was also directed by Bob Saget and included Chris Farley’s last film appearance.

Rest In Peace, Norm.

Introduced my kids to a bunch of SNL Celebrity Jeopardy clips last night. MacDonald's bits sometimes didn't hit home, and he was certainly an acquired taste as the anchor of Weekend Update, but his comedic timing was impeccable, as was his ability to not break character in some of the best skits in the show's history.

I spent last night watching Norm clips and laughing hysterically. I always loved him as the weekend update anchor on SNL. I always appreciated his comedy, but I can't say I was an avid follower. After last night, and all those clips, I now feel like I'll miss him quite a bit. It's a weird feeling when someone from your youth passes. Brings back a lot of good memories. Glad he's not having to battle cancer anymore. But as he once joked about cancer, he didn't lose to cancer because when he died, so did the cancer, so to him, that's a draw.

Dirty work is one of my all time favorites

one of his better lines;

"at number one on the billboard charts this week ... better than ezra ..."

[stares straight at camera]

"at number two ... EZRA"

its not even that his jokes were that funny, but his delivery is one of the best of all time.

I went to his twitter account just out of curiosity and this was his pinned tweet. Very interesting.

Maybe it was his last bet?

Norm was one of my alltime favorite comedians - when I was still living near Chicago I went to see him do standup at a Zanies, and while he was still really funny there were segments of his routine that were a bit strange. He told some really uncomfortable jokes even for him, and what made it uncomfortable was that his delivery didn't seem like he typically would make it and at times he seemed like his mind was elsewhere and he could care less if the room was enjoying the show.

Overall, it was still good and at the time we chalked up some of those weird moments of his set to him either being bored/annoyed doing a show in the far north burbs of Chicago or possibly he was 3 sheets to the wind by the time he got on stage....now following his death I realized that if accounts of his 9 year battle with cancer are accurate, we likely saw his show right around the time he either found out about his diagnosis or quite possibly in the midst of initial treatment - and his scattershot demeanor during that set now seems alot more plausible due to that.

RIP Norm...you'll be missed!

His era of SNL and particularly his time behind the desk at WU was what I grew up with. I agree with what others have said - if you just read his jokes, you probably wouldn't even find it funny. But his delivery is what made it work.

One of the best skits he was ever in is when he's in a car crash and Sylvester Stallone happens to be the first person on the scene, but even as he's slowly losing consciousness he doesn't pass up the opportunity to absolutely roast Stallone's career decisions in terms of what movies he's been in. :laughing

Gruber Lawffices

One of the best skits he was ever in is when he's in a car crash and Sylvester Stallone happens to be the first person on the scene, but even as he's slowly losing consciousness he doesn't pass up the opportunity to absolutely roast Stallone's career decisions in terms of what movies he's been in. :laughing

Stop.

Stop.

Stop, or my Mom Will Shoot!

Haven't seen the sketch in years, but I can hear Norm saying it like it was yesterday. RIP

Stop.

Stop.

Stop, or my Mom Will Shoot!

Haven't seen the sketch in years, but I can hear Norm saying it like it was yesterday. RIP

Haha, that skit was great. I thought the ending where he thinks he's found a copy of "Rambo" in the car, proving he was a fan after all, only to be mistaken once he sees the full title, was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen at the time, lol.

So sad to see Norm gone so soon. He was just a funny dude. There's nothing funnier than the storytelling he did as a guest on Conan and Letterman.

• 8 months later...

Came across this interview Norm did with Dennis Miller. Don't know if he was a Brewer fan but he owned a hat:

Y6LNM9P.png

On 6/18/2022 at 12:32 PM, homer said:

Came across this interview Norm did with Dennis Miller. Don't know if he was a Brewer fan but he owned a hat:

Y6LNM9P.png

He was good friends with Uecker. He has some great stories about him.

The Twins Daily Caretaker Fund
The Brewer Fanatic Caretaker Fund

You all care about this site. The next step is caring for it. We’re asking you to caretake this site so it can remain the premier Brewers community on the internet. Included with caretaking is ad-free browsing of Brewer Fanatic.